Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurensmom2010

Bathroom redo - white or beige?

laurensmom2010
9 years ago

Small bathroom redo. Need a 30 inch cabinet and to fix the floor. Planning on removing an almond fiberglass surround 30 inch wide tub and replacing with a shower also.

Very torn about color choices and out of time. Haven't gotten to read previous threads.

Was leaning beige, now leaning white.

Thoughts on color?

Also, if white, needing a 30 inch vanity to coordinate. I'm liking the white look but haven't found anything that will fit against the wall without the legs getting in the way, that's style and price compatible.

Flooring that won't be slippery? Plenty of slip proof beige, but doesn't seem to be much white? I was looking at 12 inch squares per tile guy recommendations but could do something else, but must not be slippery at all.

I've seen a few fabulous white baths but they're mostly huge and expensive marble that get me loving it. I don't want to be sorry about too white so need ideas to break it up, like textures that will work together.

Please- Suggestions! Photos! I was supposed to decide already but can't.

Help!

Comments (7)

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

Not sure what the issue is with the "legs getting in the way".

You can do any color floor - maybe a wood look? Or for maximum slip resistance, go with a mosaic. I used 2 x 2 quartz tiles in my lake house bathroom-similar to the ones shown in the link below. They look fabulous and are about as nonslip as you can get. Lots of color that you can pull out for wall color, towels, etc.

I would stick with white fixtures. Many vanities come with sinks that are white or marble.

What style are you leaning toward? What is the style of the rest of your house?

Here is a link that might be useful: Quartz Tile

• badgergal
    9 years ago

My daughter used Dal Tile's Florentine Carrara porcelain tile in her small bathroom remodel. She kept her tub and just tiled the tub walls and floor. She used the the matte finish and it is not slippery. If you are doing a tile shower floor they do have a 2x4 inch mosaic that could probably be used for the shower floor.
    These are 12x24's on the walls

These are 24x24 on the floor

If you are removing your tub and going with a shower only Kohler has a cast iron shower base that fits in a 30x60 tub space. My son just installed it in his bathroom model. He didn't want the hassle of all the grout lines in a tiles shower floor. His tile is Daltile's Ayers Rock Majestic Mound. He used 20 x 20 on the floor and 13 x 20 on the wall. Both are a matte finish and not slippery. I don't have a picture of the floor but here is the shower almost finished. (It doesn't look like it in the picture but his toilet does meet the minimum clearance code from the vanity and the shower)
    The Floretine tile was $3.88/sq. ft. The Ayers Rock was $6.50/sq. ft

This post was edited by badgergal on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 21:48

• sloyder
    9 years ago

I am doing a home depot tile for my bathroom walls, not white kinda like a marble. Looks better than some of the other tile they have.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile

• laurensmom2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Numbersjunkie - the legs of the vanities I've seen have round areas on the legs and aren't designed to bump against a wall it seems to me, which is what I need due to space. Tile installer said I should use 12x12 for the floors because I'd hate all the grout. ( But I'd hate slippery even more.) installer suggested 10x14 for the walls, again due to grout.
    My house is a white cottage outside but it's mostly taupe/beige inside. I was originally trying to match to that beige. But I redid the kitchen with linen white cabinets several years ago and I love how that turned out. I like the classic and traditional styles. But not too old fashioned or very modern. I think the subway tiles photos I've been looking at today could work if I can figure the floor. ( I hope I won't hate the grout! )

• laurensmom2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Badgergirl - your floors look great.

• laurensmom2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sloyd- Is there gray in that tile?

• sloyder
    9 years ago

laurensmom: Yes it has gray in it, but also has some yellow and brown. Really a weird color as it looks different depending upon the light. They also have a sand color which is more yellow/beige. I would get a sample tile and see what you think. Trying to do a Zen style bathroom so this seemed to be the best choice.