Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
floor color modern bathroom

Posted by mtglobal (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 23:56

Hello, I am in the midst of a bathroom remodel for the powder room. Bathroom is modern/contemporary style with a gorgeous black and grey granite (azul noche) counter on white cabinets. I realized that I now am not sure what color floor to do. White stone feels like too much white but black (like black absolute granite) feels too dark. Does anyone have any ideas what to do here?

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: floor color modern bathroom

We used a black-ish tile, with a subtle sheen; Atlas Concorde (AKDO); Glow tile in "Cosmos" 12x24, TEC XT grout in Raven (unsanded).

Pictures don't do it justice:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Thank you for sharing. Your design is lovely.

o

You're welcome! Our bathrooms are contemporary-somewhat modern in look/feel, so thought it might work for your bathroom as well. Our MB is quite small, but the floor doesn't make it seem smaller or dark in the least. We used a black vanity and a sheer black window shade, but all the fixtures are white, the wall tile is white, and the paint is a pale greyed-blue (with white ceiling), which all help to keep the bathroom looking light. I actually find myself dimming the recessed lights a bit because it can sometimes look too bright.

o

cat-mom.....love the look of your flooring!

o

Thank you! It feels nice underfoot as well! Especially when the floor heat is on on a chilly day! :-)

o

I used Glamour Brown by Sintesi Tiles:

Here's the almost done bathroom. The floor tiles were cut down for the shower floor and the larger tiles used on the rest of the bathroom. I'll try to take a better picture soon.

o

annkathryn - love the look of your shower ~ What is the 'green'? And how is your center drain finished? Could you post a close-up pic of that? I'm curious as to how that's finished off....

o

The green waterfall is glass tile from Gigi Stiix. This is a photo of the sample board with sanded tile - we used unsanded.

The center drain is just a standard square drain with the tile cut around it. I'll have to post a pic in a couple of days as the painters are in and everything's covered up.

o

That tile is beautiful, annkathryn!

o

Very pretty!

o

Just finished a small bath reno in which we used Daltile City View porcelain in the 'Urban Evening' color, a dark charcoal, for both the floor and the shower, along with white fixtures, a white vanity and 'absolute black' for counter and sill. I don't have a picture focusing on the floor, but this should give you a general idea (pre-shower door install):

o

oops - forgot to mention that the shower floor is actually Daltile Continental Slate because the City View doesn't come in a mosaic and my tile installer recommended against cutting down the 12x12. The two are not an exact match, but are the combination works well.

o

JW34, your bathroom is beautiful! Very similar style to mine. The large 12" tiles are a dark grey color from the name. Is there a sheen to them or are they matte?

Annkathryn, the shower looks so inviting. Great use of the green tile for a waterfall feel.

Thanks for sharing.

o

mtglobal: the tiles are matte, not completely smooth, a little bit of texture on the surface. I believe they are intended to mimic limestone and thus have some slight 'dimples'.

FWIW, I purchased them from Home Depot online.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here