Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coolbeansw

sunken tub crazy??

coolbeansw
14 years ago

In reviewing all the inspiration pictures I've collected from magazines in preparation for our master bath renovation, one element that keeps appearing is a sunken tub. More specifically, a large wetroom area of the bathroom that consists of an open tiled shower and an adjacent sunken tub. My designer says it's impractical; it's easier and safer to get in and out of a conventionally installed tub. And my contractor says it would be labor and cost intensive to make the necessary changes to the existing floor structure. So reason tells me to abandon this fantasy . . . Please weigh in! Thanks

Comments (7)

• youngdeb
    14 years ago

Short answer: Do what you like and can afford.

Longer answer: Sunken tubs are a lot of work and they are definitely more difficult to navigate...not something appropriate for older folks, I'd think. If you're interested in resale, I think it could be a problem. One other option: if you have room, elevate the floor in that section of the bathroom and create a little platform to create a sunken look without actually sinking it in the floor.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

We have a jetted, sunken tub that came with our 8-year-old house. I like the looks of it esthetically, but I'm a shower guy, so hardly ever use it. My wife uses it occasionally and says it's a little harder to get in and out of than a regular tub, but it's not an issue unless you had some kind of disability. Ours is on the main floor and sits in a hole that was made for it when the concrete was poured for the foundation, so support is not an issue for us. If this is going into a wood-floored space, you definitely would want to have beefy support, but it's no more weight than if it was a regular tub sitting directly on the floor...it just takes a little more framing work. Bottomline: If you like the look, go for it. Just don't expect it to be life-changing. Good luck, whatever you do.

• coolbeansw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, all. It was helpful to hear confirmation that it's a bit harder to get in and out of a sunken tub. I'm no spring chicken. We're trying to make our new design senior-friendly -- which is why we're installing an airjet tub with a heated back in the first place. I just got caught up in the fantasy and lost sight of this goal.

• katem69
    14 years ago

If you put your tub down into the floor, it's dangerous stepping in to them. It's also expensive to set it in to the floor. Why not place it on the floor and build steps around it with a nice surround? That always looks really pretty. We bought our bath tub and it was an overstock model but had a full warranty and we save over 50% off the price. We have a nice surround around our tub and we put shower doors on it so it can be a shower to. I have seen people raise their tubs up, so that they have steps around them and that looks really pretty. I personally didn't want steps, with kids getting in and out. The store we got our bath tub from is below, if you haven't bought one yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bath Tub Outlet Store

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

In some areas, both tubs with steps Up to them and sunken tubs without a handrail are against code.

In my locale getting a permit for a bath remodel is a grey area...most people don't do it. A friend of mine designed a bath with sunken tub for someone who insisted on it,-- he couldnt talk her out of it. She fell into it when she wasnt even taking a bath and ended up putting a railing around it like a swimming pool. (After she got home from the hospital). Not the look she was going for, originally.

• coolbeansw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, it's official, I'm nixing the sunken tub!