Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Tile sz relative to shower size???

loves2read
9 years ago

We are still in planning stage for master bath redo in Fl vacation house.
The original corner shower and soaker tub are being taken out and walk-in shower across one wall will go in w/new taller toilet and some cabinetry to replace the outgoing shower.
The space for new shower is about 4 x 6 but can be say 40" vs 48" depth.

We want to use subway tiles mainly--going for a more traditional look vs contemporary--but aren't sure how large a format tile we can use when the ceiling is 8ft--want to tile the ceiling over the shower (not in same size). Subway is normally 3x6 but we are thinking larger tiles/fewer grout lines makes easier maintenance.

Have toilet next to shower and will have a knee wall for shower beside the toilet w/glass almost to ceiling and then a pivot glass door for access--
the size (width/height) of the knee wall hasn't been decided yet...

Questions:
1) how large a tile can we use for the main shower walls and stay in proportion to the overall size? When does tile get too large for good design?

2) Want to use a vertical element (maybe in mosaic tile) but the shower head will be on side wall--not rear focal wall--so using a waterfall effect on it behind shower fixtures won't get same visual impact
Would a larger rectangular tile laid vertically be too "big" for 4x6 shower with 8 ft ceiling?

3) Is that vertical tile design too contemporary/modern if we are using other elements that are more traditional--like the cabinetry style, undermount sinks, fixtures??

4) I find myself drawn to darker grout/lighter tile in many photos on Houzz--
but that seems like such a busy design vs grout and tile that are similar value. Plus darker grout becomes a fixed design element in itself...
I don't want this bath to look "cluttered" or busy when all is said and done.

It is narrow w/only one window on wall opposite new shower.
will have cabinetry on window wall and around corner to toilet --
which will balance the shower on the opposite wall...cabinetry will be white...

Comments (2)