Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberm145_gw

bathroom fan with light

amberm145_gw
9 years ago

Do ventilation fans with integrated light have the ability to have the fan and light controlled separately?

I am looking for a ventilation fan for a toilet closet. Being such a small space, I like the idea of a fan with integrated light. But I don't necessarily want the fan on whenever the light is on. Or have the light on when the fan is on.

Comments (5)

• chispa
    9 years ago

Yes. I have the Panasonic Whisperlite which has fan, light and nightlight. I had the electrician wire each one separately so I have a switch for the fan, light and nightlight. In addition the special switch plate I ordered has a humidity sensor and timer, so the fan will activate with high levels of humidity. You can also manually turn the fan on with the switch and it will shut off automatically after 20 minutes ... a great feature with kids.

• loves2read
    9 years ago

CHISPA--looking for fan with those optons--what model # of that Panasonic, please?

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

We purchased this Panasonic fan:

FV-08VKSE3 WhisperGreen LED⢠80 CFM Ceiling Mounted Ventilation Fan with DC Motor and LED Light

and have a switch each for the fan, the fan light, and the night light:

The switch on the left is the lighted dimmer switch for the light over the vanity. I made the labels because I'm never going to remember which one is which! Another bonus of this fan is that it's so quiet that it's hard to tell if it's on. Anytime I leave the room and the fan is on, I also turn on the nightlight so that I'll remember it's on and turn it off later.

It's possible that even though we only bought this fan last May that there is a newer version available that costs even less - or at least that's what I think the Amazon page is saying. You might want to check panasonic.com to see the 16,000 models and combination of features they offer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panasonic page for this model

• chispa
    9 years ago

loves2read, below is the humidistat switch we used. Similar set up to the photo above, but our switch goes on the right, so left single switch on left side for fan light and 2 buttons on humidistat control the fan and night light. Humidistat will sense high humidity and turn on. Also when you turn on fan manuallly, it will run for 20 minutes and then shut off.

We used the Panasonic FV=11VQL6. Just make sure the fan and switch are compatible, there were 2 kind of motors available for the Panasonic fans and you had to pick one (don't remember details now) that worked with the humidity switch.

There was also a Panasonic fan with a built in motion/humidity sensor, but my DH did not like the concept at all as he did not like the idea of the fan turning on when using the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Here is a link that might be useful: Humidistat switch

• loves2read
    9 years ago

thanks very much to both of you
    we are going to talk to contractor tomorrow and want to have specifics in contract about fan and switch/controls...