Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgedid_gw

dreamline shower door question

mgedid
9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm hoping to figure out which hinged glass shower door to buy for a 57" opening. The opening has about 1" out of plumb adjustment possibility on it, and my shower door opening is very close to 57" at the top and the bottom. Question is, do I buy the 56-57" or the 57" to ensure that the door and the stationery piece fit into the opening?

Anyone who has installed a dreamline hinge door, in particular, please weigh in with your experiences.

Many thanks,

Meg

Comments (3)

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

1) You might get more reliable answers if you mention which Dreamline model are you considering.

2) When I was choosing my own Dreamline doors (one of their sliding door models), I, too, was debating which size kit to buy because my opening was right on the borderline between two sizes. I talked with their tech support people and found them to be helpful in selecting the one that was best for my dimensions: 866-731-8378

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Any difference in size will just show up in the amount of overlap @ the vertical centerline. Even if your dimensions are equal at top & bottom, your jambs could be considerably out of plumb, so rely on your level to determine if things are plumb - or at least take accurate diagonal dimensions to make the determination.

Either the 57 or 56-57 would be appropriate. Most shower door manufacturers (all, that we deal with) will determine for you what is appropriate and if/where jamb tapers are needed. Usually we insist on using tapers for anything more than 1/4" out of plumb, regardless of door ht.

Is your door coming from a BB store, glass company, an entity that specializes in shower enclosure installs? I'm not familiar with Dreamline doors, but usually BB stores are more focused on the price point than durability, which often equates to the difference between a 5-year door vs a 25-year door.

Who's doing the install?

Al

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

tapla-
    Dreamline is a company that has a large selection of well-engineered, quality shower doors and enclosures, and they ship directly to your house. They have a variety of designs and door mechanisms. The designs are very clean and simple and don't use jamb tapers; some designs are adjustable for out-of-plumb, and some aren't. (I don't represent them in any way; I'm just familiar with their product lines as I researched them pretty extensively before I purchased a sliding door package from them.)

I agree, though that the OP should check the plumb of the threshold and the two sides. I doubt that even with a badly done opening it's anywhere near being 1" out of plumb.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dreamline