Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

what size vanity for powder room

abekker
9 years ago

the powder room is roughly 5.5' x 5.5. What size vanity would you recommend? thanks

Comments (12)

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I think I'd go with a pedestal sink.

While I don't like them in a full bath, where you need storage . . . they're just right for a half bath. A pedestal sink will make the small room seem larger and more open.

• fnmroberts
    9 years ago

Our Powder is approximately 4 x 6 though irregularly shaped. We actually removed a pedestal sink in favor of a small open cabinet offering storage. The one we selected is 26' wide with a drawer and shelf. Just enough storage for necessary items.

Photos linked. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Powder Room

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

I have a pedestal sink in my powder room and am replacing it with a vanity for storage. Even just a place for extra toilet paper would be great. But it also had no deck space even for a bottle of hand soap.

My toilet/sink wall is 5-2, and we debated whether to use a 24 or 30 inch vanity. We decided the 24 would be better since I did not want the vanity right up against the wall. We also decided on an 18" deep vanity to keep it as small as possible, so not to overwhelm the space. And we opted to replace our toilet with a wall mounted toilet to make it seem more roomy. It will only project 21" from the wall.

Your room is a little bigger, If you center the toilet on 34" of wall space (30" is minimum code, 36" is ideal), you will have 31" for a vanity, so you could easily do a 30" vanity. And there are some that come in sizes like 26 or 28.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I will keep in mind the min. Of 32 for the toilet. Probably the smaller the vanity the room will feel bigger.

• mom2sulu
    9 years ago

We are facing the same dilemma. I am leaning towards a pedestal because the vanities just seem so tiny to me.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am leaning towards vanities for now, although a pedestal would make life easier. There are a number of vanities that would fit and i think a wall hung will look better than a full length one. I just have to find the one I like :)

• mom2sulu
    9 years ago

I agree with you about going with a wall hung to make the space feel bigger. Our problem is that most of the wall hung are modern and we are traditional. I did find a couple of vanities that I loved but had a difficult time paying 2k for a 28" vanity. In the end, we decided to go with pedestal and we will spend the extra money on crown and wall moldings to jazz the room up. Good luck with your search.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Do not put your toilet closer than 17 inches from the wall. I did and it felt way too close. You can probably do 16 inches next to a vanity because they are only 24 inches deep. Just an inch can make a big difference.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i think the toilet is centered 36 incles. I am thinking to center a 24 wall hung on the rest of the wall, which means 32 inches left. If i center the 24 I will have 4 inches on each side. Will that work or should i go with a smaller vanity?

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Sorry, I meant to say 17 inches from the center of the toilet to the wall. A toilet centered on 36 inches is great!

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am now actually considering a pedestal sink.

• mom2sulu
    9 years ago

Houzz has lots of beautiful powder rooms with pedestal sinks. :) I already purchased mine. Good luck!