Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Matching tile and fixtures

Posted by embeth (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 8:17

I am having a mini-panic over what to do with matching tile and fixtures.

We are in the middle of having a bathroom in our house remodeled. (The house is a Victorian. The bathroom is a tiny room on the main floor that was added in the 1920's, and we are remodeling to add a shower to the tub, add tile, and update some very worn components.)

We are planning to add tile to the shower area and lower half of the rest of the room, and I bought subway tile in snow white from Lowes to do it. But the sink I purchased is a much brighter white, closer to Toto's cotton white for reference. (Because the bathroom is tiny and we wanted it to fit into the style of the house, there were very few appropriate sinks.)

1. Any thoughts on how this will look once things are installed? (I could change the tile, although I prefer the warmer white of the tile to something brighter. Also, the Lowes tile is significantly less than other tile options.)
2. If I stick with the sink and tile I have, would it be better to match the toilet to the sink (Toto's cotton white) or to get a toilet that bridges the colors between the sink and tile (Toto's Colonial White)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Matching tile and fixtures

I assume the toilet will have the tile behind/beside it? The sink will be separated from the the tile and from the toilet. (Are you going to have a different backsplash?). I think it's more important that the toilet match the tile behind it. I couldn't even tell you if my sink matched my toilet exactly. I wouldn't worry, and certainly wouldn't panic over it! LOL

o

A couple of questions...

Is the sink that you purchased a pedestal? If it is, I'd want the toilet to match the sink since both will be fairly prominent in a small room.

Are you keeping the existing tub? What color is it? Does it match either the tile or sink or is it a 3rd shade?

Personally, I either like shades to match or to be different enough that it looks like it was an obvious decision. (I have to admit I hated that the two original sinks in our guest bath were a slightly different shade shade of beige. Most people probably never noticed but I couldn't NOT notice it!)

Having said that, once the room is done, it will probably look lovely, whatever you choose. If you haven't already, take a look at houzz.com for some inspiration pictures. Here are a few that appear to use several shades of white...

I thought this was a very charming vintage look...

o

Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate the photos, as some of them are a pretty good match for the kind of set-up we are likely to have.

To follow up on some of your questions: The tile will run around the entire bottom of the (very tiny) room, so both the toilet and the sink will be in front of the tile. We are keeping the tub but having it refinished. (I'm not sure how much choice there will be on the color of the tub.) Since there is no way to match the sink to the tile, we've decided to have both the sink and toilet the same color. (Hopefully the tub as well.) Although the fixtures won't match the tile, we're hoping that the matched fixtures will still make the room feel cohesive. And, as you say, I probably won't notice after a few days :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here