Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
camg_gw

Master bath/closet layout?

CamG
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

We're getting close to finalizing our plans for a new house. The part of my house I'm least comfortable with is the master bath and closet. Both seem really large, and the toilet seems a bit awkward.

I'm open to rearranging this, but I'm not sure how. I understand the toilet can't move too far, as it's right above a wall below it.

Assuming we generally stay with this size, I'm not sure how to arrange the vanity. One option would be to have sinks on either side and a little makeup counter in the center. Or, we could have tall cabinets on each side, a smaller run of sinks in the middle, and a makeup table in the walk in closet. I'm a little uncomfortable with the latter, as I'm not thrilled with the idea of hairspray and makeup powder in the same room as the clothes. On the other hand, if we put the makeup counter in the middle of the run of sinks, then there won't be great storage for them, and all of the bottles and such will be sitting out and around all of the time (or will all have to be taken out of the base cabinet and put back each day).

I've rearranged it a bit myself and drawn in in gray what the current plan roughly is. (We will probably need to increase the length of the WC and push the toilet wall a bit further into the master, but that's fine relative to the wall below.) Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (17)

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

I think 9' is a great amount of space to work with, but may be shy for a make up counter as well.

Love the idea of two talls or towers on the ends with the sinks a bit closer together. You can get small-ish sinks (unless you need large ones for some reason) and maximize your storage in the towers.

You could bump out the line of the center section to add interest.

This long run will make it challenging to find a counter top - it may limit you a bit if you want no seams. Consider also if this is a 2nd floor master, how they would get a 9'+ piece of stone in....

• MGDawg
    11 years ago

I'm not sure if it's simply an omission in your sketch, but you'd definitely want a door seperating your closet and bathroom. Without one, alot of the moisture from the shower will get into your clothes.

• CamG
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the fast responses! I was playing around with teh figures, and 9'3" would give me 2x 21" sink bases, 2x 18" drawer bases, and a 30" space for makeup.
    That's a very good point about fitting a 9' counter in--not to mention the cost, which when I checked it out, is pretty nuts. We will go with corian, I'm sure, so that's a bit cheaper, but still. We could do two heights--the sinks at 35" and a makeup at something shorter. I think that might look a little funny, though, because the sinks won't be centered over their respective vanities with the drawer base next to them.

If we did towers, that might be the best, such as below. But boy is that a lot of storage--I suppose too much storage is never bad, but its hard to imagine us using all of that, plus the drawers, plus under the cabinets...

MGDawg, that was intentional. My builder said no one in our area puts a door there anymore. Is moisture really that bad for the clothes?

Another thing I was wondering about is if I could do away with the pocket door into the toilet closet. We hadn't planned on having a separate toilet room, but we really need at least a wall there because otherwise the person on it will be visible in the mirror. I question whether we will ever take the time to close that door, and it would be nice to save that expense. Maybe a normal door would make more sense, especially since it would swing out into a 6' wide bathroom...

• CamG
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What about this? The shower will be prefab, 48"x36". It leaves the main area still 5'8" wide, but removes the need for pocket doors, makes a fairly tight toilet room more spacious while still maintaining some privacy...

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Cam, imo, you need the larger toilet area--4'4" just isn't much depth to fit a toilet and make sure you have the necessary code minimum of 24" infront of the bowl. This second option gives you more space in front of the bowl. You will like it better (I think).

• CamG
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kirkhall, thanks for the thought. That was one of the reasons behind the second option. The longer I make the toilet area, the more it pushes into the bedroom, and the more difficult that corner from the hallway gets. When having a separated toilet area anyway was not a high priority for us, that seemed to make sense. I think it pretty much steals the layout of the photo from houzz.com I posted above.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

It maybe wasn't a priority for you, but I think you will like it. :)

• CamG
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, reworked things slightly. Thinking about it, we've got the space, so we might as well have a separate toilet room.

I think I've put in pretty much all the details. There will be two tall cabinets on each side of the vanity.

Does this look good? Any other thoughts? Thanks!

