Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
space between vanity and mirror

Posted by hello8 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 22, 11 at 0:09

We are planning a large mirror over our vanity. I am thinking of putting in a 4-inch backsplash above the vanity. The faucet will be a Hansgrohe Citterio that has a height of 9 inches. How far above the vanity should the mirror begin? Does a 4-inch backsplash make sense? I just saw a photo of a large mirror that goes all the way down to the vanity - no backsplash. It looks very nice. Are there any downsides to that? I suppose you would have to clean it more often. It could also be useful for vertically challenged children to see themselves in the mirror.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: space between vanity and mirror

Well, one other consideration is that you see the back side of the faucet, which is either a good thing or a bad thing, depending. Certainly it's a great incentive to keep it seriously clean, but also you may run the risk of scratching the mirror if you have to deal with things like mineral build-up back there, and even with caulking if water stands there very much I would imagine there's some risk of the bottom edge starting to desilver over time.

o

If kids are using the sink on a regular basis I would opt for a backsplash. More important for me for positioning the mirror is the overall space it sits in. How far are the ceiling and side walls (if applicable) from the frame of the mirror? Centering on the space most important in my book. If ceiling is close to top of mirror I would leave the same amount of space between the ceiling and the top edge of the frame as the bottom edge of the frame to the top edge of the backsplash.

o

I vote backsplash--it protects the wall in case of splashing & splashing is bound to happen at some point with the sink. Better safe than sorry. We just had ours installed in our new home build & we staged it first & found that 3/4 of an inch between the top of the 4" backsplash & the bottom edge of the mirror frame worked best with the size mirrors we decided to go with & the positioning of the light fixtures. I definitely recommend staging first with the dimensions of the items you have chosen no matter if you do the backplash or not. Hope this helps!

o

thanks! -- we decided to go with the 4-inch backsplash

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here