Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kireland_gw

Advice on Material/Finshes for Guest Bath Reno

kireland
10 years ago

Hello, I relied heavily on this site for my kitchen remodel in 2011 and now that we are doing our upstairs guest bath I'm back!!

It measures 4.5 ft.x7.25 ft. and is used daily by my husband. We are removing the standard sized tub and replacing it with a walk in shower (same size as tub) that will have a glass wall enclosure (going to start with just the wall and add a door if the water is too much). The shower floor will be a white pan for ease of replacing the tub/resale.
My H likes the overall bathroom design below, but we will be using a weathered pine vanity (will post photo in follow up to this post - can't figure out how to post more than one photo).
Going to go with the commode and brushed nickel medicine chest as shown and add a white cabinet over the commode- I think the white will tie in with the shower pan and sink (will post photo in follow-up post).
We like the wall tile and molding as shown in the picture and I am thinking larger format tile for the flooring in a similar material/colour as the vanity top (hard to tell the exact colour but it is off white marble). We will tile the shower to the ceiling with either the same tile as the floor OR in the same wall tile.
Here is where I need your advice...

Would you do the subway tile shown on the walls in the shower as well? Or would you tile the shower to match the flooring? I am wondering about it being too much subway tile and whether the wall tiles should be distinctive from the shower surround. How large should I go with the floor tiles? The room is small - will too large a tile (e.g. 18x18) overpower it?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz