Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tub Suggestions for Elderly Parent?

Posted by gilmoregal (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 0:27

My mother (82 yo) must replace her cracked Jacuzzi tub and has decided not to get another whirlpool tub. We are searching for a drop-in tub to fit the existing platform: 60" x 34 or 36" - but because of mobility issues, it needs to be no more than 19.5" deep. Integrated grab bars would be helpful - but not mandatory, as we do plan to have external grab bars installed. Our plumber brought several catalogs, but we are having trouble finding anything that is not too deep. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tub Suggestions for Elderly Parent?

Would she be willing to switch to showers? I know that many elderly people don't like showers - my mother hated them - but tubs, even with grab rails, are so unsafe for older people.

Other than that - I hope someone knows good tub options for you.

o

Gladys1924 - She does have a separate shower in her master bathroom which she has been using since her tub cracked. But she really prefers and enjoys baths, so we are hoping to find a tub that fits the space but isn't too deep. At some point, she may have to switch completely to showers, but at least for now we would like for her to have the option of taking a bath. Thanks!

o

maybe this one

Here is a link that might be useful: tub

o

Walk in tubs? They have doors on the sides.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Walk in tubs

o

I saw one of these at our local ReStore and don't understand why they aren't more popular. Seems like the integrated step would be very useful to many.

With the addition of grab bars, this might be a reasonable way to go...

o

My mother has recently got detected with spinal problem so as per suggested by doctor she was not allowed to bend or put any pressure on her lower body. So one of the problems we had was like other homes we also have traditional bath tubs, but now because of my mothers condition we were looking out for some really good options in walk-in tubs. Then on our doctors suggestion we got installed these walk-in tubs from Safeguard Tubs company. As he recommended it we didnt gave second thought and bought it. Well it has sure acted as boon for my mother as she dosent have to bend for her shower and can easily enjoy her bath without any assistance. Also we its safety bars she can manage herself all alone. If it can help me..you can also try it out

o

For a lot of people, waiting for the tub to empty before getting out can be pretty miserable as they have to sit, wet, for 7 to 10 minutes while the water gradually drains. There is the Ava tub which drains quickly into a holding tank, which then drains normally, allowing the side to open in 30 seconds (or so they claim). However, I just looked at an add and it costs just about as much as a small car!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here