Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roryspowers

Toilet Raised on Board

roryspowers
10 years ago

In my bathroom, the toilet and tiling are new. However, the toilet is sitting on a board (oddly). Actually it looks like a formica cupboard door. I havent removed the toilet yet to investigate but has anyone run into this odd, and probably lazy, way of installation

Comments (8)

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

It looks like someone could've raised the toilet for physical reasons - rather than use a raised potty seat (which seem gross) or a toilet that is built "tall", they lifted the thing and put the board underneath. I assume that the toilet works properly, so they must've cut the hole in the board for drain purposes.

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

Could be a flange interference issue too because of the recent remodel.

ie, if your house is older, you might have a cast iron waste pipe. If the new floor is "thinner" than the old, the old flange, if not modified, would then stick up a bit above the new thinner floor.

Since CI can be tough to modify (especially for DIY) then they might have just used that mini-platform to "thicken" the floor.

I would have thought they would at least center the board under the toilet.

If the flange is at the correct height and they simply raised the toilet for comfort, hopefully they used a waxless seal, or a properly sized ring so the toilet has a proper seal.

If they simply stacked a couple of wax rings, be on the lookout for leaks, especially after plunging to remove a clog. Nothing to worry about, but something to simply be aware of.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Mongoct states:

I would have thought they would at least center the board under the toilet.

LOL

• lee676
    10 years ago

Wouldn't have been so noticeable if they'd just sawed off the exposed portions that protrude from the base rather than left it square, then painted it white or used a thick caulk bead or something.

• roryspowers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the comments. I should have figured out how to post the pic rotated.
    Im taking it out tomorrow. Ill let you know.

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

I should have figured out how to post the pic rotated.

No worries. We see sideways and upside-down photos all the time. The collective genius of the posters on this forum is quite apparent by the fact that no one asked why they installed your toilet on the wall. lol

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Mongoct- ;-D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good one!

-Babka

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Ewwwwwww ... I'd remove that thing and replace it with a proper installation.

Someone didn't know how to use the various height adapters you can buy for toilets. Search for "toilet flange extender kit"

One of mine was shimmed up on the carpet tack strip with multiple wax rings taking up the gap and wobbling. It's all better now, with the regulation anchor ring and only one wax seal.