Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laying Tile Advice Needed

Posted by BrianKK (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 6:41

Hi all,
I've been reading posts and have used much of the advice I read here in the project thus far. Yesterday I hit an issue that I'm not sure about. I have 12X12 marble tiles and am accenting the tiles with 1 / 2 x 1 / 2 mosaic tiles. Where the two types of tile meet is a metal border.

The mosaics are slightly thinner (by 1 / 8 inch or 3 / 16 ) than the marble. What is the right way to get the mosaics flush with the 12 x 12 marble?

I was thinking a 1 / 4 durock backer behind the mosaics. ??? In the picture you can see the border I am talking about.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laying Tile Advice Needed

I had this issue on a floor a few years ago, with some trim pieces that were thinner than the main tile. I cut a piece of Ditra (~1/8" thick) and used that to "shim" out the thinner tile. I had Ditra as the underlayment for the whole floor, so it was a double layer of Ditra.

Worked great.

o

Weedy, thanks. Sounds like you did what I was thinking - except I used durock as an underlayment.

o

Depends on how much offset adjustment you need. For 1/8th inch or less, just use a thicker thinset and set it by eye. I hope you pre-sealed that marble!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here