Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k9fan

Anyone one have Americh Madison bathtub?

k9fan
12 years ago

We are at the point of needing to order the bathtub for our remodeled master bathroom. This is going to be a shower-over-tub -- a separate shower didn't fit into our space restrictions. We are getting just a soaking tub, no spa jets.

We want a tub that's deep enough to soak in, so we have to balance the depth of the tub with its overall height, since we will frequently be stepping in and out for showers.

We've settled on the Americh Madison, which is a pretty decent 15.5" deep to the bottom of the overflow drain but still a manageable 22" in overall height. We've also settled on a 66" length. Now we need to decide between the 36" width and the 34" width.

The Madison has arm rests,a feature we wanted, which makes the interior narrower than otherwise expected. By our actual measurement in the showroom, the 36" model is 22" wide across the bottom. According to the spec sheet, the 34" model is only 18" wide at the bottom. We don't want to make an expensive mistake by ordering an uncomfortably narrow tub. There was nothing comparable in the showroom in which to sit.

The 36" wide tub felt a trifle wider than ideal to me to use the armrests (I'm only 5'2"), but we wonder if the 34" tub might feel cramped. My husband says he is okay with the choice either way. Neither of us is very big (height or width), but of course the tub should be comfortable for guests, too.

Does anyone by any chance have exactly this model, Americh Madison 66x34, that you use frequently for bathing? If so, I would love to know your impression of the width. Thanks!

Comments (35)

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

When we shopped for tubs I felt that 36 was too wide. Also takes more water. Even a 32 would not be too slim. We are not tiny, and our Victoria + Albert York freestanding pedestal tub is very slim at the base, but wider at the top and it seems plenty big for us. Interior well is 25 inches at the top and 17 at the bottom of well. Exterior is 68 and half long while exterior width is approximately 30. They look small until you put them in your own home and they grow!!! We feel even in our large bathroom that this is a good size for the room. One thing to keep in mind is the inside dimensions along with your desired exterior size. You don't want it too big or too small but if I were to err I'd err on the smaller side. JMO but we don't use the bathtub all that often so YMMV!

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

P.S. I am sorry that I answered as I don't have the Americh Madison model but just wanted to share our findings while tub shopping! Good luck! We have been doing so much remodeling and purchasing lately it appears I have encountered overload information that I seem to like to share oops so sorry!

• k9fan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gr8day,

For heaven's sake, don't apologize! I really appreciate your comments about bathtub width and I thank you for answering. I hope no one will hesitate to reply just because they don't have this exact tub, though of course I would love to have the input of anyone who does.

Susan

• k9fan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Following up already to say that the bathtub is delivered (though not installed), so I sat in it and it has ample width for me and I am sure will be okay for my husband, too. We are about 5'2"/125 lbs and 5'6"/155 lbs respectively, so not exactly large people, so take that into consideration if you are considering this tub. Still, it seems like it would fit a somewhat wider person as well.

I like the fact that with the narrower width, it will fill faster and take less water. We paid for the extra insulation (about $200). I don't know if that will prove to have been a good investment, but it should mean the bath stays hot longer.

• trec
    12 years ago

SusanCF: how are you liking your Americh Madison tub? We are thinking of either the Americh Madison or Miro in the 66x32x22. For some odd reason, none of the showrooms in this area display Americh. Do you like your tub? We are concerned the 22" might be too high; we are around your height-how do you like the 22" height of the tub? Thanks for any feedback :-)

• k9fan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi trec,

We still haven't moved into our remodeled house (!) so I can't tell you how we like the tub. If you can wait a month and ask me again ...

I just went and measured the height of the free-standing tub in the rental in which we currently live, and it happens to be 22". I will say that it is a noticeable height to step into (we are in our 50s-60s), but it hasn't been a problem. There's of course a trade-off between the depth of your tub and the height of the tub edge, and we thought the Americh Madison struck a good balance for us.

BTW, looking at our new tub, I started worrying again if it was too narrow (though I know from sitting in it that it's not). We chose the 34" width with the idea of not feeling confined, but still having it fit into our small space and we also wanted to reduce the amount of water needed to fill the tub (we also bought the insulation upgrade to keep it hot longer). I definitely recommend sitting in the exact tub you're planning to buy to see how it feels to you. I don't know where you are, but in the San Francisco Bay Area we finally found Americh tubs in a Pacific Sales showroom. You might contact Americh and ask which showrooms in your area have them.

