Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixkeys

Where to put robe hooks?

sixkeys
9 years ago

I am planning on using hooks intead of towel bars for the kids bathroom (2 kids). The bathroom is separated into two areas by a pocket door - sink area and toilet/shower area.

I was definitely thinking of putting a hook right next to the shower for use when someone is taking a bath or shower.

My question is where to put the hooks for them to hang their towels?

I only need two hooks, so I could do two in the sink area. Or I could do three for symmetry (one would end up behind the door where I have a 1/2" clearance).

Or I could put 2 in the bathing area, but it would get a little crowded with the spot I thought the shower hook would go.

The vertical blue tape is where the edge of the door ends when you open it all the way.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Comments (12)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

So easy to decide. Get some of the large Command Hooks (3M) which you can put on your painted wall w/o damage when they are removed. Then IF you are happy with the location, drill and install permanent ones. Everything looks to be brand new in your photos, so make sure the paint has "cured" before you go sticking up the hooks.

-Babka

• loves2read
    9 years ago

For what it's worth--you will want to have a towel close to hand when getting out of the shower--not just hanging in the room before they get in...
    What space do you have around the shower itself?
    In our master bath and guest bath downstairs we added robe hooks on the surround of the shower stall--used anchored towel/robe hooks in ORB to match fixtures--
    that way the towel is right there going in/out of the shower

Other two bathrooms have towel bars more convenient as well as toilet lid that towels can be laid on for easy access...

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Let them pick one from the many boxes on the floor. :) Why so far away to have naked dripping bodies get to them? I see plenty of room for simple hooks by the tub. A bar or hooks, any bets the towels will be on the floor?

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all. I am planning on putting a hook right next to the shower for someone to use while in the shower/bath. I need two more hooks for them to use for hanging the towels to dry.

PS I know that one of the kids will definitely use their hook, the other one needs some reminding. Can't hurt to aim for success! :)

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

One hook for dry towel, the same hook for wet towel(???) 2 kids, 2 hooks. Have to laugh at the "aim for success". Like, in potty training (if boys?).

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

This is just my opinion but drying a towel on a hook has never been successful for me. We dry our spa towels on hooks and I never feel that they dry out fast enough. imo, a shower bar is much better for quickly drying and having fresher towels.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Agree with jerzeegirl, especially in our neck of the woods.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I live in a relatively dry climate and I still want my towels to dry on a bar. They stay fresh smelling until laundry time. I plan on adding a hook not for everyday use, but just to be available to keep waiting clothes or an extra towel off the floor or toilet seat.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been using the hook method for a long time, and I haven't had a problem with drying towels/keeping them fresh. I appreciate the different perspective though!

• salonv
    9 years ago

I too have done the hooks on the back of the bathroom door... they dry fine.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

My towels dry just fine on hooks. I use some cute micro dot towels from JCpenny. They are just the right thickness for us and dry quickly.
    I would put two hooks on the wall next to the tub and each boy would be assigned a different color towel. ):
    If you have 24 to 36 inches of wall space, you have room for two hooks. I put a rubber tip on the hook and towels definitely stay in place.