Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary4070

master bathroom design help desperately needed

Mary4070
9 years ago

Hello everyone,
I am reposting this question as I realize the first floorplan posted was too small to read. i hope this one is better.
Please let me know your thoughts on how I could improve the master bed room/bath/wic areas (and any of the other parts of the second floor).

We are a family with three children 6, 10 & 13. 2 younger boys one older girl.

Thanks so much
Mary

To answer mongoct's question from the previous post . I would prefer to keep the master bath in the back rather than move it to where bedroom 4 is.

Comments (16)

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

Its not really clear, but is that a freestanding tub, or a platform tub? My initial reaction is that the tub area seems large relative to the shower area. Is the shower 60 x 42? I would make it a bit longer, especially with the bench at one end. We have a 60 inch shower in our house and a 64" shower in our vacation home and just that extra 4" makes a big difference to us.

I think the door into the master bath opening aganist the tub is akward. Maybe consider a barn door (on either the bath or master bedroom side? Chances are that door will rarely be closed anyway.

Have you thought about furniture placement in the the master? Is that a kng bed in the drawing? I would lay out all the furniture there to be sure you will have a place for everything and adequate walkways. Not sure if the wall on either side of the bathroom door is wide enough for a chest of drawers, but you know what you want to put there? I would not want the bathroom dood to be the focal point of that wall, especially since that's the way you will be facing when in bed. Again, a barn door there would be nice to look at.

The closet looks fine, except that I would consider french doors there - when closed it will look nicer than a regualr door and when open they will not extend beyond the hanging closthes or shelving on wither side.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

I think it's generally a good layout. Is there something in particular that's bothering you about it?

• Mary4070
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Numbersjunkie, Thanks so much for the comments. The tub is free standing and I agree does take up a lot of room. I read somewhere that one should have at least 12 inches preferably 18 on all sides of a freestanding tub (I assume for cleaning and walking around). Maybe thatâÂÂs not such good advice and I could tighten up the extra space and lengthen the shower as suggested.

I agree that having the bed face the bathroom door is not ideal. I am thinking of repositioning the bed to the bottom wall and that way will have a much bigger sitting space by the bay window. Is that a good change?
    I also like the French doors for the closet idea and will rethink how to reconfigure the entrance door.

Weedyacres, thanks for the positive words. I guess IâÂÂm just looking to see how to improve the plan. You never know what you donâÂÂt know. I am a little concerned that the master closet may not be big enough for myself and my husband. Of course one's closet wants will always be greater than one's closet needs. (apologies to Mick Jagger :))

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

Gosh, I hope that much distance isn't required around a freestanding tub because I won't have it - other than the side where the floor mounted faucet will be.

If I'm reading you plan correctly, your closet is 7-4 by 10-9. But the area where clothes will hang that is drawn does not look like it is 24" deep as required for hanging space. On the short side, you will have 3 feet 4 inches between the racks of clothes which is acceptable but not nearly as much space as your drawing would suggest.

How much hanging space do you have now? Assuming you do mostly rods (one over the other), that will give you 2 x 10-8 or 21 feet of space on the back wall alone. Maybe save the sides and front for shelving?

I don't think the bed on the front wall will look as nice when entering the room. But I would defintiely arrange the furniture using proper scale to see if things will fit where you want them. If you plan to have a sitting area, definitely check measurements for the type of seating you want there.

I think your plan is really very nice too! But sometimes the devil is in the details so I've learned to double check all those details!

• Mary4070
    Original Author
    9 years ago

numbersjunkie , Yes those details can be very devilish. Thanks again for the response. The lines in the closet represent 12 inch shelves over the rods and are just a standin for a real closet design. Maybe I will take out the shelves to avoid confusion. I probably have only 10-12 ft of hanging space so yes the 21 feet would be a big change.

One question on the bedroom entry is do you think I should replace the linen closet outside the door with a double french door entry to the master bedroom? The one reason I added the closet was because I read that having two bedroom doors at the top of the stairs is really bad Feng Shui but now Im wondering if a double door entry would be worth it.

As for the bed placement, I agree that having the bed close to the door is not that great. The advantage is having a very large sitting area at the foot of the bed and a better focal point as you pointed out. I do need to lay out some furniture and see if I like it that way.

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

First thing that jumped out at me was the plethora of 2-6 doors. Now 2-6 doors can certainly work. Buy I am a sucker for a nice 3-0 door; carrying laundry baskets, moving furniture, aging in place.

Your AHJ might want the WC door in the master to open outward instead of inward.

Those are the two things I'd discuss. The following stuff is mostly fluff.

You mentioned the idea of double doors into the Master. Realize that'll give you double doors at a 90-degree angle to the length of the upstairs hallway, and also right at the top of the stair landing. It might make your master a bit noisy from sounds outside your bedroom. Especially when your kids get older.

If you didn't have the juliet balcony off of the office, and if you don't need the office as a guest bedroom, I'd ask you to consider turning the Office into Bedroom 4. Incorporate what is now Bedroom 4 into your master suite. It can be your sitting room, your hiding space, or your adult office. With three eventual teenagers, you might want a hiding place someday.

Bedroom 3 has the bathroom toilet on its wall, the 10-8 wall. I recommend using a cast iron pipe, or if PVC/ABS is used, incorporating sound deadening measures on the toilet DWV pipe to keep things quiet.