• trec
    12 years ago

Thanks SusanCF. For some strange reason Americh refuses to display out here in the Boston area. I've called all the showrooms in my area on the Americh site and none display them (I even opened the search area to NH, CT & RI!). Anyways, best of luck in your remodel...from what I've heard about Americh, you'll be happy once it's done. The Madison looks like a fabulous tub.

• weiss528i
    12 years ago

We have the Madison airtub and love it. We chose the 36" version since the tub doubled as our main shower while our Master Bathroom shower was under construction. No complaints so far since we started using the tub last June ..

Good luck.

• LE
    11 years ago

Anyone still reading this thread who has this tub or even considered and rejected it? It is on my short list along with a Kohler Archer, but the armrests on the Madison look a lot like the ones I have on my current tub, which are really comfortable.

Here's what I'm getting from the spec sheets:

Archer-- drop in only
    basin width at narrowest point= 19 11/16
    basin length = 45
    depth, to base of drain= 15
    finished floor to top of tub= 19
    width- outside = 32

Madison, 32" drop in or undermount
    basin width at narrowest point= 18
    basin length = 40
    depth, to base of drain= 15
    finished floor to top of tub= 22
    width- outside = 32

From what I see here, this makes me conclude that the Archer has a straighter back (longer basin length, same overall length). The width will be fine for either one (I compared to my current tub).

Looks like the Archer has an advantage for a step-in situation, since it has the same water depth, but is 3" shorter, so that's what they get with the linear drain. But this tub will have an adjacent shower and I now have a tall tub that I sit on the edge of and swing my legs over to get in and out, so to some degree, higher is better.

Any opinions? Based on experience or even just a check on my logic-- just let me know which it is!

• k9fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, we did get the Americh Madison tub (34" width), and we both find it quite comfortable. I have only taken one bath in it, but my husband has taken a few and says it's the most comfortable tub he has ever used.

I find the step-out to be *slightly* high, though I don't notice it on the step-in. I measured and it was one inch higher to step out than to step in. I'm glad we installed a grab bar in the tub surround. It makes getting in and out of the tub feel just a little more secure.

On the other hand, if I had known about a tub with just as high a water level and a 3" shorter step-in, I would have definitely checked it out! That sounds intriguing.

Another thing I like is the arm rests. The 34" tub has them at a good width for me. Without them, my arms might feel a bit jammed at my sides in the relatively narrow tub.

• sibernsen
    8 years ago

HI Everyone, The last post was almost 3 years ago. We are embarking on a bathroom remodel and I found the Madision tub at Pacific Sales (live in San Diego) and really liked it. The decision is about the size. We are small 5'3" and 5'6", but have a very large bathroom. I don't want to undersize the tub for the room. I also want it to work for the next owners and would hate for a small tub to turn them off 10 years down the road. I was thinking to do the 6638 or 6640. But reading k9fan makes me wonder if the arm rests would be too wide for us. I like the upgraded package with the chrome and all that. Pacific Sales will be around $4500 with everything I want (bigger tub doesn't cost much more). I saw a listing on plumbtile for $1200 for the 6642 base unit
    http://www.plumbtile.com/plumbing-tile-product/Am-MA6642T.html?_vsrefdom=Americh&gclid=CI365-ORo8UCFROUfgod01sA0Q

Any thoughts on side now that you've own a Madison for several years?

BTW, must also consider water usage as we're in a terrible drought.

• LE
    8 years ago

We've had ours since July. It's a small one in a small room, I can't recall if 30 or 32 wide. I think 34 would be as wide as I'd want to go and still be able to use the armrests, which were one of the reasons I chose this model. I have a 6 ft tub in my current house and decided to go shorter in the new house. I think I use it more because I know it uses less water. Plus of course, it fills up faster!

It is so hard to make these decisions without having the exact tub to sit in! I do find the shape and lumbar angle of the Madison very comfortable, though. It is deep, and I get really relaxed in there, so we installed a 12 inch "assist bar" vertically at the foot. Very handy for hauling my self out of there after a long soak!

• designdee8
    8 years ago

I'm debating on the americh or jason and the main reason for our master bath remodeling is the tub. We currently have a 60x 60 corner that sits empty even though i am a tub person. The angle is awful so my quest for a tub with excellent lumbar slope is top priority. I like the idea of a 2 person tub, so center drain is prefered. I think armrests are beneficial as well but not sure. I have hit every showrooms trying empty tubs and the jason and americh seem my top choice so far. Any input is appreciated

• chisue
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

May I just ask if "Americh" is as high a quality porcelain as Kohler, etc.? You really want something that is going to hold up for decades.

