Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
applepie61

Does This Tile Mosaic Look Right To You -- Pictures

applepie61
14 years ago

Today the tile guy laid our floor in the guest bathroom and something is not right...the left side of the pattern does not match the right side. Specifically, where the ming green meets the basketweave on the top, bottom and left side, there's white thassos bricks. On the right side where the ming green meets the basketweave there's a combination of ming green dots and pieces of the thassos bricks. My eyes like to see symmetry and this doesn't look symmetrical to me. I think he could have moved the border in one row and this could have been avoided. Is it normal to do a pattern this way where the left side doesn't match the right? Am I being too picky? He hasn't finished the job so I imagine there's still time to make adjustments??? What are your thoughts?

Comments (30)

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

It's a little tough to tell without the thassos strips installed on the outside of the right side border, but I have a feeling that if he were to move that side in one, thereby keeping the pattern symetrical the way you want it, the borders then won't be, making the whole thing look off balance. The only way to do it the way you want would be to rip up the entire floor and move it over a half tile, so you have half pieces of the thassos mosaics up against the ming green stripe. I'd say your best bet is to leave it as is. Although I do understand what you're saying, this is something you should've discussed with him prior to installation. Personally, it would bother me, as well. I think it has something to do with my touch of OCD-- balance in everything-- but I have a feeling most people wouldn't even notice it.

• olychic
    14 years ago

Applepie61, I too am driven crazy by asymmetry when I think things should be symmetrical. My last posting was panic about the plumber locating the shower drain where it won't be centered in the tile, so I feel your pain. But honestly, I looked at your photos and it took me a little while to even see what you were concerned with. Maybe people who are more used to seeing that tile pattern will pick it out immediately, but to me it looks like the pattern stops in a logical place so the border is spaced correctly from the edges. I think the eye will naturally go to the placement and symmetry of the border, which looks perfect. I also think the eye first moves along the floor end to end instead of side to side, then secondarily to the border and lastly might move side to side and pick up a difference in the tile pattern, but it sure did not come close to jumping out at me. I found this beautiful floor with the pattern off, too, and don't think it is at all noticeable - except I was looking for it as an example.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

That asymmetry would drive me absolutely bonkers. It's a pity because obviously it's not a slap-dash installation.

I'm not sure how it will play out, but I'm reposting one of your photos below. Are those cabinets on the right side in this photo? With a toe kick?

If possible, I'd look into taking up the ming border on the right side and extending the pattern to the right. If that is a toe kick, the toe kick can provide a bit of fudge-factoring.

Mongo

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Unless you can find some way to fudge the right margin (ik.e. if some of the green border is covered), I'm not sure there *is* a way to make it work out differently. If it's not covered, then I'd say he made the right choice to make the border the same size on both sides rather than have the green border be different sizes, which would *immediately* scream out asymmetry. This way it just looks like field tile was cut where it naturally had to end. It's not like someone putting a 1/4 of a 12x12 tile on an end and having a full tile on the other side, to me -- that's completely avoidable. This doesn't seem to be.

• astridh
    14 years ago

That is gorgeous tile. Could you fix your problem by making the design a large rectangle instead of following the contour of the vanity?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

I laid mine out, and it is a very tricky job. Yours is all the harder because it's smaller. The only spot i couldn't get the same was under the sink alcove, but that was okay.

I'm sure it could be re-done, but your border would have to be wider or narrower.
    casey

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I'm assuming the tiles have been thin-set in already? Not just cut and dry-laid?

If they've been dry-laid only, removing the Thassos-only stripe along the left side of the top two pictures, scooting the Ming border over accordingly, then re-centering the whole thing on the floor and recutting the side pieces would work. Or adding a mini-column of Ming dots and Thassos pieces and shortening the blank Thassos pieces on the long wall. A PITA certainly, but arguably what should have been done.

But if it's been thin-set down already, that's certainly unworkable.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Unless you can find some way to fudge the right margin (ik.e. if some of the green border is covered), I'm not sure there *is* a way to make it work out differently.

As I explained to applepie61 in an email, there is, but it would entail taking up the entire floor and starting over, with a half mosaic piece against the left side ming green border. That way, it would work out to a half piece on the right, as well, and the border pieces of thassos would remain constant. Short of that, though, it's a matter of deciding which you want to be a little off "balance"-- the field, or the border. Mongo brings up a good point though-- with the vanity toe kick there, it would provide an excellent "fudge factor" opportunity for the size of the border, and pulling up the ming green stripe and moving it over so as to put a full piece of mosaic thassos inside the border would be the best of all the "evils".

