Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robandkathleen

Kohler Product - Difference btwn Home Depot and Ferguson

robandkathleen
9 years ago

I plan to purchase Kohler products for my bathroom. Why is the Home Depot price so much less than the Ferguson price? Is the quality less? If so, how?

Comments (10)

• jrueter
    9 years ago

I didn't find the prices to be very different, in fact with my contractor's pricing Ferguson was comparable with the internet sites. I also have gotten great service and support if anything goes wrong through Ferguson.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Compare the model numbers/manufacturer's numbers. If they are EXACTLY the same, they're the same quality. If they're slightly different, then the HD model was made for HD by Kohler with cheaper materials.

• julieste
    9 years ago

We have a Kohler Store where I live, and I asked that exact same question when I was there yesterday. Here is what the saleswoman told me, but remember this is a salesperson trying to make a living. So take this for what it is worth.

According to her, by buying from The Kohler Store I get Kohler's full lifetime warranty vs a third party vendor's warranty. (Home Depot, efaucets etc. are considered third party vendors. I don't know how Ferguson's fits in). I got kind of a fuzzy answer when I queried her how in the world If Kohler's warranty states one thing it could be different depending on the place it is purchased.

As far as quality, here is what she told me. Places like Home Depot order certain items at certain price points (rather than carrying the entire Kohler line), and I have seen some items that say they are Kohler products made exclusively for Home Depot. So, for faucets, everything that is sold in The Kohler Store is fully made from brass, whereas certain faucet parts of some Kohler products purchased from HD are made of plastic.

I can understand the difference in quality level between a faucet that is exclusively made for HD, but I can't believe that this is the case if HD orders you the exact same model number faucet that is also sold in The Kohler Store. However, since I can get a pretty good price directly from the Kohler Store (store offers 25% of the MSRP) and I know exactly what I am getting there, I am buying from them.

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I ordered a Kohler (Memoirs Stately 2 piece) toilet yesterday from Faucet Direct. The Home Depot price was $319 (although if I bought the 2 pieces separately, the price was exactly the same as Faucet Direct, but I would have to add sales tax). The Faucet Direct price was $271 (then I had a discount, so $266.31 out the door with free shipping). It is out for delivery today and the UPS tracking info says both pieces are from Ferguson. The price on Ferguson directly was $323.79 + $65 for shipping + tax, which brought my total to $408.22. Anyway, I didn't "buy" from Ferguson, but my order was shipped by Ferguson. These items appear to be the same model numbers at each place. The warranty on a toilet appears to be one year.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Good deal Deb. I bought my Delta Addison faucet from Faucet Direct. EVERY place on-line as well as the big box stores had the same price. But no tax with Faucet direct, free shipping and they have an excellent rating. Got it in record time, packaged good but I don't recall seeing that it was shipped from Ferguson.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"So, for faucets, everything that is sold in The Kohler Store is fully made from brass, whereas certain faucet parts of some Kohler products purchased from HD are made of plastic."

Not necessarily brass, some specify "metal" construction, and according to Kohler, that does not mean brass. In fact, Kohler had a video on their site where they were describing a faucet as being "all brass" construction, yet the specs said "metal construction." When I inquired about it, they confirmed that it was not brass and said the video would be removed. If things like all brass construction are important to you, check the specs carefully using the exact model number (including any letters) you intend to purchase.

• Chris Caldwell
    3 years ago

Ferguson's support has been non-existent, even when they ordered the wrong model. (selected was discontinued, they 'picked one' of the new models without even asking and it's not the most similar new model)

• B Z
    3 years ago

That takes the cake. Service and after-purchase support are paramount whether it's a kitchen faucet purchase, a bathroom reno or choices to complete a new home. Although I believe that a better quality product is found at other than the discounted DIY stores, your experience proves that name recognition among designers can be disappointing.

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    3 years ago

A lot of what you have heard about name-brand faucets sold in big box stores like Home Depot or Lowes is urban legend. However, let me emphasize the "brand name faucets". Nothing said here applies to off-brand or store-brand faucets.

1. Name brands build make some faucets just for big box stores (BBSs). TRUE. But if the model number is exactly the same as the faucet from a plumbing supply store it is exactly the same faucet. The caveat is that while it is exactly the same faucet, odds are very good that it was made in China or Mexico rather than in the U.S. or Canada. BBSs set price points very low, only Asian- or Mexican-made faucets can meet the price demand.

2. Brand name faucets sold in BBSs are made of cheaper materials like plastic or zinc instead of brass. Probably FALSE. The unit cost of producing special plastic/zinc parts for BBS faucets which would be made in relatively low quantities would probably be nearly the same as using the higher quality part which is made in very large quantities. Economies of scale apply when you are making thousands of the same model. Most likely if a part is plastic in the BBS model, it is also plastic in the non-BBS model.

That being said, we have seen examples of models in BBS stores with plastic parts where the same parts are metal in the regular models. It's pretty rare, though, and we're not at all sure that the reason is the company changed the faucet over time and the non-BBS faucet was manufactured earlier while the parts were still metal. Due to price pressure, even very good faucets now have plastic parts, generally in areas of the faucet like aerators where the strength of metal is not needed. Except for the cheapest economy-model faucets, plastic parts do not affect a faucet's performance if used properly.

3. Warranty and parts service for name brands like Kohler, Moen, and Delta is not as good for faucets bought at BBSs than it is for models bought from plumbing suppliers. FALSE Customer service is the same no matter when you buy the faucet. By contrast, post-sale customer service for off-brand and store brand faucets is generally almost non-existent.

-----

Remember to save all of the documents that come with the faucet (except the obvious promotional materials) along with the receipt for the faucet and the plumber's invoice, if any. Place them in a clear plastic envelope (a freezer bag works well) and tape them to the wall of the cabinet under the sink. That way you can find them when it's time to make a warranty claim or order a replacement part 20 years from now.