It's a nice floor plan. Busy. Lots of twists and turns.

When you walk into Bedroom 4, there's an alcove of sorts on the right. Maybe 12" deep by 8' long. I'd consider a book case or built-in cabinetry there. The bookcase/cabinetry can serve Bedroom 4, or you can relocate that portion of the partition wall down a bit, and the book case can serve the Master Bedroom. That cabinetry, along with the Bedroom 4 closet, will provide a full wall of sound deadening between those two rooms.

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

Some folk on the forum are bothered by a window behind them when they are looking into a bathroom vanity mirror. Even with drapes, etc. Don't have to change what you have, my setup is similar and we have no issues. Just something to consider.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Hi, I've been thinking about your floor plan since I first saw it and I think it looks nice. I love your stairs. I too thought furniture placement would be difficult with the bathroom door in the middle of your best wall for a dresser. I tried moving your bathroom wall to the left a couple feet. Your bedroom seemed very wide, especially not having room on that wall for furniture.
    Then I put a linen closet to the left as you enter the bathroom. This allows you to move your bathroom door so that you have wall space for a dresser. The door to the bathroom would then open up against the linen closet. That door would take up 30 inches when open, so you need to have it clear the tub. Unless you do a pocket door. I think I would like a pocket door going to your MB closet.
    My mom's bedroom was similar in size and it looked great. She also had a chest to the left of the bay window if your room has the length and you move the windows a little.
    I reconfigured the 3 rd bathroom, now accessible to office too. You also have a linen closet in your much larger hallway at the top of the stairs, which also helps to lengthen the wall in your bedroom for a piece of furniture.
    I like Mongo's idea of bookshelves on bedroom 4's wall, unless you decide to take that 8 or 10 inches and add that to your bedroom and move the BDRM 4's closet further into that bedroom. You gain you an extra 10 inches in your bedroom!
    It is probably a very good idea to use graph paper and cut out pieces of scaled furniture and chairs to see how every thing fits.

• Mary4070
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mongoct, thanks for all the good advice. Also I had to look up what AHJ meant and got a good chuckle out of it. Of course I would define it differently depending on the day. And yes 3âÂÂ0 doors would be nice. I may bump up some of the doors, especially the master and the laundry.

Karenseb, thanks for your ideas and especially the redraw. I will play around with moving items around so that I can expand the wall at the foot of the bed. Also having the bedroom 4 bathroom accessible to the office is an interesting idea. However IâÂÂm worried that having two shared bathrooms on the same floor is overkill and of course my daughter would love to have her own bathroom. Something I need to think about.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I'd hate to have to walk all the way through the bathroom just to get a shirt.

I would also wonder about the higher humidity in there and causing mustiness on the clothes.

• Mary4070
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lazygardens, you bring up a good point. Of course the air ventilation will have to be top notch but I wonder if anyone has had any experience with a setup like this. I was toying with the idea of placing the closet first and then the bathroom but I would lose a 3 ft back wall for the second closet door. Moreover it would also be a long way to go to powder my nose.

• enduring
    9 years ago

I haven't read all the post and don't your issues. But, I was wondering about moving the master bath and closet to the other part of the floor, just "south" of your master bedroom. Then put a bedroom and bathroom where the existing master bath and closet are on you plan. though I see that it might be too narrow for a bedroom in that area.

If you keep thinks as they are, I'd put a door in that closet to that hallway so I didn't have to carry laundry all the way from the laundry room through the bedroom, through the bathroom, and finally into the closet. Maybe that has been mentioned.

• Mary4070
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi All,
    I redrew ,y master and other areas of the second floor based on many of the helpful suggestions/comments that you provided.
    some changes:
    1) added another door to WIC to give direct access to laundry per suggestions by enduring and others. However I'm wondering if the convenience of the added door costs too much in closet wall space.
    2) switched shower with tub to give tub more private feel.
    3) added open shelves for towels
    4) increase to width of WIC
    5) Changed cathedral ceilings to coffered onesin Master bed room
    6) moved bathroom and closet to far left wall of bedroom 4

please let me know what you may think about the changes. I really appreciate all the help and love the great ideas:)
    thanks
    Mary

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

I am late to the discussion but you might consider adding double door to the bathroom that will open into the bedroom not into the bathroom. Your door now looks small and will be in your way unless you shut it.

I have a similar bathroom layout as yours that I am working on a remodel plan. I am having the same size shower as you have drawn but using a 66 - 67 inch freestanding tub. How big is the window you have planned for over your tub? I was looking at doing a 48 X 48 with a transom window over mine.

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

I went and re read the above discussion after posting : ) I wanted to add that I have a door that leads to the laundry room to the master closet and I love it! I am not sure about the double doors in to the master closet. I personally like double doors left open the majority of the time because they look nice, I would not leave them open if they lead to my closet.

If you did the double doors into the bathroom/bedroom and they open into the bedroom I would make them a 48 inch double door not huge but nice enough to make the bathroom more grand.

What freestanding tub are you doing? I am wanting a air tub. Looking at the Maax Jazz because i wanted a deck mount faucet but recently have decided I want a floor mount facet so still researching what tub to use.

• razamatazzy
    9 years ago

If you want to watch TV while in bed, you will need to re-adjust the linen closet, to make the wall longer like someone else suggested.