Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arlinek

Prob. Re: Vessel Sink Install - has ridges

arlinek
14 years ago

It's good to be back! I haven't been here in quite a while, though always checking once in a while to ogle the beautiful bathrooms. Here's our problem: We're close to having a granite counter installed in our powder room and need to decide size of hole for glass vessel sink, based on how low we wish to embed it into the counter. I'm thinking about 1/3 of the way down. It's quite large, larger than I realized before purchasing. One can see through it rather well, also.

But, and here's the main problem: the exterior has ridges and with a bit of texture (see pics). Dimensions are 17.25" X about 7" high. Since I want to lower the height of the sink, I'm curious about how to have the sink hole cut. I think it would be almost impossible to cut a hole following the exact profile of the exterior (not to even mention the custom charge for that!) I'm guessing that the ridges protrude by about 1/4" or a little more beyond the receded part of the exterior. I'm presuming that the sink might wobble some if there isn't a snug fit between the glass ridges and the cut opening in the granite. How do we do this? My DH was thinking to purchase a large diameter, clear vinyl hose (from an aquarium shop) and slit it open and line the counter sink hole with it, hoping it would "take up the gaps" between the ridges. I'm assuming we'd also need to clear silicone it, too, so water doesn't run down into the cab. The granite fabricator hasn't seen the sink but we told him it has texture to it. He did mention about slightly beveling the edge of the hole. So, my question is: is this going to be a problem? Is there a solution or do I need to buy a different sink? 2nd question is: I'm a little worried about seeing through to the inside of my cabinet: the pipes, the cleaning supplies, etc. It's pretty crowded down there. Is there another solution for this? Even though the glass is textured, when I hold my hand near the exterior, I can see the hand quite clearly. Hoping some of you have some solutions for this dilemma. (sorry for the lg. pics; thought I'd reduced them enough)

Comments (11)

• sweeby
    14 years ago

That's a lovely sink --
    But if you want one that will be partially recessed into your countertop, this sink is simply not suited for the task...
    As you say, the ridges would make the cut-out next to impossible.
    Plus, the transparency will make the mis-fit and your cabinet interiors plainly visible.

I'd get some different sinks, or mount these on the tops of the granite.

• jjaazzy
    14 years ago

I'm thinking that if you pushed the sink into soft moldable clay or something that will take the shape to height you want they could make a template from that but that is just a guess. I'm sure the pro's here have a way.

• arlinek
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gee Jjaazzy, that's an idea that never occured to me! I'm hoping Bill and Mongo will chime in when they see this - I'm going to try and keep it towards the top. I HATE to have to sell this sink (it's just one, BTW).

• User
    14 years ago

Nope, you're not gonna get any granite guys to even attempt to "template" to that profile. Just isn't gonna happen. That's stone carving not countertop templating. There are plenty of talented folks in the stone field, but none of them are Michaelangelo carving up statues. Nor would you want to pay for them to be! LOL!

And I'm sorry, but putting clear vinyl tubing and silicone on that transparent sink is gonna look like total half assery. It's a beautiful sink, but it's only suitable for surface mounting as a vessel. If you really want to semi recess a sink in your situation, pick a different sink. If you don't want to view your cabinet contents through a transparent sink, pick a different sink. You have fallen in love with something that isn't suited to the task at hand. Either change your expectations, or change your materials to fit your expectations.

• arlinek
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, live wire, I'm still not gonna give up 'till I hear from the experts. One thing that we "can" do is build a little box under the counter that surrounds the lower part of the sink. We could paint the inside of the box or even, without the box being there, spray-paint a little frost on that lowered portion of the sink to diffuse the transparency. Sometimes you just gotta think "outside the box"!!

• youngdeb
    14 years ago

I'm with LWO, you're going to wind up with a sink that looks like it's been jerryrigged into your countertop - it will not look like a clean install. This is a little more than "texture" - when you said that I thought you meant a little ribbing. This is way beyond texture, it's got a very detailed wave profile.

• jtsgranite4us
    14 years ago

Our glass vessel sinks have ridges as well. However, the ridges are not as deep as yours and they are all the same depth. Our sinks are recessed with about one third above the vanity.

We had the hole eased and rounded. It is set with silicone and have not had any problems in 3 years.

Yours should work with silicone as well but much more silicone will be visible as your ridges are much deeper.

It is dark under your cabinets so I do not think you will have a problem seeing everything below.

• arlinek
    Original Author
    14 years ago

JTSgranite: what do you mean, "we had the hole EASED and rounded"? Is there any chance you could incl. a pic from the top looking down and a side pic - That would help me a lot!! I think you're right about the cab. being dark - I didn't think of that (guess no flood light THERE, huh?)

• jtsgranite4us
    14 years ago

I guess you can say the edge of the hole was beveled and then eased at the top. The bevel was to match the angle of the sink angle.

Here are a couple of pictures:

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Any chance of changing your countertop?

If your countertop were a softer stone such as Travertine, Limestone or Soapstone, you could ask your contractor to cut the initial circle for you, then customize it yourself with handheld grinders and hand files. It's tedious work, but possible. And NOT the kind of thing you want to pay someone else an hourly wage to do, because doing it well will probably take 10-20 hours...

Now granite? A much harder stone that won't be so 'easy' to work.

• gailquilter
    14 years ago

Great vessel, almost the one I got. Mine doesn't swirl but comes straight up to upper edge with 36 scallops same beautiful green. Must be the same folks who made yours.

I planned to drill 36 round holes in my vanity then grind down the points as needed. But I will also cut off some of the table legs. I think that may be enough. If a kid ever visits the house and the vessel is high they may grab hold and pull which might break it.I'm using an IKEA table, replacing the top with something I will tile over.
    gailquilter