Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bashful47

Toilet Recommendations

bashful47
9 years ago

I am a California resident (DROUGHT WORRIES)requesting your assistance in trying to decide on the best toilet to purchase for a bathroom remodel. California currently requires all toilets to be 1.28gpf efficient. My plumber states that TOTO is the way to go--claims he has few service calls on TOTO toilets. My bathroom/kitchen appliance consultant states that American Standard products are now state of the art and many plumbers are not current on all the upgrades that have been made. He referred me to this website (http://www.allianceforwaterefficiency.org) which delineate the best MAP figures. I am so confused. I am looking for a one piece,skirted toilet with good 'WHOOSH" (flush) power. Your feedback is appreciated.

Comments (10)

• lee676
    9 years ago

I have the 1.28gpf Toto Drake 2 and it flushes very well; it uses two large outlets to send lots of water swirling down the sides rather than the usual tiny holes around the rim. I would have liked a larger area covered by water, but this area is never very big on a 1.28gpf. The Drake II is 2-piece and not skirted, but both those features are on the Carlyse II model that's otherwise the same. Toto has several others with the same basic flush setup but different styling.

Have never seen the AS installed so can't compare them.

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

Also a CA resident, I can recommend Caroma dual flush toilets. We used them a lot on a visit to Australia (where they're made) nearly 15 years ago and thought, "Why don't we have these at home?" About 7 years ago (?) we installed them in both our bathrooms and haven't regretted it for a moment. Caroma is even more widely available now than it was just a few years ago.

Toto also comes highly recommended. If you do a search on here, you'll find lots of feedback on the various models and sani-gloss vs no sani-gloss, etc. I also remember reading a while back about a particular American Standard model which people liked a lot. I believe the American Standard was the best priced, which is a bonus.

If you haven't considered it yet, I also recommend "comfort height." I had no clue when we bought those toilets what that meant. It just means that they sit higher than standard toilets. It's high enough to make getting up and down less of an athletic event, but not so high that our 5 year old grandson has any trouble using it. Now I'm totally spoiled.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caroma toilet models

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I just got my Toto Aquia, which is a two piece with a skirt. I definitely wanted a Toto and itI was one of the only ones with a true 10" rough in. I just love it! The Toto flush is really something to write home about. Only regret is that I didn't get it sooner!

• jackfre
    9 years ago

I'm a plumber. I'm no longer in the business. I have used Toto's in my home and am happy with them. I love the Washlet toilet seat too. As your designer says, plumbers may not be up on the latest. I find that Toto has a good selection of skirted models. I do not understand why anything but skirted models are made. So much easier to clean.

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

LOL, Jackfre! I figure the people who design those toilet outsides are not the ones who have to clean them.

• roof35
    9 years ago

If you have more than one toilet in the home, careful on choosing the model. Toto and AS have the quick flush, which can siphon water right out of the bowl and trap of another toilet downstream or especially back to back toilets.

I looked this up only after installing an AS quick flush. I have back to back toilets, and it happened to me. Long story short, there are bulletins out by each manufacturer, but not in the installation instructions!

In my case, I had to use a different sanitary tee to correct the problem.

• roof35
    9 years ago

Duplicate deleted

This post was edited by Roof35 on Fri, Oct 31, 14 at 16:46

• adawn5
    9 years ago

I have a Toto Aquia 1.6 GPF (10 inch rough in). Looks beautiful and I've been unable to clog so far. Occasionally requires an extra flush for "skid marks".

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

Ranton, you may want to try this contraption before changing out the toilet seat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squatty Potty