Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiling floor and wall

Posted by uv_dragon (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 8:36

We are tiling both the floor and the wall behind the toilet. One friend had said that it was important to have the floor laid before tiling the wall. Is it really that important or not?

I'm asking because we already tiled the wall, but we haven't tiled the floor yet. Do I need to tear off the bottom row of tiles, lay the floor and then cut that bottom row to fit back on?

Thanks

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiling floor and wall

Where I have seen tiled walls and floors, there is a base board installed. Either wood or tile. The wall and floor just don't butt to each other. It would look unfinished to me.

-Babka

o

Well, I would have to say I only see a base board installed 50% of the time where the tile wall hits the tile floor. Check out pictures yourself on Houzz. That being said you generally do want the floor to go down first so the wall tile sits on top of the floor tile. Remember you don't want to grout that seem but rather use a matching caulk. I bet if the tile is properly laid and with a nice clean caulk line you will probably never see any differerence.

o

Thanks all.

o

JMHO, but I think it might matter more inside the shower (or a wet area) where you would definitely want the floor tile to go down first. That way, water that flows down the wall, will flow on top of the floor tile, not into the caulk line where the water might pool and soak in. Hope this makes sense. Just seems like in wet areas, the water would be shed better by the walls being on top the floor. Like theanimala, I agree that otherwise, you probably won't notice a difference.

o

This has actually been an age-old debate. :) Those who opt to do the wall first argue that doing the floor last keeps you from having to worry about debris falling onto those fresh tiles while you work on the wall. Additionally, it lets you walk on bare concrete while working the wall, instead of having to step on newly-installed floor tiles too soon and worry about loosening them.

For wall-first practitioners, they start on the second layer of wall tile, to allow for any height adjustments that might occur when the floor is tiled.

Hope this helps. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Debate at ContractorTalk

o

It also depends on if you are using cove base tile, which traditionally sits flush with the floor tile at the interface of the coved floor portion of the base tile, not on top of the tile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here