Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any reason not to use this tile on my shower floor?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 22:08

I'm rethinking using marble on our master shower floor after the headache the first time around. This appears like marble in the photo, but the sample I purchased is a solid color black, no white veining. Anyway, is there anything about the material of this tile or its thickness that should concern me for a shower floor? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any reason not to use this tile on my shower floor?

Where is the photo?

o

What kind of tile is it?

o

https://store.missionstonetile.com/Glazed-Porcelain-2-Hexagon-Mosaics-Black-p/ufcc103-12m-.htm

o

I have the white color of that tile on my shower floor. I got it from the Tile Shop . The tile man was not happy when laying it because it's thin for the cuts , but it turned out fine . I haven't used it yet to tell you how solid it is over time , but the tile man said that since its layed well that will not be a concern .

o

Ok. Yes, it is much thinner than our stone hex flooring in other areas, but I can't seem to find a thicker glazed porcelain hex. Any ideas?

o

Threeapples,

Before the tiler installed our Carrera marble hex mosaic shower floor, I printed off your entire saga of that original thread for him to read. I was so worried that it might happen to us, too. It was over 20 pages, I think!

Anyway, he said he has done hundreds of light marble shower floors and it would be fine. It IS fine. No darkening like you and others have had. There IS a way to do this 100% correctly so that there won't be any water under there. One thing--he didn't seal-maybe that helps?

I wouldn't want you to use a dark porcelain if what you want is the white marble. Mightn't it be wet under the porcelain, too, but you would see it? I don't know--this whole business is so confusing, as you well know by now.

What I'm TRYING to say is, find someone who has done many successful showers like what you want. Look on Houzz for your area then ask the builder/designer who did the tile then call them up. ??? Ask your local tile shops who sell this material to recommend the BEST installer they know of. You CAN get it done correctly.

Good luck to you!

o

I think the key is not in the material but in the way the shower floor is water proofed and laid . I remember the tile man installed the pan and water proofed it well with the orange membrane of the schluter system . After laying the floor tile he kept on pressing on it several to times all over to keep it all sloping towards the drain in the middle . Good luck finding somebody who can do a good job .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here