Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lookintomyeyes83

Door or no door to shower?

lookintomyeyes83
9 years ago

This is our current proposed bathroom layout.
We are debating if we should have a door to the shower, or none - thoughts?

Other comments on the layout welcome

A few things to note:
- aiming for an accessible floor plan.
- Shower to be rollin, at-grade (no lip), hoping to fit two shower heads in there (one wall mount, one wall-mount with removable wand-head) for a 2-person shower. We are 'average' people, slightly overweight, but not obese.
- the door from the MBR to the MB will likely be open 90% of the time. It would likely only be closed after someone 'stinks it up', or if someone is using the bathroom at night/early morning and doesn't want to wake the other.
- a door to enter the shower/tub area would restrict water splashing, but would make it slightly more difficult to enter the space. Also not sure if there is enough space to properly trim a door.
- We aren't two-sink people, but would love a vanity with cabinets stacked on it to hold all of our bathroom 'stuff'.
- Im slightly concerned about the toilet location, as in a similar home its always a pain to squish by the person using the toilet, but we're at the point that we dont really want to enlarge the floor plan further. And as its normally just the two of us in the house, 'emergencies' could be solved by running to one of the other bathrooms.
- I rarely take baths, but REALLY enjoy them if i do - wondering if a 32x60 whirlpool tub exists, and if it would be comfortable enough in the space. (as thats whats currently drawn)
Comments welcome.

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

You'll need a door on that shower.

You have to design for a doorless shower. I saw one in a model home that was great the other day. His and hers vanities on one wall and a wall of glass with openings at each end was the shower on the opposite wall.

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

I' not sure I understand your drawing. Is the tub in the shower room - a wet room? Where did you plan on putting the shower heads?

If the door to the bedroom is going to be open 90% of time, did you consider a pocket door?

It's not a big space, so I would try to do a pony wall with glass on top between the toilet/sink and shower areas.

• lookintomyeyes83
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@numbersjunkie - the tub and shower are in a single combined 'wet room' - it seemed a reasonable way to get the 5ft turning radius required for accessible design.

I'm not a fan of pocket doors as I am a light sleeper (sound&light) and i find them difficult to open, and hate that they always slam closed. A fair bit of light escapes under them as well. As the door will only be closed when one of us is sleeping and don't want to wake the other, a hinged door seems a better choice.

I was debating showerhead placement - either both on the long 6ft section, or at each end of the shower space. Where would you recommend?

• emma
    9 years ago

It is enough work cleaning a small shower/tub I wouldn't anything bigger or a whole wet room to clean.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

If you rarely take baths, but want the option, why not use the bath in the other bathroom? I very rarely take baths. I got a brand new tub 5 months ago that I haven't used. But I wouldn't want to be without one. If you take the tub out of your MBR, you'd have a lot more options.

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

I'm not sure what you are asking but I would have a set of doors on the shower. I wouldn't want my tub area wet when showering. As for a door from the main part to the wet part, I might go without a door.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I'd consider getting rid of the small porch off the front bedroom and put a very nice tub there. Move the toilet and vanity to the other wall where the tub was.
    Then move the toilet in the master bathroom to where the tub was, facing the window. Put in a linen cabinet or closet where the toilet was.
    I think your windows in all rooms could be made larger. Also, try to place windows so that beds will not sit under a window.

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

Since you're looking for comments, here you go:

1) Windows. You need egress windows in bedrooms. Egress windows have certain requirements; the sill so many inches off of the floor, the open space of the window has to be a certain size. Make sure you have proper egress windows in your bedrooms. the master bedroom, for example. If the window is going to be behind the bed, the sill might be too high to qualify as an egress window.

2) Master Bathroom: I removed the built-in bench. Space is at a premium and built-in benches eat space. In place of the built-in bench, I drew in a small movable bench between the shower and the tub. It can be left where it is, or it can be pulled into the shower space. Moveable benches are much more versatile, especially in any sort of an accessible/ADA bathroom.

With the bench gone, I slid the wall that divides the bathroom and shower/tub room down. This gives you more space for toilet clearance. Regarding the toilet, it could be rotated and/or moved to the other side fo the door.

Making the bathroom larger gives you a longer vanity. If the area under the sink is going to be open for wheelchair accessibility, then having a longer vanity gives more room on either side of the sink for storage. Or you could keep the vanity small and instead add a small linen closet in the bathroom.

The shower versus the tub. Your wet room space is large enough where I see no issues with your shower and tub being co-located in the same wet room space. You're not going to get significant splash on your tub.

3) Your secondary bathroom on that floor. I swapped the locations of the toilet and the vanity. For water control it can be difficult having a vanity abut a tub/shower surround.

I got rid of the built-in bench that was in that secondary bathroom and used the found space to move the linen closet to where the bench was.

By moving the linen closet, I enlarged the two closets that serves your second and third bedrooms.

I also reversed the swing on that bathroom door. I really dislike having doors open up into narrow hallways or walkways.

That's all I have to say 'bout that. Hope it helps more than hurts!

