Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie1031_gw

Tile for shower floor

debbie1031
9 years ago

Hi-
We have an upcoming small remodel for our master bath that will include re-tiling the floor and walls of our shower. For those who are tile experts, is there a better size tile from a stability standpoint for the floor of a shower stall? I would think with the sloping that large tile would be a poor choice, but I would also worry about the maintenance around lots of grout lines with very small tile.
Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thank you!

Comments (13)

• jojoacq
    9 years ago

You might want to look into a custom shower base that is made from engineered composites. They are stain resistance, mildew resistance and clean up like brand new with a little shampoo and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. We've had ours for a year and I love it! Would never go back to tiles again! I will attach a picture to show you our shower floor.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I've read that you should use smaller tiles in a shower for traction, but we used 12 x 12 tiles in our previous house without any problems (slipping or drainage).

• debbie1031
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the replies. This is helpful and I appreciate the feedback.
    jojoacq- Is there a brand name for the material you used?

• cobbyw
    9 years ago

When we built our house, I decided to ask each specialty guy to tell me how they think things should be designed. Tile guys did put small tiles on both shower Flores so I'm guessing they had a good reason. No issues so far after 5.5 years.

• emma
    9 years ago

We had tile in the bathroom and entry way in the last home, never again. To much work to maintain it. A simple mopping does not do the trick. I like inserts.

• aiallega
    9 years ago

My tile guy required tiles 4X4 or smaller in order to get a proper slope for the shower floor.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I have 1x1 mosaic tiles on the floor of the shower, which give a good foothold. The tile setter used epoxy grout. It appears to be bomb proof as far as staining or mold. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. No sealing necessary, either.

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

2" is most common, 4" will conform to most bowls. Get into 6" and they can be transitional, with 8" or larger you can get lippage issues on a standard-sized shower.

I used 4" in my shower.

You can also go with a non-portland cement based grout. An epoxy derivative, for example. They are non-porous, and that will mitigate most moisture-related problems.

• debbie1031
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, everyone! This should guide me well! I'm always amazed how helpful everyone is! :)

• azmom
    9 years ago

The contractor who did our bathrooms is a perfectionist, very meticulous and fussy; good thing our contractor/client relationship was not the other way around.

He insisted to use small tiles in the shower floor. To him 4 x 4 would not conform to the floor to create perfect slop.

We used 12 x 24 tiles for the bathrooms, both styles also came with 2 x 2 size tiles. But our contractor said the shade of 2 x 2 tiles did not match 12 x 24 ones.

He also disliked 2 x 2, said it would have too many grout lines to clean. Finally he sent out 12 x 24s to his buddy's shop to cut into 3 x 3. The fee of cutting these tiles was very reasonable, in fact, we would have paid it even if it was high, just to keep him happy!

The shower floors turned out so pretty and perfect, our contractor was very happy. We were beyond satisfied and appreciative for having such a great contractor.

This post was edited by azmom on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 4:35

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

Cutting big tiles into littler tiles for a shower floor?
    Why, give me a pot of good dark roast coffee and some ear protection and there's nothing I can't accomplish! ; )

• azmom
    9 years ago

Good job mongoct! Are you the buddy whom my contractor sent the tiles to? ;-)

• debbie1031
    Original Author
    9 years ago

azmom- Lucky you to have a meticulous contractor! I did a kitchen with someone who was the polar opposite.
    Me: Why do the counters stop 1/2" short of the raised panel lower cabinets?
    Him: There's no other way.....
    Me: Guess again- do it over.
    End result was beautiful, but seriously, buddy? Screw up and try to convince the homeowner that it's normal...
    Do you have pictures to share? I want to see this tile!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations