Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtglobal_gw

floor color modern bathroom

mtglobal
11 years ago

Hello, I am in the midst of a bathroom remodel for the powder room. Bathroom is modern/contemporary style with a gorgeous black and grey granite (azul noche) counter on white cabinets. I realized that I now am not sure what color floor to do. White stone feels like too much white but black (like black absolute granite) feels too dark. Does anyone have any ideas what to do here?

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Comments (14)

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

We used a black-ish tile, with a subtle sheen; Atlas Concorde (AKDO); Glow tile in "Cosmos" 12x24, TEC XT grout in Raven (unsanded).

Pictures don't do it justice:

• mtglobal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing. Your design is lovely.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

You're welcome! Our bathrooms are contemporary-somewhat modern in look/feel, so thought it might work for your bathroom as well. Our MB is quite small, but the floor doesn't make it seem smaller or dark in the least. We used a black vanity and a sheer black window shade, but all the fixtures are white, the wall tile is white, and the paint is a pale greyed-blue (with white ceiling), which all help to keep the bathroom looking light. I actually find myself dimming the recessed lights a bit because it can sometimes look too bright.

• anajane
    11 years ago

cat-mom.....love the look of your flooring!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Thank you! It feels nice underfoot as well! Especially when the floor heat is on on a chilly day! :-)

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

I used Glamour Brown by Sintesi Tiles:

Here's the almost done bathroom. The floor tiles were cut down for the shower floor and the larger tiles used on the rest of the bathroom. I'll try to take a better picture soon.

• anajane
    11 years ago

annkathryn - love the look of your shower ~ What is the 'green'? And how is your center drain finished? Could you post a close-up pic of that? I'm curious as to how that's finished off....

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

The green waterfall is glass tile from Gigi Stiix. This is a photo of the sample board with sanded tile - we used unsanded.

The center drain is just a standard square drain with the tile cut around it. I'll have to post a pic in a couple of days as the painters are in and everything's covered up.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

That tile is beautiful, annkathryn!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Very pretty!

• jw34
    11 years ago

Just finished a small bath reno in which we used Daltile City View porcelain in the 'Urban Evening' color, a dark charcoal, for both the floor and the shower, along with white fixtures, a white vanity and 'absolute black' for counter and sill. I don't have a picture focusing on the floor, but this should give you a general idea (pre-shower door install):

• jw34
    11 years ago

oops - forgot to mention that the shower floor is actually Daltile Continental Slate because the City View doesn't come in a mosaic and my tile installer recommended against cutting down the 12x12. The two are not an exact match, but are the combination works well.

• mtglobal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

JW34, your bathroom is beautiful! Very similar style to mine. The large 12" tiles are a dark grey color from the name. Is there a sheen to them or are they matte?

Annkathryn, the shower looks so inviting. Great use of the green tile for a waterfall feel.

Thanks for sharing.

• jw34
    11 years ago

mtglobal: the tiles are matte, not completely smooth, a little bit of texture on the surface. I believe they are intended to mimic limestone and thus have some slight 'dimples'.

FWIW, I purchased them from Home Depot online.