Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phiwwy

Bathroom finish question - polished nickel or ORB?

phiwwy
11 years ago

Now that sounds like a very strange question - but here it comes:

In my master bath I am using polished nickel faucets and shower fixtures, towel bars, sconces, etc.

Throughout our home, however, we have (or will have) oil-rubbed bronze door hinges and knobs/levers. I have tentatively planned to put the same door hinges and levers on the master bathroom door as well.

My question is - INSIDE the bathroom there is a washer/dryer closet which will have double doors and dummy knobs/levers. What finish should I put on these doors? ORB to match the house, or polished nickel to match the bathroom?

I may consider buying a single lever in polished nickel, if I can, to use on the inside of the bathroom door - so feel free to opine on that as well - but I need to order these double doors and want to figure out the finish question.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• catbuilder
    11 years ago

If the levers on the closet are the same kind as the doors on the rest of the house, I would do them in ORB. I would also leave the inside of the bathroom door ORB to match the rest of the house. Changing one side of the bathroom door won't help, since the bedroom side of the door will also be in the bathroom when it's open. If you want the closet to match the bathroom, you could use the same style pull as you are using on the vanity,so it's a cabinet knob/lever rather than a regular door lever.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oooh good idea. My vanity knobs will be too small for the double doors but they are a style that I could probably find something larger in polished nickel! Assume the hinges should be polished nickel as well? (I need to order the unit, it comes with hinges so I want to specify the correct finish when I order). thanks!

One thing - the door opens into the bathroom and there is a changing area/ hallway type space that is between the master bedroom and the bathroom. the bedroom door to that area does have ORB levers like the rest of the house.

• enduring
    11 years ago

My first thought is to keep it polished nickel.

I have a BR off of my kitchen and on the kitchen side I have a black finish lever and on the bath side I have a silver patina finish lever. I just bought new hinges for the door and they are polished stainless to match my polished chrome and polished stainless (grab bars) bath fixtures. My levers are Emtek and sets can be bought with 2 different handles. If I had to do it again, and I knew where all of my finishes would end up, I would have got a shinny polished silver lever for the bath. But I bought the lever prior to the remodel. I still love the patina lever finish though.

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

We have ORB levers/hinges throughout our new home on white doors, also primarily white cabinets with ORB. However, in the master bath we used dark cabinets with brushed nickel. I never even thought about the idea of switching the hardware on the doors in the MBa to brushed nickel. I wanted the continuity of having all the doors alike, plus the ORB does match the dark cabinets in the MBa. I think the lack of continuity with the door levers would have bugged me. It's not something that sticks out like a sore thumb to have it the same ORB--in fact, I think it looks good. The MBa door is often open into the MBR, which has ORB on that door. We have a walk-in closet (with door) off the MBa as well as the door into the toilet stall--all ORB levers. Of course you should do what you like, but IMHO, stick with ORB.

• cathie2029
    11 years ago

I agree with sajafr. All the doors (levers/hinges) should match. The rest can be in polished nickel. I've seen this done in a lot of the pictures on Houzz. It doesn't have to be so matchy matchy - a mix does look good.