Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Tile Backsplash Layout

monicakm_gw
16 years ago

Oh me oh my! DH and I thought we had our decorative tile layout nailed. Then today we laid it all out on the floor and well, it doesn't look like we thought it would. Maybe it will on the wall but it doesn't laying on the floor :( My question right now is concerning the vanity backsplash. I think the blue tile should sit directly on the counter. The tiles are 2" and there will be two rows. I think the pencil rail should go on top. I can get smaller pencil rail if it looks too big. The mirror on top of that. My husband thought I'd want to use that 2" chair rail on top :o I'm so tired of looking at all this and now am beginning to think the whole thing looks hideous! If it does, I wish someone would have told me when I was asking for opinions :o The blue tile will be going around the entire bathroom. How would YOU arrange it at the backsplash. A cut to fit mirror will fit on top of the backsplash.

Monica

Comments (13)

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oops...

• Frizzle
    16 years ago

Personally, I think a visual break between the blue of the backsplash tiles and the countertop would be needed.

So I would put the pencil tiles first, then the blue tiles, I'm a little fuzzy on what you wanted to do around the mirror but I'd then put the mirror framed out with the trim molding.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There will be no tile "framing" the mirror. The only tile will be along the top of th vanity. Thanks for your suggestion.
    Monica

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

I don't know-- call me crazy-- but I like the two rows with the stone rail on top. You've got the vanity top (stone), then the tile, and then stone again.

I like it!! Hey MIKEY!!

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well Mikey likes it...he likes EVERYthing (g) Bill, I don't know if you can tell by the picture or not, but does that particlar pencil rail look too large? I know they make a thinner one.
    Thanks,
    Monica

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

It looks like a 1" diameter, which should be fine. Stone is SUPPOSED to look heavy, especially rustic stone. If you were going with a single row of tile, then it might be a bit overpowering.

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

Do you LOVE the color scheme? I can't get past the juxtaposition, however you do it, of the earthy warm countertops and rail versus the cool, translucent blues.

So I'm no help. But if nothing else, I would personally get a better transition of some kind between the two. I just don't know how to bridge that gap.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

pinktoes, I DID love the color scheme. I'm not loving anything in this four room remodel at the moment :( I've seen it all too much. Maybe it will help if I tell you the inspiration for the color scheme. I'm NOT doing an island or a tropical bathroom BUT, the colors came from the Caribbean. We've taken a couple of cruises to the Caribbean and one of the most tranquil and beautiful spots (to me) are the beaches...the sandy beaches dotted with the darker driftwood and the beautiful Caribbean sea tones of blue and aqua. My floors are an ivory honed travertine-look porcelain. The walls will have the same tile, along with tumbled travertine, travetine pencil rail, the blue tiles and a travertine chair rail. This will go around the entire bathroom except for the vanity area. I've added more glass (the blue tiles are glass) to the bathroom with a glass sink and crystal chandelier and a "rain" textured glass door. The vanity is stained a dark chocolate color.
    The bathroom photos show a bit more of a yellow undertone than it really has. Do you think I need that pencil rail sitting on the counter and then the blue or tile directly on the counter and topped with the pencil? These tiles do come in a pencil type "liner". Don't know if that would help or not.

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

I'm afraid this will come out the wrong way, I understand your intellectual concept about the Caribbean. It's the execution I'm not seeing as working. And the sink now brings in some deep violets. Try this: pretend you're talking to an interior designer, and describe your color scheme, but without talking about the Caribbean. Go to a color wheel and try to see how it fits in that "designer language". I can't place it.

I would have done the sink and backsplash and some pale off-white wet sand countertop. Or, I would have done the countertop, vanity and even floor you have. And if you wanted that sink, I'd have gone to a repetition of its colors. You just don't have a blender color. That rail won't blend what you're trying to blend.

The other problem I have is more the "feeling" of the counter/vanity versus the backsplash. Not the color; that's a separate issue. The earthy, sensual browns and active countertop. Against the ethereal, Airy blue glass tiles. It's too abrupt a change. Nature doesn't do it that way. And I think the sand isn't that dense a pattern with its driftwood. Isn't Caribbean sand more like that railing?

Personal opinion, in summary? I think you're trying to bring in too many different colors/patterns/feelings into too small a space. If you had a thousand acres, maybe.

If you want/have to stick with what you've got, I'd get that glass tile as far away from the countertop as possible. A trim at high wainscot level around the room (are the lower walls tile?) Then take it vertical and go 2/3 of the way up the position of the mirrors and bring it to them horizontally way up there. Totally away from the counter.

But that's me.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    16 years ago

I've an off-the-wall suggestion. Can you put a dark stained trim in place of the light colored pencil tile? I'd do the blue tiles directly on the counter, and then sandwich it with the dark stained trim on top and counter on the bottom. That is, bring it back around to the dark wall and the dark stained cabinet. Too much light floating above the dark makes it too contrasty. My $0.02.

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

Is there something I missed about you not being able to use the whiter travertine wall tile like this, with the blue glass tiles well above the countertop?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1493662}}

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

Or as an art piece on another wall like this? And maybe run the glass tile border around part of the room from this artwork, but avoiding the troublesome backsplash? Or do a whole wall in the glass tile?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1493663}}

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Monica,

I love your granite, but from the pictures I don't think the tiles go with it. I am not a decorator so I can't explain WHY, just MY gut reaction to what I see. The stone pencil railing of course goes. Have you bought your tile already? Can you return it and exchange for something else?

I have just this week migrated from Kitchens to a few of the other forums so I didn't see any questions from you earlier- I think I did see a pic of your wired drawer? If you are the one with the plug in the drawer, I still don't know how that works? Inquiring minds want to know (I still haven't quite got the hang of how to follow threads- just started bookmarking thanks to someone's suggestion)

I understand what Pinktoes is trying to say. It is very hard sometimes to be honest when you are trying not to hurt someone's feelings. But since you asked for an honest opinion I think it would be more hurtful to be vague. Many years ago I was about to start selling a clothing line via home shows- my friends came over when I got my demo pack and I excitingly showed off all the pieces. Well, long story short they got together and decided they had to tell me that I couldn't sell that 'crap'- I wouldn't be happy... They very bravely sat me down and basically did 'an intervention' before I got going. It was very hard to hear- but perhaps one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me. I was able to return my 'kit' and ended up starting another business that worked out extremely well for me for the next ten years.

I love what's going on in the other two pics- can you explain what they are? The one with the chandelier- is that the BR or the MBedR (BTW- what is the difference in abbreviation for BR bathroom- what is bedroom?)

I've had a crappy day today and poor hubby got the brunt of it on the phone when I couldn't find the drywall knives- when the window gal came by to collect her cheque (for windows that took 6 MONTHS to be completed) I was close to tears when she asked me how's it going? I just got off the phone with the kitchen place asking if my granite was going to be installed tomorrow- she had no clue- my guess is the answer is NO- and we're heading out of town tomorrow night, so guess everything's on hold for another week. Should we commiserate together? Guess I'm due for a break- only I'm so exhausted and tired of washing dishes by hand...that I haven't even begun to pack...ah it'll be worth it- right?