Right now, as I explained in the email, would be the time to do it, too-- before the right side border goes in, and before everything gets grouted.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Hm, Bill...you mean cutting halves of the little green pieces? I wonder what I think about that...might that not look too spotty? At least this way there are whole units on either side, even if it's not the same. If the vanity is there, though, the problem would be solved IF the installer doesn't mind doing the right side over again. I wonder what he'll think...I know you and mongo would never run into this because you'd have thought it all out ahead of time, but think of the average --well, above average, it seems -- installer...what will he think after using all those levels and working so hard to make the installation otherwise so well-done?

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

No, I mean cutting halves of the little WHITE pieces, just INSIDE the green pieces. See how on the left side, the mosaics are full 1x2's up against the ming green stripe? cut that down so it's a 1/2"x2", and then you'll end up with the same thing on the other side.

Quite honestly, I think Mongo's idea of pulling up the ming green stripe on the right, and just adding the full white pieces to match the left would be the best of all "evils".

• applepie61
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Guys~

Thank you all for your support and input. Regarding the vanity (Mongo & Bill pointed this out) there is a toe kick which will have a scalloped face applied after the floor is complete. As Bill pointed out - we can put the fudge factor in the white border where the toe kick is instead of on the basketweave. I think that would sit better with me than fudging the basketweave. As always, live and learn...the hard way!

We're meeting with the tile man and GC tomorrow morning to discuss our options. One thing I know for certain, I have visual OCD and it doesn't mix well with construction. I am going to be really happy when this is all over!

Apple

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Well, that's great, then. I wouldn't be too shocked if they ask for more $$ to redo it, though. It's worth it to make sure they're happy while they're doing it. Good luck :)

• applepie61
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The floor was fixed today and it looks perfect!!! I'll post pictures tomorrow after they grout - but I am so so so happy right now. It looks amazing! Thank you all for the advice and support:)

Apple

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

SWEET!!

• applepie61
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Bill:)

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Well, that's nice! Can't wait to see the pics. can you take some before the vanity is put in?

• loves2read
    14 years ago

interested as to any other charges that they might have wanted to take it up and relay correctly--or at least as you wanted it done--

• applepie61
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As promised, here are pictures of the final floor (with adjustment) which was grouted yesterday. I am so thrilled with how it came out. There will be a piece of scalloped wood applied to the base of the cabinet where the toe kick is to dress-up the vanity - it will also hide some of the extra white border on the right side and make the 2 sides appear more symetrical. Where the vanity pops out there will also be a column on the left and the right.

Thanks again for all of the support and input!

Apple

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

MUCH better!!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

That doesn't look like a redo at all. It looks *right*, like it should have been spaced that way all along.

*contented sigh* :)

• applepie61
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Bill & Flyleft! It was a bumpy road - but the end result is better than I ever imagined:)

• jewelldday
    14 years ago

I absolutley love your tile choices! Could you please tell me what you used on your floor, shower floor and walls. I have been looking at tile for what seems like forever and was leaning towards a pinwheel. Yours is much prettier. Thanks!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Hey, I have a question that I've been wondering about: how was the contractor when you asked him to redo it? How did it play out?

• applepie61
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jewelldday: Thank you so much - I'm so happy with the end result. The tile is from Ann Sacks Tile. On the floor is the white thassos w/ming green basketweave, ming green mini-bricks & white thassos on the perimeter. On the walls in the shower is white thassos 6 x 12 & a thassos & ming green mosaic liner called Agape. Another company I liked was Akdo Tile - they have lot's of great stone mosaics too. Goodluck and post some pictures when you can!

Flyleft: My tile contractor was pleasant but not thrilled. He screwed up my subway tile backsplash in the kitchen and I think maybe he was feeling bad about that - not sure (posted a thread about that topic on the kitchen forum). It was a big relief when it was grouted and done:)

• jewelldday
    14 years ago

applepie..thanks for the information. Is your shower floor the thassos marble as well? It looks like maybe 3x3's? Thanks for your time and the tile company suggestions!

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Woohoo!

It's nice when things get fixed. It's especially nice when the fix is as easy as that one.

Symmetrically, MongognoM

• applepie61
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jewelldday: Those are 4 x 4 which were cut down from a 12 x 12 (Ann Sacks didn't have 4 x 4's). Regarding the floor in the shower, I wish it was set on point (diagonal) but my tile guy didn't get that memo and honestly - he had enough on his plate to deal with:)

Mongo: Thanks Mongo! I am so thankful the floors are symmetrical...now on to my backsplash which might push me over the edge. The tile guy came by yesterday to replace the wonky tiles on my subway backsplash, and honestly you can't even tell he did anything. Calgon take me away!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I won't say I toldja so. That whole thing has to come out and be redone.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Oy...I read your kitchen saga. I'm glad at least this thhing worked out.

WTH happened with that backsplash? Did he not leave groutlines or something and just smashed them up against each other?

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Fly-- they're supposed to be "mashed" up against each other. They have nubs on the sides that space them 1/16". However, they're also supposed to be FLAT.