Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayjay_teacher

Small Master Bath Reveal

jayjay_teacher
9 years ago

Finally rid of the 1965 avocado green tile! I am pleased with the way everthing turned out. There was not much room to work with, but my cabinet maker did a great job getting me some storage. The towers and the cabinet behind the door are inset between the studs. I kept the original cast iron tub, and the toilet was not very old so we kept it, too. I have since added a Brondell Swash 1000. Thanks to everyone for all of the ideas that I received on this site.

Before

After

Comments (21)

• jgopp
    9 years ago

Nice update! If I could suggest one thing though....maybe you should paint the backside of the door white to match the rest of it. I think I have the same faucet!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Great use of wall-space! Tile on the tub surround looks nice!

• bergiesgirl
    9 years ago

very nice update, looks so fresh. Can you tell the details on your tub spout, I am looking for a similar style.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Is the closet behind the door recessed or is it as slim as it appears? Love your countertop material!

• jayjay_teacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the positive comments. jgopp all of the doors in the house were this color with painted woodwork. This must have been the style in 1965. I am wanting to change them all as soon as I can get my husband to agree. There are seven doors off the small hallway.

BergiesGirl, the spout is American Standard Jasmine. I changed out the original about 5 years ago when we remodeled the kitchen.

Jewel654, the cabinet and the towers are recessed. The cabinet extends about two inches into the room. With the door open, you do not even see the cabinet. It is not deep enough for towels, but it will hold a lot of things. I am keeping extra shampoo, soap, toilet paper, etc. The shelves measures 5 inches deep. The tower shelves measure 7 inches deep. This has given me much more storage than I had.

Here are the details for the bath.

Subway tile is the 22 cent white subway from Lowes.
    Accent tile--Sonoma Tilemakers Vihara Minka iridescent .5 x .5 inch square
    Counter top--Hanstone Swan Cotton Quartz
    Sink--Kohler Ladena
    Faucet--Kinston Brass Heritage
    Vanity light--Canarm Barkley
    Floor--Permastone Modern Slate Bisque grout filled vinyl tile
    Washlet--Brondell Swash 1000

Total remodel cost was approximately $8,000.

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

Very nice job! Kudos to both you and your cabinet maker. I especially love the accent tile.

• loves2read
    9 years ago

Did you keep the existing toilet? What make/style is it?
    Did you have any problem with getting the mosaic tile and white tile even?
    what grout did you use?

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

Very nice job! Kudos to both you and your cabinet maker. I especially love the accent tile.

• jayjay_teacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Loves2read, we had to get a new toilet about 5 years ago. It is a Kohler cimarron comfort height round bowl. It came from Lowes. I can't tell you about the tile. I just told the tile layers that I wanted white grout. They told me they would have to build up behind the glass to make it even with the subway tile. They did not mention any problems with it.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Very nice. I love what you did with it, esp. the tub/shower tile and the accent band. Don't you love the curved shower rod? My bathroom is about the same size as yours. You did very well for keeping expenses down.

• debbie1031
    9 years ago

How do you like the grouted vinyl tile? We have to replace dated tile in our foyer and half bath and know form experience that winter snow and wet boots can be pretty hazardous and are just plain hard and cold, so we are considering this. Does it feel warmer to you? Great job on the whole thing, btw! Similar to what I'm considering for our kids' bath of a similar size.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Perfect for doing what you have to do in there. Enjoy.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Love the white vanity and countertop! Seems like you got a lot for your budget.

• jayjay_teacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Debbie1031, so far I like the vinyl tile. I knew I did not want ceramic tile. I have trouble with my feet and legs and I wanted something softer. This is warmer and softer. My big decision was whether to get the grout less or the grout fill. I chose the grout fill so that I could choose the grout color. We have the grout less in our church and it has held up very well.

Linelle, I mostly take baths but my kids take showers and they like the curved rod. I chose this for when they come visit.

• razamatazzy
    9 years ago

what a difference. What a great idea for the added storage.

Love the shower curtain, where did you get it ?

• debbie1031
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply jayjay!

• jayjay_teacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Razmatazzy, the shower curtain is a Julius shower curtain from Kohls.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Very nice! I love the extra storage you created. I might have to do something similar when I do my tiny master bath :)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Great job. Now you have a bathroom with PIZZAZ! What a cool idea to do the cabinets partially recessed between the studs. More storage space is always good to have. We put a vinyl laminate floor in our guest bathroom and I agree with you that it is warmer and easier on the feet.

-Babka

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Very pretty!

I especially like the recessed cabinets.

• jayjay_teacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, writersblock!

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company