Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have a chiseled edge on your granite countertop?

Posted by genab55 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 1:18

I'm considering a chiseled edge on for the granite countertop on my vanity. Does anyone have that edge and if so...how do you like it? Would you get something different if you could do it again?

Is it too rough for leaning against?
Does it snag?
What style does it go with?

Thanks for your help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have a chiseled edge on your granite countertop?

Yes, it snags sweaters. Especially if this is a place where you lean forward to apply makeup. I only recommend that edge for something like a hearth edge or bar area.

o

Are all chiseled edges the same? Someone said their fabricator made the chiseled edge softer with no sharp edges....

I love the way it made the granite look substantial but still...I'm leaning toward something else.

o

While I like the look of a chiseled edge in some applications, I think that they are too trendy. I wouldn't do it.

o

We have a chiseled edge. I asked them to soften it since it was for a vanity. At first it was odd to lean against because your clothes don't slide. However, after I got used to it I didn't notice the non-sliding bit any more. I love the look. It does not snag clothing but I'm sure that is a factor of how well they do the chisel. Not too many people see it but it does add a designer look to the bathroom and I'm kind of surprised how much people like it when they do see it.

o

Here is another pic of the softened chisel.

o

Another angle.

o

Here is a picture of the whole bathroom. We did a facelift of our existing bath. Kept the tub, cabinets and floor but replaced the countertops and recovered the tile around the tub (which was a 1990s dusty rose) with bamboo, river rock and blue glass. We live in Colorado so the style is sort of rustic but not too over the top rustic. If I did it again I would replace the tub with a single person soaker and add some cabinets to the back wall. But I wasn't up for a major remodel.

o

I forgot to mention the cost was minimal. An extra $115 for the chiseled edge. I think we got alot of bang for our buck. I think it was $8 per linear foot.

o

Thanks so much for the post! Your bathroom is beautiful!

The piece we are looking at is New Colonial Cream and was actually fabricated for another client. It's 3cm granite with a laminated edge so it has a very substantial look. Because they are really want to sell the slab they are giving it to us a a discount.

The only other issue is that in order to accommodate for the extra thickness of the edge we will have to raise it up by almost an inch make the counter about an inch higher. We ordered a kitchen height vanity as that is what they are putting in custom homes these days and I'm not sure about adding another inch as I am 5'2". But for the price I may just go for it! Now I'm just rambling on...enough already!

Anyway - thanks so much for the input and pics...I really appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here