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

That does look good. I am glad you crammed some towel hooks in there--you are at least thinking about them. Now, what kind of door will you have for your shower? I wouldn't want it to interfere with your 1 place for towel hooks (all your other walls are pocket).

Your other option would be to make your toilet room pocket wall extra thick so that you can have towel hooks/etc on that wall. You might want to do that anyway, as you appear to have plenty of width for your toilet room.

• CamG
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks kirkhall. I'm thinking a normal glass bypass door to save money. The newer ones look pretty nice and are tons cheaper than a swinging door, as far as I can tell. I imagine the opening will be at the top by the towel hooks. We don't have much room for hooks, but some of the bypass doors have bars you cold put additional towels, but I don't know why we would absolutely need more than two hooks in the master. But good idea, we could always out a couple more on the toilet pocket door wall. I'll have to measure our current hooks and see how much space we need.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

I like the symetry of the one where the shower and toilet face each other. You can always put a sliding door to that whole area, enclosing both the shower and toilet. That offers the benefit of great ventilation from a fan placed between the two, a nice wall space for hooks or towel warmer, and a clean look to the room.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Just remember, if you put anything on the pocket wall, the wall needs to be deep enough so when you put a screw in it, it won't reach through and scratch (or attach) to your pocket door... That is why I suggested building out that wall a smidge (maybe a 2x6 pocket wall).

• lyvia
    11 years ago

I always wondered why more people don't use a curtain to separate the toilet area. So flexible - and to me, easier to open and close than a pocket door. It's sort of in between a pocket door and an opening. I's a different idea, but you might like it.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I like the symetry of the one where the shower and toilet face each other. You can always put a sliding door to that whole area, enclosing both the shower and toilet. That offers the benefit of great ventilation from a fan placed between the two, a nice wall space for hooks or towel warmer, and a clean look to the room.

I agree. If you are able to close off the toilet/shower area you will keep the steam inside that area and keep the mirrors from getting foggy. You have plenty of room for towel bars/hooks on the wall right outisde the shower. And if you have small kids that may need one parent while the other is showering, say mom is drying her hair, they can be in the bathroom area while Dad maintains privacy in the shower/toilet area. When that area is not being used the pocket door can be left open. If you have room a transom window above the pocket door would in more light.

• CamG
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well darn it, I thought I had this decided.

I agree that I think the shower/toilet area works better aesthetically. I guess the only issue is that someone does not have as much privacy while using the toilet if the other wishes to take a shower. I guess that probably does not happen all that often.

That's an interesting idea about with young kids, which we definitely will have. The divided idea makes it so the private things can really take place behind closed doors. Another upside, here in cold winters, that little area would be much easier to keep warm than the whole bathroom. We've got some thinking to do!

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

It's not terribly different from what you have, but I swapped the toilet and shower locations and rotated the toilet.

The toilet and shower locations didn't have to be swapped, but this puts the toilet deeper into the bathroom. I see your current toilet wall is a wet wall, so I'm not sure if moving it messes up your plumbing stacks or not.

By rotating the toilet, you get rid of the 60" requirement for water closet depth if you were heading in that direction. If not, it at least eliminates the knee room restrictions for non-closet toilet installations. Now the toilet space only needs to be 30" wide to meet code, but certainly if you can spare six more inches, a 36" wide space would afford more elbow room.

Though you changed the closet door to a pocket door, opening the hinged closet door does offer a bit of fake water closet privacy.

Rotating the toilet and making the toilet space 36" wide gives you 12 more inches in the shower. A 60" shower instead of a 48" shower.

"T" is for towel/robe hooks.
    "V" is the shower valve so you can turn on the shower without stepping in to the shower.
    "S" is the shower head.

If the toilet did need to stay within the original space, just flip-flop the shower and toilet locations.

• hilltop_gw
    11 years ago

Although the symmetry of the toilet and shower facing each other looks nice on paper, in reality I don't think you'll like it. Somehow the idea of getting out of a nice clean shower and walking directly into a toilet doesn't seem appealing. Plus, there's not a lot of room directly in front of the shower door in that arrangement.

I like CamG's latest plan or mongocts plan.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths