Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kohler vs Contractor's Wardrobe vs ??? shower doors

Posted by californiaplaya (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 22, 09 at 1:02

I am just beginning to start a minor update to my master bath (floor, paint, faucets, mirror, light, etc). I've decided that after 5 years, I'm tired of looking at the ugly 25 year old stuff in there with the thought that one year, I will do a major remodel. So, I'm kind of doing this on a budget with the thought that it is to last a year or two and then if I am still living there, I will do a major remodel. Or if not, it will at least be somewhat modern looking when I decide to sell.

I recently looked at shower doors. I want something nice and functional, but nothing fancy and nothing cheap. Kind of mid grade. This will probably be the most expensive single item in this update and will consume close to half the budget. I looked at Contractor's Wardrobe at Depot and Kohler at Lowe's. CW was a bit more expensive, by about $30 for a similar set of doors. Of the two, CW's 'best' line looked better quality than Kohler. I've got a couple of sets of CW sliding closet doors, one off the shelf and one made to order, and they both work well and seem to be good quality. In a shower door, I'll probably just go with clear glass with a brushed nickel 'frameless' frame.

Does anyone have experience with either of these lines of shower doors or can recommend something else. I'd like just something I can go in and buy and install myself, so I'm really not into having a glass company come out, take measurements, have to go and decide what glass and frame and whatever else I want and then have them installed. Besides, I can't imagine this being any less expensive than doing it myself.

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kohler vs Contractor's Wardrobe vs ??? shower doors

I ordered from Lowes too and got a Basco shower door. You can shop all the Basco options and price them at theshowerdoorstore dot com and I found that the price at Lowes was about the same as online. This isn't unwrapped or installed yet. Maybe this week!

I've seen the Kohler Sterling sliding door at my sister's house. Her complaint is the towel rack attachment pieces hit each other when you open it all the way. It didn't appear to be as high quality as the Basco doors I saw in a high end bathroom showroom.

o

Hi Californiaplaya,
I am starting a small bathroom renovation similiar to the one you were planning. I am also looking at CW and Kohler shower doors. I need a pivot style door to go on an existing stall shower. Which one did you end up with and are you happy with it?
Thanks!

o

I just compared in the linked thread Century doors from a glass shop and Kohler doors.

Here is a link that might be useful: kohler vs. century shower doors

o

I have a set of Basco that are almost 30 years old, will be replacing this year, they are still in excellent shape except for some mineral discoloration/etching on the glass. Typical for glass doors this old. These are sliders on a tub/shower combo.

I have another Basco door that is almost 20 years old on a shower. This door has stationary sides with an out-swing door. It looks as good as the day it was installed.

I purchased both a bathroom fixture store. I have found that the quality in the bathroom/plumbing fixture store is much better than the big box stores.

I will be replacing the older one with Basco.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here