Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ideas for high traffic indestructible floor that looks good

Posted by mommabird (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 22:34

My 1st floor bath is the main one for the house. I have 3 teen sons so it gets a lot if hard use. The vinyl floor is about 30 years old and needs replaced.

I want something that looks good and is indestructible, easy to clean and won't absorb spills, and I can install myself.

I keep comin back to new vinyl to fit all those criteria. But yuck - I really want something different

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ideas for high traffic indestructible floor that looks g

I think sheet vinyl is your best option. Get a commercial grade. Pricey, but I've had it in my mudroom/laundry room for 25+ years and it still looks great. All of my other floors have been replaced. Doesn't look dated either. Actually looks very modern.

o

There are some nice looking sheet vinyls.
We have one in our kitchen and people mistake it for tile frequently.

o

I have a cushioned sheet vinyl floor in my craft room and I love it...very easy to clean, easy under foot, not noisy at all and fairly warm under foot.

o

Porcelain rectified tile installed with vey narrow grout lines. The 2 I've used are rated for commercial applications, so very durable. I spilled a can of paint in one of the rooms and was able to easily wipe/mop it all up with some towels - no damage to the tile at all.

o

Porcelain tile is the only material that I can even think of that would fit the description. Sheet vinyl certainly can be tough, but it is by no means "indestructible".

o

I would agree with chispa and GreenDesigns that I would consider large porcelain tiles with narrow grout lines to be the least destructible flooring material. I've installed porcelain tile myself and it's certainly doable. I would opt for a mid or darker color like dark gray or charcoal or a darker beige. I would choose a darker grout color and seal it.

o

Thank you all. I had a talk today with a friend who fixes up old houses and sells them. He sided with the porcelain tile crowd. He suggested 18" or 24" tiles because there are less grout lines, narrow gap for grout, and dark grout. I saw a show on TV recently where the man laying tile mixed the grout 1/4 water and 3/4 sealer. That way the grout is sealed all the way through and sealed permanently. My friend also said he'd would help me do the tile - he suggested laying them on a diagonal since my bathroom is small. He said it would give an illusion of more space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here