Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huango

How would you modify this layout?

huango
15 years ago

Hello,

I would appreciate your feedback on this layout.

Currently, my "master" bedroom is long and narrow: ~23' x 12'.

I'm hoping to be able to squeeze in a masterbath and walk-in closet.

Notes:

- the windows cannot be moved (they face the front and side of Colonial house)

- the plumbing alignment is perfect; straight shot up from basement through 1st floor closet.

Questions:

- is this layout too small? should I just live w/out a masterbath/closet?

- I really want a large shower. All the pre-fab ones seem so claustrophic. Is 5'x4'10" large enough?

How incredibly more expensive are custom made showers?

- How would you design a mbath/closet in this space instead?

This is the current layout (flip upside down from the above laout).

I plan to push my doorway into upper-left bedroom (extending the hallway).

THANK YOU very much for your help,

Amanda

Comments (6)

• sweeby
    15 years ago

I think you've done a good job with the space you've got to work with --

Your proposed shower is generously sized, and the closet works as well. You don't really have room for any other furniture in your BR, but if you're OK with that...

With a pedestal sink, you don't appear to have a lot of storage in the bathroom. Maybe a large cabinet over the toilet?

Also, the doorway into the bathroom appears to be getting blocked by the sink. You'll need a 24" clearance, though more would be better.

Design-wise, I'd be tempted to make the entire bathroom a 'wet room' with minimal division between the shower and rest of the space. That would make the space feel larger and airier.

You'll also need to pay special attention to water-proofing and privacy-screening your window.

• makennedy
    15 years ago

agree. We've been wrestling with "how big is big" on the shower issue. Our second house has two 40 x 40 showers. They are very comfortable. We are not big people. My contractor (who is solid but not big) just installed a 29x32 (I don't think it's to code--I gather 30 inch min is generally code) in his newly remodeled house and says he's surprised that it doesn't feel super tight. We have space for a 55x34 inch shower in our planning, but my spouse just feels that's over the top and wants it down to 34 x 40. Still spacious. I think I've seen bowed-window shower doors somewhere, which would add more of a spacious feel to a shower. I'm also not sure if you have adequate clearance from shower door to toilet/sink.

• treasureforu
    15 years ago

Hi
    The first thing I thought about was having enough room to open doors so I would definetly make sure the doors will work in the space.
    My next question would be what do you consider a walk in closet to be? If you are just using it to store clothes how wide would it need to be? Most walk in closets waste a lot of space that is empty area but not really big enough to dress in. So unless you need to dress in the area would a narrow closet work? If you can do a narrow closet I would try mapping things out a bit differently. Our current closet is 8' long but only 5'2" wide. We have the normal wire racks in the closet. One side has 2 rows of low hanging racks, so we used one for shirts and the other for slacks. The other side is all for long hanging garmets like my dresses.Then there is another long hanging rack that runs across the back. We have tons of clothes in there but it was the most useable space we have had so far out of four different homes!
    Then you would be left with a long narrow bath but if you ran the shower extra long on one wall and only as wide as you might actually need then you can run your toilet and sink on the other long wall.
    I hope you get what I am talking about. We love the layout in our current home. It flows nicely.

• huango
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for your inputs.

2 notes:
    1. I am sorry that the picture of the layout is distorted. It makes the room look longer than it is.
    2. I'm planning 2 pocket doors for the closet and bath. The doors SHOULD open fully, so I shouldn't have to squeeze past the pedestal sink.

Sweeby: I'll research about wet-room. This would eliminate the need for shower door. My aunt has a tiny one in Vietnam. I don't know how she keeps the toilet paper/towels dry.
    Yes, definitely storage above the toilet.
    Can I water-proof the window w/out making it look weird from the outside?

makennedy: interesting: 40x40 = comfortable. I would think that would be rather small and tight; I'm only 4'11" tall.

treasureforu: great thoughts.
    Yes, the closet will only for storing clothes. I would have to steal my daughter's whole room for a luxurious dressing room (dream: :) I'm planning a similar layout to your closet.
    With less than 12', I don't think I can fit a closet and a bathroom with the shower running along the long wall. There wouldn't be enough room to walk past the sink to get to the toilet.
    I have that problem now w/ my current 2 bathrooms; too narrow. We have to squeeze past the vanity to get to the toilet.
    Let me play w/ the layout again...

thank you.
    Amanda

• ami103
    12 years ago

Hi Huango, I know it's been a while since you posted this but I wanted to know what you decided on? I have a similarly sized bedroom and in unsure if having the bed against the back wall will feel cramped.

• huango
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ami: quick reply:
    - sorry, but no we've decided to scrap this plan: too tight.
    Instead, we'll add a 2nd floor to the familyroom to become the master bedroom, so my new master closet will be: 7.5feet by 16.5feet - woohooo!!!

Good luck w/ yours. would love to see it when it's done.
    thanks,
    Amanda