• lookintomyeyes83
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Karenseb, the house is to have all floors built of ICF, so the porch cannot easily be changed to a bathroom area.

Re: bedrooms in windows - While I love having natural light during the day, and am using the space, I HATE the (yes even tiny amount of) light shining through when I'm trying to sleep.
    Ideally, I will create a boxed frame for the upper curtains, with THREE layers of room darkening shades, so that no light comes through these windows when I sleep. Our proposed house is designed so that the bedroom only has two uses, one of which is sleeping. ;)

The longterm goal for that right-hand wall of the MBR is to fill it with built-in closet space with mirror doors and nice trims. Again, this is a space for sleeping and dressing. Light destroys/fades clothes, and interrupts my sleep. Though the wall is long enough that I possible could do a window on that wall, and make a bench under it as a window seat.

Where do people normally place windows? As a girl I had one behind a desk, which was OK, but I wouldn't call it ideal. My current bedroom window is behind my bed, which could be drafty, but as I said, the blinds are always drawn.
    So in my head bedroom window == annoying thing code requires me to have.

mongoct -
    - I was debating the freestanding vs movable bench. Are movable benches really stable enough?
    Ideally, we'd like to use as little tile as possible in our bathroom, and ensure we have enough ledge space for toiletries, etc. We saw a corian-type wall paneling for showers in menards that looks wonderful that we hope to use. May need a tile floor though.

Im not sure about your proposed changes to the guest bath - id doesn't look like it would be accessible anymore. (it previously did have the 5ft turning radius and I believe the other required space). We are hoping to put in one of those accessible tub/showers in the guest bath, though that may be 'down the road' as the price of them are still quite high.

We are a couple who live alone, but will occasionally have guests staying over, which was our rationale for leaving the closets on the smaller side.

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

That's fine. I didn't understand that the guest bath was intended to be an accessible bath too. Your added text clarifies your original overall design a bit.

If you're willing to move the fixtures around in the master bathroom you might be able to gain a more open space.

• LogBuildDreams
    9 years ago

Naween...you're really big on accessibility and yet...you're house is pretty well designed as a death trap to the handicapped. I mean, most fires that would trap you start at night, when you're asleep in your bed. Which you're gonna have the closest exit under THREE layers of heavy drapes??? Or you can wheel out through your clothing in the closet to the balcony? Or a tiny bathroom window you won't fit thru (you said you're larger people). You best bet is that front porch, which is a really long way to go!

Maybe consider a big egress window in the master bath if you're adamant about the window over the bed? Rememeber, you'll need long drapes which means your bed can't be up against the wall, or else light will get under the drapes straight down into your eyes when you're lying there. And you're gonna be closing the bathroom door every night because the light from that window will come into the room.

Just think more about how your wheelchair self is getting out of here in a fire.

• lookintomyeyes83
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Logbuilddreams

- I need sleep, if I don't get it, Im cranky, or worse, I endanger people's lives by not being fully competent at my job. If there's light, I wake up. So yes, lightblocking is HUGE! Yes, Im 40lbs overweight, but I still fit through a 30" window just fine. (Hubby is a toothpick.)

- I don't understand why large drapes would prohibit my bed being close to the wall? Currently my bed is against my window-wall!

Ideally, Id do something like this
    http://blog.pizzazzhomedecor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Upholstered-Cornice.jpg

or a wide bed crown, with heavy drapes.
    http://blog.pizzazzhomedecor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Bedcrowns-1.jpg

When we are older, we will require less clothes and could easily remove any garment rods slowing entry to the back deck.

As for fires, the best thing we can do is prevention. Smokedetectors installed and tested regularly.
    We turn off all lights when not using them. A new home, with properly installed wiring, should not pose a fire risk. We do not smoke. We do not cook if we are tired and will forget a pot on the stove. My preference is for an electric furnace.

A house is 'completely gone' within 10 min of a fire starting, and smoke rises...If lightning strikes us...well then I guess God wants us dead.

• LE
    9 years ago

Regarding a bathtub of the size you mentioned (32 x 60). We recently had one installed of that size. It's much smaller than the one we had before, but it's so deep, it makes for a nice soak. You might want to try it on for size, though. I told my husband I won't be able to gain any weight and still fit in it! It's extremely comfortable, though, and although

I got the soaker version, there is a whirlpool option as well (Americh Madison, comes in a wide variety of sizes.) Actually, now that I'm at the site, I'm thinking we go the 60 x 30.

Here is a link that might be useful: example tub, whirlpool options

• lookintomyeyes83
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Lori_inthenw - I'll see if i can find someone that carries it.
    My current tub is a apartment-standard that is 32x60, but also very shallow. I'm less fond of 'laying' in a tub, and would prefer to recline, so the short tub might be the way to go, compared to a longer one?

I've got a 38" waist, but the rest of me is fairly small (go stress loving the midsection :P ), but I feel OK in my current tub.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

The best way to keep light from coming in the windows is by installing blinds on the outside, like the Germans do. Rouladen (or roller) blinds are wonderful.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional