Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type bathtub am I looking for?

Posted by lisadlu (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 21:28

I am replacing an all in one bathtub/wall surround with a new tub and will be tiling the walls surrounding it. The tub is not in an alcove and the rear of the tub has no hard wall (the tub is only surrounded by 2 hard walls, one on the faucet side and then the length of the tub). Since I am tiling do I need a tub with a flange just on the two sides where the hard walls are? If so, what terminology am I looking for? I've looked on Home Depot and Lowes websites but not sure I am looking for the right thing. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type bathtub am I looking for?

One thing you could do is build a pony wall at the other end, creating an alcove. Otherwise I think you would need a corner tub. What material are you thinking of? You could tile the walls to the floor and have a free standing tub. If you plan to have the tub against the walls you will need a tile flange on your tub. You could check the different manufacture web sites. Like Kohler, Toto, etc.

Is this tub going to have a shower too?

o

I haven't seen a 2 wall tub available for a reasonable price. Plus, you will still need that awkward two sided shower rod and 2 curtains. If you build the 3rd wall, you can use a standard alcove tub for a tub/shower installation. Those are fairly cheap, even for good quality. You can also just use a standard shower rod and curtain then. Any time you are able to use "standard" off the shelf products, you can save tons of money over custom or specialty products.

o

Is this a shower/tub combo, or just a tub? It makes a big difference if you will be putting in a shower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here