Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisalm_gw

Need 3 new toilets

lisalm
10 years ago

I need to replace 3 builder-grade Gerber toilets (8 years old) that keep stopping up and have at times overlowed.

My plumber is recommending that I just pick up simple, on-piece units from Home Depot. While anything would probably work better than what I have now, are there any standout stock models that I could pick up? I am also willing to order over the internet, but I need the toilets by 11/13--not much time.

I like the look for the Kohler Santa Rosa one-piece compact elongated model. I do not want anything ADA height.

TIA for your assistance.

This post was edited by lisalm on Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 10:21

Comments (10)

• williamsem
    10 years ago

When I was looking for a toilet, the most recommended brand was Toto. They are very reliable. Kohler got a mixed response, and I'm crossing my fingers that the other toilet I bought (before I realized I should do some research) holds up because Kohler has a reputation for changing parts and part numbers making it hard to locate correct repair parts in some cases. Wish I knew that!

The Toto Drake or Eco Drake are very popular, to the extent where you may find them stocked at a local plumbing supply place. You can also find many Toto toilets well below the list price if you shop around. If you are buying 3, I'd go local and see if they will give you their contractor pricing.

Here are the non-ADA Toto models, I assume you are looking for elongated seat. You can further narrow by your other wants, and remember you can do much better than the prices listed.

I love the Vespin we ended up purchasing. No problems at all, and we got the Sanagloss so it has been easy to clean too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Non ADA Totos

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Toto, no question!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Very happy with our Toto Soiree's (we have 3).

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

We got American standard champions from home depot and are very happy with them.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

We are planning on getting the Toto Vespin for our MB.

Though have to say we needed to replace a broken toilet seat (for a 30 year old toilet) in another BR, so we did buy a HD on sale American Standard dual flush, with our municipality's rebate and HD's sale, it was very very reasonable, (like under $100 I think) including seat. I couldn't find it online at my HD, but I found it on Amazon, I'm pretty sure the sale included the seat when we bought it...was one of those super deals at the front of the store... Have had it a couple of years, is our main toilet, and no problems so far...though I do notice streaking/staining...so am contemplating the sani-gloss finish for our next toilet.

Here is a link that might be useful: AS dual flush

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

the Toto's won't be available at your local HD so unless you have local distributor or can order on line and have them shipped, you should check out Terry Love's web site on toilets, he covers some of the more standard brands you can buy at HD or Lowe's. I've had two Kohler toilets that are over 20 years old, they work OK but not easy to clean. Their biggest problem is the hardware chosen by the contractor or developer, guests always are confused as to which way the lever turns. One of them is also frequently left "running" although we have changed out the mechanism in the tank and the rubber seals many times. We have bought Totos for our remodel so I'm hopeful those will be a much better choice, and will swap out the last Kohler at a future date.

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    10 years ago

We had a Toto Drake installed last year based on the plumbers recommendation, and its been completely trouble-free. It always flushes effectively with one flush, and we have had no issues at all with its operation. It has really sold me on this brand.

Bruce

• lisalm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your recommendations. I do have a Toto Ultramax in our basement bathroom. It works well, but that bathroom gets so much less use than the others, so its' hard to tell. I thought Totos had fallen out of favor--maybe I'm wrong?

Problem also is that I checked my rough ins and they are 14, a little over 14, and 16? Seems strange, no? It's an 8-year-old house! Totos all seem to need 12" rough ins.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Wow, sounds like someone goofed in the framing or plumbing, I was under the impression that 12 in was standard. Odd.

With your specific requirements you might want to post over at the Terry Love forum. If it exists, someone over there knows about it!

Here's a thread from a few years ago on 14 in rough ins.

Here is a link that might be useful: TL 14 in thread

• williamsem
    10 years ago

More recent. This is linked to in a thread from October, lots of good info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Still active thread