Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phiwwy

In a little panic - faucets may be too large for sinks

phiwwy
11 years ago

We are not moved into our master bathroom yet - but the sinks we purchased are tiny (we wanted counter space). The faucets are Rohl Country Collection and arched. The water lands on the far side of the drain and the arch really extends quite a bit over the sink. Did I screw up? Can anything be done? I fear that when leaning over to wash my face it will land all over the faucet (and it will), and that when brushing teeth, well there is just not a lot of space there between the faucet and front edge of the sink. Can post a pix later....

Comments (40)

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

That is my fear with the vessel sink in general. Post a photo, but it sounds iffy, sorry to say. Thanks for weighing in on my question!

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

That's a gorgeous faucet and marble top. The sink does look pretty small in the picture. What brand/model is it and what are the dimensions? Do you have a picture looking more straight on (and slightly down) to the vanity?

Since the faucet is already installed, even if it isn't hooked up, have you tried bending over the sink as if you were washing your face, brushing teeth, etc.? If you are physically able to but it just seems cramped, it may be something that you will get used to.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. The granite is ivory supreme/super white depending on what you call it. The sink is Porcer, 13 1/2 x 9" inside dimensions. The faucet seems to come out 4.5 inches to the center then the water lands on my side of the drain. No splashing but the 4.5 inches between the faucet and this side of the sink is sooooo small. I think they could have, should have set the faucet back quite a bit more. Here's another picture. I could buy another spout a lower, shorter one perhaps (or ask the granite guy to buy for me).

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I think it's beautiful, but definitely too large for the sink, or at least installed too far forward. You'll be happier with a smaller scale faucet, I think.

• kmcg
    11 years ago

I hate to say this, but that would drive me crazy. Though it's gorgeous, the spout seems too large for a very small sink. My new installation has an 18" x 12" rectangular sink, and the faucet extends just 3" into the sink. It works for tooth brushing, face washing, etc. The stone fabricator put the center of the faucet 2.5" back from the edge. And it's a petite faucet to begin with, because I wanted to make sure it didn't interfere with the swing of a tall medicine cabinet door.

Can you find a shorter spout?

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The granite guy is going to recut the holes and set the faucets as far back as he can without the holes showings.

There is a smaller spout that that has a 1/2" less reach, which I can buy individually. Or I can ask the granite guy to buy both large faucet sets and then I could buy the full set for each of the sinks (this is a double vanity).

Not a fun situation. I'm not trying to place blame - but how could this have been avoided? Any thoughts?

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

My stepson has a small sink with a faucet that juts out into it. When we've visited, it is a pain, because the faucet is right in the drip-off-your-face or spit-your-toothpaste zone, so you have to maneuver to work around it. Definitely avoid it. I don't think shifting it 1/2" is going to be sufficient.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Did you have a GC? If not, then it seems that you and the plumber should have figured out where the faucet should be placed and communicated that to the granite person. I know I was a complete nervous wreck about my faucet/sink placement because it was a vessel sink with a wall faucet and I didn't trust the plumber at all. I drove him and my gc crazy getting it all set up so the water fell where it should without splash. I didn't leave it to chance.

If you bought faucets from your plumber, then s/he should have advised you they were probably too large for your sinks. If you purchased on your own, then you probably should have made sure they would work with the sink and told the granite person how you wanted them placed.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

In my remodel, I have figured out and placed every hole, fixture, etc.

Making your faucet mounting hole larger will only help by maybe 3/4" or so, maybe less.

I would buy new with smaller reach.

From the spec (or measure) what is the reach, from hole center to end of spout?

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Agreed, on all fronts. No we no longer have a GC (he would never have cared enough to pick up on this anyway). Plumber was not there. I was there, granite guy cut the standard holes before I could weigh in. I did not buy on my own - I bought EVERYTHING - thousands of dollars worth - from a kitchen/bath showroom. The sink was the smallest of the collection, the faucet the largest. Never should have been put together. The sales person (a good friend now) should have picked up on the mismatch of sizes.

If I didn't have vanity towers installed already on the counter top, I'd ask for a new top.

Does anyone forsee a problem if they recut the hole a bit bigger, assuming it's covered? Will the faucet spout become loose? What else might I have to worry about????

