Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayflower1032

vanity drawer protection idea?

mayflower1032
9 years ago

Was considering those vinyl sheets you need to cut to size to protect the bottom of the vanity drawers/cabinets from toothpaste, brushes, hair dryer, etc.

How would plexiglass work? Thinking if I cut panels to fit, it would allow seeing the wood bottom as well as some pretty heavy duty protection. I guess over time it will scratch?

Comments (11)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I would think plexi-glass would scratch. I think you also don't want anything that could allow anything wet or damp to get between it and the wood under it.

Why not just do a few coats of polyurethane?

• emma
    9 years ago

I just use trays. Anything liquid can get around most thing laid in the drawer and ointments can get the sides greasy. The trays are easier to clean by taking them out and putting them in a sink.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I also use trays, but the other thing that could work - I use it on the wood shelves in my linen closet - is clear Contac paper. Supposedly it's removable.

• enduring
    9 years ago

I use something like the product that Babka posted. I got mine at Lowe's I believe. I also use plastic trays for the most part in the drawers. The liner goes on shelves or where ever I need it.

I have a sheet of the liner that I set my scale on, and the whole works fits under my very deep toe kick that accommodates my scale. There is a 1" margin that I use to pull the works out, then use it to push it back under. It is rigid enough to do that which I like. It is also flexible.

• mayflower1032
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the ideas...

• nicole__
    9 years ago

I also used the clear ribbed shelf liner. Any moisture will collect in the ribs, it protects the insides of the cabinets, no sticky adhesive....what more to want for...eh...

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Another vote for trays. They're widely available in a range of sizes, and they hold your cosmetics "upright" instead of letting them knock about the drawer.

• emma
    9 years ago

I don't like any liner except paper because you can't slide anything when you put it in. It has to be picked up and set down. It's not so bad in bathrooms, but it's the pits in the kitchen shelves and drawers.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I use the ribbed liner with assorted trays in my cosmetic drawers on top of that. Guess it is probably redundant, but that beautiful furniture grade plywood is worth protecting. I just lined all the drawers then went' from there depending on the usage. My husband's ONE drawer required Cushy cushion shelf liner to keep his razor, shave cream can, etc from sliding around when he pushed the drawer in. (He strongly didn't want little trays). I used shoe boxes in some of my deeper cabinets to separate travel stuff form chargers. So many options, pick what works for what you want in the drawer.

-Babka

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

EmmaR- I slide everything around on my ribbed stuff on my kitchen shelves....oils, spices, cans, dishes, glasses, pots and pans, etc. The Cushy cushion stuff doesn't allow you to slide things but the ribbed stuff does, Ribs up.

-Babka

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations