Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
questions about barrier free tile shower over concrete slab

Posted by suschmoo2 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 3, 09 at 9:47

my desire is to have an open , barrier free shower area. i will be removing the current cheap plastic shower stall, and hope to use the existing drain. our house is built on a concrete slab. can i use redguard or something similar directly over the concrete floor and tile directly over this or do i need a pan? i would use hardi backer for the walls. please advise the simplest way of doing this. thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: questions about barrier free tile shower over concrete slab

I see no one has answered you so I will give you a couple of places to go to look for examples close to what your wanting to do. I am doing a trench drain with no curb and plan on using kerdi the orange stuff as well as Noble the blue stuff. you can find info on this subject with installation instructions that you can adapt to your situation. www.quickdrainusa.com Also you might find some information on johnbridge.com web site. Just go into the tile advice forum and look around and do some searches. You can also find some info in respect to handicap showers as they are built similar. I don't feel qualified to give you any instruction cause were figuring out as we go and God willing it will be correct. Good luck and if you find any good info let us know in here.

o

suschmoo2 you can have it the way you want it. My guess is you will end up with a custom built shape floor, and so this is best membraned with a liquid, paint-on or trowel-on membrane like Redgard (or many others). You can build a small speed bump, as a sill, if it's a small shower. To make the shower floor slope, you can build up a slope on top of the slab, or cut a bit into the slab. Your drain can be a trench drain, either by cutting or by building up. All this assumes you own the slab (if it's not a condo) and you know enough to be sure the slab can be cut without risking other problems. It assumes also that you want to breathe concrete dust by cutting. The point is that you must plan for a slope, and it is either made by cutting down or by building up.

I found john bridge and the key people at his site to be dodgy about helping anyone study options that would result in a non-Schluter solution. Schluter makes Kerdi, Ditra and other good things. Also, at the time I was there, some key contributors didn't understand that there is no deflection in a slab (it's not made with joists) so this alone might raise eyebrows. Also, they couldn't handle the idea that a homeowner might want a flat sloped floor with a straight line drain at the end; instead the inverted cone floor with a centered drain was the only way to go... I could give you other examples of a lack of understanding in general, but I'll spare you the details. They are good but only so far and not more. The pro's in their pro forum do not help newbies with non-Schluter or non-Kerdi things.

o

suschmoo2 I believe that there are some regulations that state you have to have a 2" barrier in case of flooding. I recently visited some friends and they solved this problem by building a bump and slopes on either side of the bump. That way you could wheel a wheelchair over the bump if you would every need to. If you do a search on this site you should be able to come up with some threads on this subject.

o

thanks davidro1, you are very helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here