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I would worry that if the hole is cut bigger and the spout is just too big, it still won't work and the oversize hole might make it difficult for you to place a smaller spout there. I think I'd make a fuss with the supplier and ask to exchange for a more appropriate sized spout or faucet set. You may need to get a whole new set to get something small enough, as it looks like Rohl's are all a pretty large reach. Can you check the specs on yours to see if it really is 5...most that I saw in that line were 5.5 reach, but don't know your exact model.

This is a good site to look at options because it lists the reach of each faucet without having to open each spec sheet. I don't know if you can add any spout to any brand's valve? I'd call on the expertise of your friend (if you can trust her again) to find out just what you can do. I wouldn't cut the counter yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: faucet choices

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for that link olychick - very helpful!

The Rohl I have happens to have the largest reach. In the same collection is this one
    http://www.faucet.com/mediabase/specifications/rohl_a1408xm_2_specsheet_614.pdf
    with the smallest overall reach. Same size holes as the faucet I have.

Another I found is also Rohl, and since I have polished nickel, unfortunately many that I've seen on the web with a reach under 4.5 don't come in polished nickel. The Rohl I found was this one:
    http://www.faucet.com/rohl-u-3760l-pn-2-polished-nickel-perrin-and-rowe-low-lead-widespread-bathroom-faucet-with-metal-and-porcelain-capped-lever/f1143923

But the hole sizes spec'd are slightly smaller.

Does anyone know if this could be used in my existing holes? I have no idea how faucets get installed but will ask the plumber how much play we have.

Everyone seems to think we can cut the holes, move the faucet back a little (and replace later if we want a different one) and cover with the escutian. Is this ok as long as the hole does not show?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rohl C spout with 4 15/16 reach

• Olychick
    11 years ago

How long is the reach of your current faucet? As small as your sink is, I'm wondering if 4 15/16 is still too large? If you look where yours is hitting, and yours is 5.5" you would essentially get just 9/16" with the smallest Rohl. How much room is the granite guy thinking he can buy you with a bigger hole? If it's a 1/4" or so, then if you look where your spout is hitting, you'll gain less than an inch, which still puts the spout on the far side the drain instead of on or behind it. I think it looks like you need a couple of inches for it to be right. I wouldn't drill until you try a smaller set.

Here are some pics of how the water should fall...Even in much larger sinks, most of them show the water at or behind the drain, but your sink is so tiny, I'd want the spout/water as far back as possible.

Also, will the spout be misaligned with the handles if it is moved back? Will that drive you crazy?

Here is a link that might be useful: Faucet reach

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Current faucet reach is 5.5".

Granite guy was just here, along w/ plumber's OK/blessing, moved the hole back a bit, between 1/2 and 3/4", faucet spout is back in and is still secure (that was one concern that it would wobble).

Yes with the smallest Rohl, I will gain another 9/16". However, there is yet another Rohl, see link below, with a 4.5" spout reach, but that would require buying 2 whole sets instead of just the spout.

I have to consult w/ plumber as to whether the current holes as drilled would be ok but this could buy me another full inch. Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rohl Perrin & Rowe

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's one more picture for comparison after moving the spout back.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Well, from that view, it looks a LOT better. How does it seem to you? If it's close, then just get the spout replacement and try it. If your supplier won't let you return it if you don't like the fit, then find an online supplier that has a good return policy, buy one and try it. The one you linked is also beautiful. Gorgeous counter, too.

• itltrot
    11 years ago

I really don't have any good advice on the situation but wanted to tell you the granite is gorgeous and is stunning with the polished nickel.

I can't wait to see the rest of the room!

• kmcg
    11 years ago

I agree - the granite is amazing!

I wonder if the high arch in the faucet is part of the problem. That profile kind of makes it dominate the sink. Think about a lower profile maybe? Here's a link to one that's 4 7/8 reach.

How far from the sink edge is the center of the hole for the spout?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Bancroft faucet

• kmcg
    11 years ago

And here's a Grohe that's similar, at 4 3/4"

Here is a link that might be useful: Grohe Seabury

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the compliments on the granite. There's a story behind that too, as the original piece from the slab broke during installation - so this does not match the rest of the bathroom. I'll post pix of the rest soon once I solve this faucet issue.

