Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Update: my vanity was fixed very well

threeapples
10 years ago

Not sure if I posted this here or on another forum, but I screwed up our nero marquina vanity top by scouring etch marks (I know, I know). Anyway, my marble polishing friend came by and made this look brand new. Thank goodness all is well. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Comments (12)

• Gracie
    10 years ago

You posted this on the Kitchen forums. Glad to hear it looks like new again!

• enduring
    10 years ago

I would have loved to see a before and after picture. How did the polishing get done? Did they have to do the whole slab or just an area? I am going to get a marble slab for my vanity and will have it honed, but I am curious how to prevent and rectify issues of finish.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

enduring:

Forget about preventing issues of finish. If you install a marble vanity, plan on having it refinished occasionally, depending on how fussy you are.

Your car doesn't run on the same oil.

• lillo
    10 years ago

Hi enduring , I am glad you found a marble slab to your liking . Can you post a picture of it ?
    Threeapples , I would like also to know if the whole slab was polished or just the etch marks, as I have same issue in my newly installed calacata marble , thanks to the stupid workers of my lousy GC .

• enduring
    10 years ago

Trebruchet, thanks, I will keep the option of refinishing open. I am not too fussy though :)

Lillo, I have not confirmed if I can switch my marble out for the Thassos looking marble, I am still in discussions. My vanity isn't in yet but should be in the next few weeks.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am not sure since I wasn't home when the refinishing was done, but I will ask and post back. I'll post some before/after photos as well.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the before. They only needed to work on the area I damaged.

• Debbi Branka
    10 years ago

3apples - tell me what exactly you did that with. I have some etching on my island marble that I tried to lighten/ease with cleanser and several other things. The etching doesn't bother me so much, but I was curious if I could "fix" it. I have honed marble. I thought you were in the Detroit metro area, but I may be confused. If you are, who fixed it for you? Thanks!

• enduring
    10 years ago

Great before picture :), now where is the after ?

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I keep forgetting to take an after photo. Sorry.
    I scrubbed etch marks with the rough side of a sponge. The marble polisher buffed out only this small area. You can't even tell anything happened.
    No, I'm not in Michigan, sorry.
    I'll post back an updated photo soon.

• lillo
    10 years ago

Thank you threeapples . I don't know why the marble company that I got to give me an estimate told me that I have to do the whole area and not just the scratches . Does it make a difference if it's granite or marble ? I think I should get another estimate from another company .

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

lillo:

They told you they had to do the whole top because the area they fix is going to look fantastic, especially compared to the rest. I run into this all the time and have the same policy.