Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgopp

Concrete spiral sink

jgopp
10 years ago

I worked on this project just recently. I saw a couple photos online of people trying to get this type of thing installed. And here is how it turned out. Pretty happy with the results! What do you all think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Concrete spiral sink

Comments (16)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Looks cool, fun to watch, a bear to clean. How do you wash your hair, or delicates? Not for me. Interesting but looks like a fancy dentist spit bowl. Sorry, but you asked. ;-)

-Babka

• jgopp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha, well it's just a basement bath sink... there is a shower in the bath as well. Don't plan on washing much but your face and teeth in this one.

This post was edited by jgopp on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 0:59

• enduring
    10 years ago

The water spout is too close to the edge for practical purposes. If the spout swiveled so that it could be centered over the hole for face washing and teeth brushing that would help. Then the placement returned, as currently located, for the fun show.

• jacqueline5
    10 years ago

Very cool! The concrete is beautiful, it looks like soapstone.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Neat looking sink, and the fact that you you made it yourself ups the cool factor!!!

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

I suppose you could spit directly into the drain, and wash your hands directly over the drain as well, so there wouldn't be any reason to have soapy and spitty liquids running down the ramp and making it dirty...the ramp looks like it is a bit uneven - part of the design, I know. But if it were smooth all the way down, it'd be easier to clean on the rare occasions that would be necessary.

How to wash delicates in that sink? Either don't have ones that need to be washed, or put them in one of those delicates baggy things and throw them in the wash machine on special cycle.

The u-tube is kind of cool, but I bet after a time or two of watching the water swirl, the novelty would wear off. Unless you installed special lights - and maybe music - so each use of the sink would be different. Might be a way to get your kids to wash and floss long enough - when the light display is done, then you're done! :-)

• jgopp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gladys: lights haha, actually for my niece and nephew I added glow in the dark aggregate into the concrete. You can't tell it's there until the lights are turned off. They are the ones who will primarily be using this sink.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

it has a cool factor but would not be practical for many homes. If you're in the other hemisphere, do you pour the "nautilus" shell in the opposite direction to account for clockwise spin of water down the drain? :-)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Divotdiva- Great question. So I looked it up on Snopes. The reverse doesn't happen in sinks down under. ;-(

Jgopp- Oooooo. Can you capture that glow and post a pic! How cool is that? What a fun uncle you are!

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Snopes

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

Jgopp, you rock!
    I think such a sink would be great for encouraging kids to wash their hands.
    Let's see it glow! Pretty please?

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

and where do you get "glow in the dark aggregate"? !!! I would have made a whole patio out of it LOL

• sochi
    10 years ago

Very neat sink, thanks for sharing. Great work.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

divotdiva: I got it off a google search. Funny you mention the patio, a lot of pictures of the stuff have it imbedded into driveways or patios or outdoor cooking areas. I'll try and snap a photo of it today.

• jacqueline5
    10 years ago

I cannot wait to see your sink glow!

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

Interesting....I googled it too, lots of photos. I think I might get tired of it on a patio after a few years, though. One site says the stuff glows for at least 20 years! My patio is done, maybe not to late to find GITD grout..... :-)

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness, it actually exists! (grout) I wouldn't use it on my whole bathroom, but maybe a small project for the patio....a table or such