Oly - it's definitely a bit better. Haven't tested face washing though. I still think replacing the faucet spout will make it as ideal as it can be. Any suggestions on an online source w/ a good return policy? I've only seen 15% restocking. If I buy from my salesperson - at least I can buy just the spout and that's less money but then I have 2 spouts I can't sell.
    kmcg - I think the high arc on my current spout contributes to the problem - one alternative has an arc but not as far-reaching. I think if I replaced the spout I would go with this one. Slight arch, but it would buy me a little over 1/2".

Do you all like this one?

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another option is from a different line - and to buy either the spout or the full set. I have to check the size and that the rim/escutian covers the elongated hole - therefore a return policy would be crucial.
    My question for you is - would you put this spout with my existing handles, or buy the hole set? This would buy me a full inch and would be the best I can do. I prefer to stick with Rohl so that it matches the finishes/style in the shower and accessories.

• kmcg
    11 years ago

I like that one. The base of the spout appeals to me more than the arched one with a fatter base.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks kmcg - but would you put that spout with my existing handles? Or buy the whole shebang and bank on trying to sell the previously installed sets??

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I love the last one you posted and it looks similar enough that I'd think no one but you would know they weren't a set. If it will bug you, though, just get the whole set and chalk it up to a learning experience.

• kmcg
    11 years ago

I think that last spout would look great with the existing lever handles. Do you save much by buying just the spout? There wouldn't be much of a resale market for just the spout of the old faucets, but you would probably easily sell the entire sets on craigslist or ebay if they are complete.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I like the last spout too, mainly because it very closely resembles the one included with the existing set. Plus it's got the shortest reach. Spout only (with necessary parts) is $257. The whole set is $560. x2. I was thinking I could donate the extra spouts and claim a decent tax deduction. I looked on ebay, don't see there what I need, but it's hard to tell if these things are selling at the stated prices. There sure area a lot of em.

Here's a photo, finally, of the whole vanity (tower doors are just leaning, new ones are on order).

As long as we're discussing - the next decision is whether to put a framed mirror (a few considerations are setting on the counter) or just fill the space with a beveled mirror and float the sconces in the mirror. Below is a link to the sconces. I'll also post a pix of the chandelier and shower. I feel like I want a dressy mirror but don't want to yuck it up. Love to hear your thoughts once again.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Hudson Valley Sconce[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/hudson-valley-lighting-8421-one-light-wall-sconce-from-the-rockland-collection-phvw-vp~777901)

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shower...

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chandelier.... would have loved more crystals but DH nixed the idea.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

Love your selections! Your room is going to be a real showstopper! The basketweave tile in your shower is lovely. (I'm curious though... is that a hook beneath the tile mural?)

We had a similar decision to make about the mirrors in our his and hers vanities. Like you, we have towers and a valance across and had chosen sconces for either side of the sinks. We opted to go with a full mirror that was made to follow the contour of the eliptical arched valance and then mounted our sconces through the mirror. Ultimately, we decided that a framed mirror would make the area too visually busy and I wanted our faucets (the room's jewelry, IMO) to be centerstage. I'm very happy with this decision. BTW, our mirror guy told us to skip the $$ of having the mirrors beveled because it would be unnoticeable against the dark wood of the upper cabinets. If you do go with a full mirror, be sure that they put black tape on the wall at the outer perimeter edges so that you don't get a refection of the wall, which would be noticeable!

I've included a link to my masterbath photos so you can get a better idea of what I am describing.

I can't wait to see more pictures of your beautiful space!

Here is a link that might be useful: My masterbath reveal

Here is a link that might be useful: My masterbath reveal

This post was edited by treasuretheday on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 6:25

• Olychick
    11 years ago

It's really a beautiful space with stunning selections. I think treasure gave you perfect mirror advice. Your hubby did well with the chandelier nix. It's very nice and not as expected as a more sparkly one.

Oh, and faucets...just make sure the handles aren't a lot longer than the ones made to go with the smaller spout. You wouldn't want them out of scale.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Just to throw another kink in the mix, the base of the last spout you show is small. Will your larger hole be covered? I thing I read that the plumber elongated the hole so the current spout could be set back. The first replacement spout you show above looks a lot like the base of your existing spout and might work out better overall.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

First, let me say how very much I appreciate everyone's help with this. My salesperson is not really processing through this with me.

treasure - your bathroom is stunning, I have seen your pix before and just love it. good to see the frameless mirror as well... that's the way I'm leaning but have a while to decide. have to deal with this faucet issue pronto while I still have the plumber engaged.

the "hook" beneath the panel is an extra hand shower holder, so it's accessible while sitting on the bench which does not show in the pic.

