Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lillo_gw

Refinishing calacata marble floor

lillo
10 years ago

My new marble floor is scratched , has three dents , and the first coat of sealant that was applied 3 months ago was badly applied so it's all smeared .
This is all the make of the workers , I haven't used my bathroom yet .
I got a professional polishing company that said they will buff it and then repolish it , and then fill the dents . I am scared that this process will remove some of the thickness of the marble and will make it more fragile to future breaking or denting .
Any suggestions ???

Comments (15)

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Why didn't they protect the floor after install with some masonite? Every marble owner should have the opportunity for them to produce their own scratches, etches, and dings. Yes, removing material is what polishing does. It abrades the surface with a series of material removal. If a professional does it, you shouldn't remove but a very thin bit of the surface. How deep are the scratches? That's how deep the floor will have to be sanded to remove those scratches. If they are deep, then it may be more advisable to replace rather than try to repair. Be sure you can actually live with marble's nature though, as what happened to your floor will happen with hard use by you.

• sparklebread
    10 years ago

I can relate! We had a similar issue with our masterbath remodel and I felt exactly like Green Designs said, that was OUR marble to scratch, not the contractors! Our plumbing crew pushed the clawfoot toward the wall two inches which left claw marks across the floor and they pushed the toilet leaving marks as well. I was sick. We wanted to have the tile pulled, but marble is fragile, so we allowed them to have the floors polished as a first option of repair. Worked wonderfully. Through normal use, the floor does show light scratching and a few etch spots, but I don't worry about it.

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Greendesigns and sparklebread for your feedbacks . Yes, unfortunately these so called contractors are careless and negligent and we the owners have to pay money and suffer the consequences of their acts . The dents are deep , the scratches were done when cleaning the floor with the shop vac hose without putting the brush, so hopefully not so deep . I was advised to replace the tiles that are dented versus filling the dents . I don't know which way to go . I don't want a lot of headache so I am leaning towards filling them .
    So as I understand from you , this process will not make my marble more fragile and prone to easier breaking or denting in the future . This was my main concern.

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

Hello Lillo
    Regarding your floor-you will have to maintain the floor over the years by using the services of a stone refinisher(Bona Fide). He or She using progressive grits of diamond abrasives , water(there isn't any dust) and polishing or honing mediums can refinish your stone to factory finish or better.
    Think of stone refinishing being comparable to wood refinishing. Its basically the same process only stone refinishers use diamond blades and water. It will make your floor look as good or better than new.
    Stone refinishers are called in to new installations and renovations often to address post construction clean-ups , surface damage caused by improperly covered floors and jobsite related issues(such as yours). So if you hire an experienced crew you will be in good hands. They will mask and protect your home well. They will not have to be told to wear booties. They will respect your home the way you do!
    The scratches can be removed during this process.
    The amount of stone removed averages about 1/64 of an inch so your floors will be fine. As far as the dents white carrara is a soft stone so an object dropped can cause a "stun mark". The impact causes the crystals in the stone to explode leaving a permanent mark.
    You will see a dent along with a solid white spot or shape.
    Does that sound like your dents or are they actual holes or chips.?
    You can google it for a detailed definition.
    It can be drilled out and repaired but matching white stone is difficult and the repair results will be a crapshoot.
    Better to replace with extra pieces of same stock.
    If you like please feel free to send some pics to me or post them. I hope this info was helpful to you.

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

My Mistake I mentioned carrara sorry-I meant to say calacatta!

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you srosen for your feedback , what I have are actual holes and chips . I also noticed cracks in at least 5 of them . I am wondering what will happen to the cracks with the refinishing process ? I will try to post pictures tomorrow morning . Thank you again

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

Cracks as well-if you can send or post pictures it would be my pleasure to respond.
    Cracks must be filled or repaired prior to refinishing-however the reason why there is cracking is very important.
    The issues that have caused the cracking must be corrected. Are your grout joints very narrow?
    Is there unevenness on the floor(lippage)?
    if you tap around with your knuckle in the area of the cracks do you hear a hollow spot.
    If an installer cant apply sealant properly it generally tells me he isn't a stone installer.
    A new installation with cracks doesn't sound promising.
    Are the cracks on single tiles are does it run across a section.
    As far as chips and holes because the callacatta can have a varied veining structure the repairs can be made to look natural or hidden.(in many cases)

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The cracks are from objects that they dropped on the marble . Every now and then I would hear something hitting the floor . They are mostly on the edges of the marble . I am sorry I got so busy today , I couldn't take the pictures . I will definitely do that tomorrow morning . Thank you so much srosen for your help .

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The cracks are from objects that they dropped on the marble . Every now and then I would hear something hitting the floor . They are mostly on the edges of the marble . I am sorry I got so busy today , I couldn't take the pictures . I will definitely do that tomorrow morning . Thank you so much srosen for your help .

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I included the picture of one of the cracks .

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another picture of the dents.

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

The little bit of the floor I see looks nice-are the grout joints uniform .
    Was unsanded grout used?
    I think that if you can find the right stone refinisher he or she will be able to make your stone look pretty good.
    Its important to check the floor for voids or hollow spots as that could be why the stone is cracking.
    If there are voids they should be filled.
    We drill into the tile with a small bit and then pump an adhesive thru a pin(like what you use to fill your football with). Then we seal up the whole making it look like a gray spot. Sometimes we drill thru the grout line and pump-then replace the grout. I think the little divots I see can be fixed as well.

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes srosen , it used to look nice and shiny . The grout lines are pretty much uniform, and he used unsanded grout . I am scared that these hair like cracks would get bigger or deeper during the refinishing process .

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

Yes that could be a concern but the stone refinisher must fill the hairline cracks first with a very thin adhesive which will penetrate the stone and hold it together -it is very strong. As a marble owner you will need to refinish your stone at some point again in the future.
    After all we maintain our carpets ,window dressings, upholstery, dry cleaning, cars, lawns, paint and they are all professionally serviced.
    Time to add marble to the list.
    Make sure you hire a bona fide stone refinisher with references and you will be in the best of hands.

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you srosen for all your help . I hope I can find a good company that can do the job right this time . I am crossing my fingers a saying a little prayer .