Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisadlu

Need your opinion on bathtub length

lisadlu
10 years ago

I have 92.5" of wall space to work with and am struggling with what bathtub length to go with. We need to build a ponywall to accommodate the tub so here are the two scenarios: (A) Use a standard 60" tub, build a 4.5" wide ponywall, and have a 28" space for the toilet. Or, (B) Use a 54" tub, build a 4.5" wide ponywall, and have a 34" space for the toilet.There is currently a 58" tub in there that is double skirted/aproned and doesn't require a ponywall. If I go back with the 54" tub then my footprint basically remains the same but will it look like a tinkertoy tub even with the ponywall to lengthen it out? With the 60" tub I encroach on the toilet (I think code says you need 30" for the toilet). I am basically set to pull the trigger on the 54" x 30" x 15" tub but am still hesitant it might look ridiculously small. Opinions? By the way, our first thought was to convert to a shower but everyone says you need a tub in the house for resale (this is the only tub in the house but we have never used a tub for the last 20 years).

Comments (9)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

The ponywall doesn't need to be 4.5", you could probably build something narrower to gain the extra inches to keep the toilet clearance at 30".

The only 54" tub I am aware of is the Kohler Seaforth. (Actually Bootz makes one but it is very thin enameled steel, I think.) I would really *try to get the standard length tub in.

I am probably not going to end up having one in my house because I will be replacing the standard tub with a largeshower and the smaller stall shower with the 54" Seaforth and I have the 4-foot version of the Bootz going into the basement as a 4 x 28 shower. But this will be a three bathroom house in a neighborhood that is typically 1.5, and where many of the houses have only a shower, no tub so I am okay with this decision.

However, if the standard in your neighborhood is at least one full-sized tub I would try to stay with it. Many areas will grandfather a skimpy toilet space if you are remodeling within the same bathroom footprint. They will here, anyway.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Can you get a free standing tub and get it a standard type size and still have the room for a toilet? I don't know if 28" is code for the toilet area. I thought it had to be 36" wall to wall for the toilet. Or maybe its 30" wall to wall. I just looked it up, it is 15" centerline to the wall either side. Though 18" centerline to obstruction is recommended.

Can you put a pedestal tub of regular lenght (what ever that is) kitty corner in the room and thus create more space for the toilet?

These are rather high fashion and I don't know what your budget is or your needs. But thought I'd mention this strategy.

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Glen Ellyn Kitchen & Bath Remodelers The Kitchen Studio of Glen Ellyn

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Dallas Media & Bloggers Sarah Greenman

[Farmhouse Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/farmhouse-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2114) by San Francisco Architects & Designers Madson Design

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I love these freestanding tubs but don't have the room. After much angst I am going with the 54" tub (by Delta). This is a guest bathroom and won't get used much. We are doing the tub surround in plain white tile run all the way to the ceiling. We are going to keep the new ponywall low (maybe just 4" above tub) and about about 5" wide, so I will have the same footprint as the tub that is existing (which does not feel undersized). The room is painted white so everything will be all one color except for pops of color with towels & accessories. I'm hoping tiling this way will make the area feel larger. Remodeling should be FUN, not anxiety producing! I appreciate all the opinions, it really helps to bounce ideas around. :)

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

Just a thought. Check out the Kohler Greek tub. It is only 48 inches long but extremely deep--almost 24". It is like a Japanese soaking tub and it is so cool that you might actually find yourself using it. The tub really makes a statement and you can use it as a shower if you add a flange, especially if it is not used frequently. I posted photos of my bathrooms in a thread called "pics of my new bathrooms". You should be able to google it. Can't link it right now.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Here's nycbd's tub.

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I love the Greek bathtub idea and THANK YOU May_Flowers for posting your photo. It has really helped me to see that small tubs do not have to look like tinker toy tubs. That's why I love this forum!! :)

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

Thanks May_Flowers.

Lisa--if you are seriously considering this tub, note a few things.

1. There is a grab bar on the left wall. It is a must. I also think the step really helps from an aesthetic point of view because this tub is really deep. The step helps cut the visual height.

2. This tub is used as a shower for my daughters when they are home and by guests. I would not want to be stepping into this tub every day. One mistake I made was using a long tub spout. People have banged their ankles on it stepping in or out and that hurts.

3. This is a drop in tub installed in an alcove. There are those who will say that this is not a waterproof installation. We did add a tile-in flange so that the water flows back into the tub (we hope!) Has not been an issue for the 2.5 years it has been installed, including multiple daily uses for the first year when we still had two girls at home and during summers when all three were home.

4. We don't have a door or a curtain. We have a 7" rainhead. The water comes straight down. Even with this short tub, there is no overspray. The depth of the tub probably also helps in that regard.

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NYCBlueDevil - Is the rainhead coming out of the ceiling or from an arm on the wall? I do not want to put a door or curtain either and think if I could do a rainhead that comes straight out of the wall then down that might work. Great ideas! Thanks!

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

Our rainhead is installed in the ceiling because I prefer that look. But I don't see why you couldn't put it on an arm coming out from the wall. You should ensure that the arm is long enough to let you stand in the middle of the tub when showering. Unlike in a stall shower, there is really very little margin for error in a tub. I think you would need a 15" arm. Our stuff is Hansgrohe. I seem to remember that the arms came in 9" and 15".

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living