Back to the handles/faucet - great point oly - here are the specs for each (I wish I knew how to make these clickable):
    this is the one I currently have, and would like to keep the handles:
    http://www.rohlhome.com/pdf/220.pdf

This is the spout I'm leaning to:
    http://www.rohlhome.com/pdf/1020.pdf

Yes enduring - the size of the hole is a huge consideration. The plumber measured it from the underside and we think it will work. I'm going to ask DH to loosen the faucets enough so we can measure the hole. Yes, absolutely the 1st replacement spout will fit - same size base and same size spec'd holes. I actually think that the 1st one is more lovely but I want the extra 1/2" of space the other affords!

I will maybe just buy each and insist that my salesperson take 2 back once I decide. If that fails, I learned that AMEX still has purchase protection and that may ensure I can receive credit. I hate to do that, but I don't know how to tell otherwise.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Phylhl, I see that you mentioned the issue with the hole in your post with the second option. And I thought I re-read carefully, oh well, carry on :)

I hope this all works out, there are a lot of variables I see. Can't wait to see the finished results. You have a beautiful space in the works!

• kmcg
    11 years ago

phylhl - You're making me jealous! The shower fixtures are wonderful - Rohl also, I assume? The vanity is going to be gorgeous. I like treasure's suggestion of the full mirror with sconces mounted on it. That's certainly what Candace Olsen would do :) And the chandelier is very cool - gives a nice edge to an elegant room.

For ebay, you can click on "completed listings" in the left bar if you want to see what things actually sell for. But if you can afford to buy just the spouts and donate the rest, that would sure be a lot easier - especially at a busy time like this!

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you so much. yes from looking at pix on houzz, seems the better look is mirror without frame. done.

thanks for the ebay tip! will look.

but i do think i will end up buying just the spouts.

kmcg - yes, most of the stuff in the shower is Rohl - the rainshower is hans grohe and the trim is also hans grohe. the finishes are not exact but close enough. once the glass is in it will not be as evident - and of course once we crank up that steam we won't care about the finish, or the faucets, or anything (hopefully).

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oooh, may I ask you all another question? I need to decide the height of the backsplash on the vanity. 6 or 7". Here are pix of the mosaic pieced together with the topper and bottom (albeit laid out on the floor) so you get the idea. Or should I wait til I know the faucet? keep in mind there is a lot of space between the back of the faucet and the wall. thanks again, ever so much :-)

This pix is the larger one, total height 7".

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And this shows total height of 6".

• enduring
    11 years ago

Is the bottom portion, a representation of the counter, or is it a detail that will be on the wall? If it is a detail on the wall (fancy pencil) it could possibly be difficult to keep clean. With the crown that big (is it 3"?) I think a taller mosaic would be more in scale.

Another thought, if you go with a fancy mirror frame, what about using that bottom small crown on the top instead? Taking out the larger one altogether. I see you did a nice marble pencil around your wall mosaic. I would like to see that put together and a picture posted.

BTW, I love your floor and those frames.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Back at it after a weekend away :-)

I think I've decided against a fancy mirror, mainly because it complicates placement of the sconces and I feel that the sconces should be as far to the edge as possible. As much as I like the idea of a fancy mirror, I think it may just be too much going on. So, let's assume it will either be a plain or beveled mirror and the sconces will float in the mirror, I'm guessing maybe 1" from the right and left edges.

As far as the mosaic/height of the backsplash - the plan is for the pencil first, then 4, maybe 5, maybe 6" of the marble mosaic, then the chairrail, which is 2". I've yet to decide on the faucet spout resolution but I'm trying to obtain display versions of each so I can see how they look. I would like to gain back as much space as possible so I'm hoping the one below will look good with my handles. It's 6" high, which makes me think the BS should be 7" or 7-1/2".

enduring - I'm not sure if I clarified or not, but let me know. FYI the marble pencil around the wall panel in the shower is the same pencil I would use on the bottom of the BS to separate the busy granite from the marble mosaic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Faucet spout