Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbrandywinevalley

Which bathroom exhaust fan?

msbrandywinevalley
11 years ago

I'm looking for a bathroom exhaust fan with a light. I was going to get the Panasonic Whisper-Lite 80 CFM Ceiling Mounted Fan/Light Combination until I read the reviews. The light is fluorescent, which I don't like or want for the bathroom. Is there a good quality, well-priced fan that uses an incandescent bulb? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

I love Fantech - I have both standalone fans, fan/light combos (with hallogen bulbs - gorgeous light in a shower!) and light only. Love them all.

In one bathroom I put a hallogen light with a Panasonic fan just outside the shower. They switch on at the same time (teen's bath!). The fantech fans I have hooked up with a remote motor in the attic. 2 baths share a remote motor.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i have a couple of braun-nutone recessed light fans in our mbr-- inexpensive, quiet, effective and don't look like fans!!

• alan_s_thefirst
    11 years ago

The other thing that's good about Broan/Nutone is the motor bases are replaceable.

• msbrandywinevalley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A halogen light would be ideal. Do you happen to know the model numbers of the Fantech products you used? And am I correct in understanding that these are IN the shower?

Also, which Panasonic has a halogen light? Thanks!

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I have a fantech IN the shower with halogen bulb and a second one over the jetted tub (both run on the same motor in the attic). It is so quiet you would never even know it is on and there is never one speck of steam or fogging in my bathroom. It's on a timer, so I let it run for a while. It is so wonderfully powerful - probably the best thing I did in my bath remodel.

this is the model I have - it's available with just one unit, too:
    PB270H-2 Premium Bath Fan Dual Grilles with Dimmable Halogen Lights
    270 CFM fan, two Ceiling Grilles with Lights, two grille housings with dampers, two 50-watt Halogen bulbs and Y-adapter (4x4x6). Uses 4â³ and 6â³ duct.
    UL Listed for wet locations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fantech single grill

This post was edited by olychick on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 4:08

• Amy Sumner
    11 years ago

We installed the dual grille Fantech 270 CFM system in a vaulted ceiling bathroom which had terrible mildew prior to remodeling. LOVE the Fantech system. Whisper quiet. Which is why I wish we had heard about installing a timer switch instead of a simple on/off when we did the reno. It is so quiet that it often is left on when we would leave the room. We have since sold that house and are planning on remodeling 3 bathrooms in our new house. Fantechs with timer switches all the way. Hope you found a system you liked. By the way, our dual grille system was only $175 (no lights). To think $175 might have prevented all that mildew and the subsequent remodel... Worth every penny for us.

• lee676
    11 years ago

Both the Broan QTR080L and Nutone QTRN080L 80 CFM fans use a good ol' fashioned standard 100w incandescent light bulb (which ironically I will fit with an LED retrofit; I just want the large number of light-bulb options you get with a standard Edison socket, and their lower prices and wider availability). You can use a 72w halogen or at least up to a 23w CFL too. It also has a separate night light. The fan is 80 CFM and only 1.0 sones so it should be quiet. The two companies merged years ago, and the only difference between the two brands seems to be slightly different styling. About $145 online.