Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Americast...is it really that bad?

Posted by aaron2005 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 07 at 9:50

We have a 2nd floor spare bathroom complete redo going on right now. We removed our old Porcelain on Steel tub (30"x60"x14")..had some chips in it. And I didn't know any better about fixing the chips.

We looked at Kohler Villiger and Toto1525s, but those just weight too much, and me and the wife are doing most of the work (except the tiling).

We don't want acrylic because of potential to crack, and not being able to clean it using normal cleaners.

Which brings us to Americast. I know most of the folks on this forum don't like it but I was curious about if anyone has it, likes it, and if there really are "flex" problems.

Could anyone recommend other Porcelain on Steel tubs manufactures?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Aaron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Americast...is it really that bad?

I have sold the Americast many times, with no complaints of flex problems. I will be putting it in my house when I do a remodel in a few years. Porcelain on steel, however, is always a problem. Very lightweight, cold, loud when filling. I'm not aware of any manufacturer doing it any better.

o

suzi, have you heard of Bootzcast? Similar thing, by Bootz. I'm so concerned about getting Americast because of all the reported problems--if we *did* have a problem, we'd have only ourselves to blame and I hear that the co. is not exactly responsive.

I am pretty much completely in your shoes, aaron, too. I keep hoping that the delays in finishing the first floor and getting on to the second will allow time for The Answer to be developed.

o

One thing I did read, to help with the problem of flex, is to put the tub in a mortar, so that basically the entire "floor" of the tub actually rests in the mortar.

From what I read else where, even putting shims (like 2x4s) in the open-air/shallow part of the tub (away from the drain), doesn't really help and to use mortar instead.

o

fly,
I have heard of the Bootz product, but I don't have any experience with it. I would imagine that it is very similar to the Americast.
Incidentally, some of the criticisms I have read about the Americast seem to be off-base. A few of them seem to be describing a fiberglass-like material, which Americast is not.
My advice to anyone who can manage it, is to see the product for yourself and order it from a local supplier.

o

I have an Americast kitchen sink and it has a lot of chips in it. I have no idea where they came from either (ie I don't recall whacking something against the side of it hard enough that I'd notice at the time). I personally would not put another Americast product in my house because of this.

o

Ditto what kgwlisa said.

o

I've got an Americast tub in one of my kids baths. I installed it as part of a total redo over last winter. I too was somewhat hesitant, but got solid reviews from some people I trust and went with it. FYI it replaced a powder blue cast iron job.

Eight months later I have to say all is well. Quite honestly I figured I'd damage it somehow during all the tiling. Between dropping tile (pretty infrequent) to runaway thinset and grout (sorta unavoidable) I was sure I'd find either a chip or at the very least a scratch. I did have it covered with a moving blanket, but it was no match for the thinset and grout. I also spent quite a bit of time standing in it ( I go a solid 230lbs) while tiling. Again, not a scratch or ding.

Some observations...the instructions specifically forbid a mortar bed underneath. I did have some squeaking when I stood in it, but that was quickly resolved by adding a few more screws over the lip and into pre-layed blocking. Originally I thought I'd need only a few pan head screws, but found a couple more was better.

Overall, I'm very happy. The product is working fine...I saved a few sheckles, and most importantly, didn't have to hump a 300lb cast iron replacement up to the second floor

o

aaron
If the only reason for not using a cast iron is the install - why not see what the cost for 2 or 3 guys to bring it in and set it you & wife complete the rest?

Nothing holds up better than good old cast iron tub, and nothing retains heat better

good luck

o

6+ years and zero problems. Replaced an old beat up cast iron tub.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here