Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sancthuary

Wetroom Bathroom

Sancthuary
9 years ago

Hi,

I have a closet near my foyer that I don't use and I was thinking of converting it into a wetroom bathroom using Schluter/Kerdi system and drain. It would be a great to have the option of another shower (I only have 1 bathroom) but the space is too small to make a separate shower. I was thinking of something like this picture. If I go through with this I got to find a way to store things like toilet paper in the room and how do I deal with the electricals to make it safe. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• lee676
    9 years ago

Setups like that are common in recreational vehicles and boats, so it must be technically possible, though I don't know if some sort of plumbing or electrical codes don't allow similar installations in residences.

• Sancthuary
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was my friend's boat that gave me the idea for it! Maybe I need to go to a marine supply shop LOL! :-)

• emma
    9 years ago

I would never put in anything like that. I dry everything when I finish my shower, so I don't have to clean it later. Think of mold and soap build up, using the bathroom after a shower or doing your hair or make up. How long would it take to dry out. Your bathroom is not sealed for something like that.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

It can be done, but is anyone going to be comfortable taking a shower in that location in your house? Think about what you do after a shower - you step out and dry yourself off. Then you put on clothes. Do you want to be doing this in your foyer?

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

In a small space like that, use a wall mounted sink and a wall mounted toilet to keep the floor open. If you can do a corner sink and toilet, it helps with space management even more.

For electrical, it is a "shower". Regardless of the shower water being on or off, because it's a shower, it has to comply with electrical requirements for a shower in a residence. So electrical outlets will be restricted. Switches for the lights and fan can be put outside the room, or you might be able to use air switches inside the room.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

It gives me the heeby-jeebies. Wet toilet seat? Next to the foyer? Where does the towel go? Your clothes? Just a toilet + sink will solve most problems.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Is the closet big enough? You will need it to be 36" or slightly deeper to get the toilet centered on a 30" or 36" dimension with some usually allowable overlap on the knee room area with the sink. And width wise you will need 22" for a wall-hung toilet with a tank in between the studs and 21" minimum space in front for 43".

Most closets aren't deep enough front to back to do this.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Hi, we put one of these in a few years ago for a customer at her special request. The permitting was a bit complicated to explain to the inspectors. We partitioned off the shower zone from _da terlit_ with a half wall. The old brick exterior walls were covered with a waterproof stucco product called Izonil. The floor and partition walls were kerdi-fied.
    I thought it was pretty cool all in all.
    Casey

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

There is a house on my block that is a late 18th century double trinity with very steep winding stairs. When the husband became disabled they created a bathroom like this on the first floor, but they also created a way that a pair of doors that normally closed over closets could be opened to also create a dressing area outside this bathroom by sectioning off part of the room. There was a floor bolt that held the one door in place and the other was operational.

So, even though he was taking shower adjacent to the living room, it could be divided off. It's an unusual solution, but for that couple the other alternative was to move.

I don't know that I would do what you are suggesting unless there was no other shower or bath on the first floor. Then it may make sense, if done well. You don't have to use it a lot as a shower, but it may be helpful under certain circumstances.

• lee676
    9 years ago

> For electrical, it is a "shower". Regardless of the shower water being on or off, because it's a shower, it has to comply with electrical requirements for a shower in a residence. So electrical outlets will be restricted. Switches for the lights and fan can be put outside the room, or you might be able to use air switches inside the room.

The wetrooms I've seen usually have the light switch outside the door, but Hubbell makes (or used to make) a switch that was rated for use in showers and wet areas - a push switch completely enclosed in rubber.

The last cruise ship I was on had a single-piece molded bathroom module that encompassed the floor, walls, shower, cabinet/shelves, and sink. I think only the toilet was a separate fixture. The whole thing fit in about a 4' square area, or less. The shower did get its own area, about 20" x 24" with a curtain, and a slight ledge in the floor helping keep the water in. I wonder if these could be used for homes as well.

• Sancthuary
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Guys,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm still on the fence but I appreciate your opinions. I think my wife will probably make the decisive vote LOL! :-)