Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hedygs

Is there a size rule for mirror over vanity?

hedygs
12 years ago

The vanity we are using is 39X21 with the sink being 40" wide. Is there a rule as to the size of the mirror to use over the vanity?

I want to put sconces on each side of the mirror so I need to start looking for the proper mirror so the electrician can determine where the electrical boxes should be.

Argh....

Comments (16)

• lee676
    12 years ago

Yeah, make it big enough so you can see yourself clearly....

I sorta like the mirror to be the same width as the sink, but obviously if the sink is up against one wall, or both walls, you'll need a narrower mirror to fit the sconces in (especially for surface-mounted cabinet mirrors that protrude from the wall), unless they are built into the mirror. Be sure the mirror is several inches taller than anyone who is going to use it or else you won't be able to see the top of your head.

• hedygs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My mirror size choices are either:

31 1/2 X 37 3/4 OR
    39 3/8 X 37 3/4.

Sconces on each side of the mirror. The mirror is just that not a medicine cabinet.

• hedygs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks lee. How high would the mirror have to be hung? The vanity will be floated at 36" and the mirror I think I have to use (to accomodate the sconces) is the 31 1/2. If I rest the mirror at the top of the vanity it will only be 67" from the floor. Is that a little too low?

• hedygs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think it is probably too low not that I have any idea how tall the tallest person would be to use it. It's a bathroom basement. unframed and the ceiling height is approx 7 1/2 ft.

I think we need a 4" backsplash.

• rsvlle-nj
    12 years ago

If you are using the 31.5 x 37.75" mirror and you hang it vertically...then you are at 73.75..not 67. If you use a 4" backsplash than you bring the mirror up that much higher. That would be fine...

• hedygs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are absolutely right. Do I need the backsplash then?

• hedygs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ugh then the standard height for the sconces of 66" would be too low if I do the back splash. Right? Wrong? Get me a tape measure....

• rsvlle-nj
    12 years ago

I think the height of the sconce is somewhat dependent on the length of the sconce and personal preference. Robern has a 10.2" sconce that I was looking at and they recommend that the junction box center be 2" above center line of the mirror.

HTH...

• hedygs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

2' about the center line? Really need that tape measure don't I?

I was looking at the Eurofase Donna but have read some reviews that don't make me happy. We wanted to mount them vertically.

So I went searching more and found this Alico fixture.

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/bathroom-lighting/alico-industries-bv861-10-15-enterprise-bathroom-light-chrome_g262419.html?isku=2277976&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

Here is a link that might be useful: Eurofase

• rsvlle-nj
    12 years ago

Check out houzz.com for some ideas...

• elk2000
    11 years ago

I have a linen cabinet and vanity being custom made, and need to decide what size of mirror to put there. The linen cabinet is 14" (and tall), vanity is 40" right next to linen cabinet. The rectangular sink (17") is not centered on the vanity, it will be more to the right which means I can't put a mirror in the center of the vanity, it won't look good. So, I can order 40" mirror that covers all open space above vanity or put standard mirror right above sink. But I'm not sure having mirror that is not centered will look that good. Any suggestions?
    ***********************000000000****

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

@ elk2000. You probably have your mirror dilemma resolved by now but for those you have an off-set sink, see the attached photo. Hopefully it will give you an idea re mirror sizing/placement. Personally I think it looks doable.

• mae1
    8 years ago

Awkward looking, mirrors too small

• Bunny
    8 years ago

I was told to follow Fibonacci.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

I'm with mae, that would drive me crazy!