Do I understand that some of you are going to use this as a tub/shower? Is the bottom of the tub *flat* and wide enough to feel secure when you shower? I've showered in some hotel tubs that made me nervous.

When I chose a jet-tub (not for use with shower) I wanted to be able to brace my feet against the end and not slide down helplessly. Since DH prefers to shower, I got an Ultra Bain the right size to fit *me* -- and to fill fast. It's 14 years old now; never any problem. I am very glad to have the arm rests and side handles, especially as I have aged and need them to help me up and out.

• HU-142420834
    5 years ago

I am considering purchasing the Americh Madison 60"x32" whirlpool tub. I am blind & because of my highly sensitive hearing, have concerns about the noise produced during use. There are no showrooms in south Florida that have a functioning one for me to listen to. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

• vicbayside
    last year

I am also currently looking at the Americh Madison 66x34. Just to update, this tub also has the option for the linear overflow which make the water a bit deeper. Its good to know its been around for so long and so many happy customers. We will be using as a soaking tub only because we have a jacuzzi outside for the rest.

• Bre B
    8 months ago

These comments are really old, but we have a new Madison in the garage waiting to be installed. It's the only tub that seemed to recline back close to as much as our old tub. Our old tub was 72 long and 36 wide. The previous owners bought it much to wide for the area it was in. They actually cut and rounded out a good portion of the doorway trim, from the top of the tub to the floor in order to make it fit. It looked ridiculous. We bought the Madison jetted tub, 72 length and 34 width. As some have said, the interior looks really small. It will be an adjustment for us to get used to the downsize, but I'm sure it will be fine. Just curious if anyone who commented all these years ago will see this and if so could you please repost your feelings and thoughts on the Americh Madison.

• vicbayside
    8 months ago

Hello Bre B, we are in the middle of a master bath and kitchen reno. We have the Madison 66x34 in Biscuit, with handles and linear drain. No jets because we have a jacuzzi right outside this bathroom. I also liked the recline and will use it as a soaking tub. Looking forward to trying it out! It doesnt seem that anyone on this old post is coming back to share. Hope yours works out for you.

• Bre B
    8 months ago

Vicbayside, thanks for responding. Ours will be installed within a day or so. Maybe today? I'm so excited! Your bathroom is amazing. I love all the room that you have and the angle that the tub is set at. You have sooo much shelf space. Ours will be in an alcove so I bought this shelf. We are having a caddy recessed into the wall also. It's going to be great to get all the bottles and stuff off of the tub ledge. The faucet and the rest will now be on the wall too rather than on the tub ledge. Will be so much better. Jacuzzi outside the door... Very nice. We used to have one in our sunroom but the whole thing was not set up right (was floor level, it was big) and the people who built it precariously balanced it on chunks of cement, boards, whatever and the floor was collapsing so we took it out and remodeled the room. Enjoy your new tub. We will have to update once we get to try it out. ☺

• Bre B
    8 months ago

Vicbayside

• vicbayside
    8 months ago

Bre B thats a really nice tub shelf. Looks like its in place now, thats exciting. Thanks, our bathroom is really big, bigger than we need for sure. I love recessed niches, we will have one in the shower. I like faucets on the wall above the tubs, it looks good like that. Can't wait to see the finished room. I will post mine when its done as well.

• Bre B
    8 months ago

Vicebayside, I will post mine too. We have walls now and the rest should go in next week. Not sure when the tub tile backsplash will go in. It will take 2 to 3 weeks to get our countertop installed after the vanity is installed and we are laying our own floor so it will be a little while till it's done. But after waiting a year to finish planning and for the contractor to be able to get to us, it's almost done. YAY! ☺

• Bre B
    8 months ago

Vicsidebay, just so you know, the tub shelf is a stock photo, not my bathroom. I din't float rose petals in my tub. I wish. 😂

• vicbayside
    8 months ago

Not YET you don't 😉

• Bre B
    5 months ago

Vicbayside, we have the remodel mostly done. I love the tub. It's soooo long and deep. Narrower than our last one but it doesn't matter at all. Here are some pics. Of course we still have things to do, like decorate and a few other things. Have you started yours yet?

• vicbayside
    5 months ago

Thanks for sharing, it came out beautiful! Glad you love the tub! I think these posts are so helpful for those considering what to buy. We are just about done and will share as well. Enjoy your soaking!

• Bre B
    5 months ago

Vicbayside, my husband just refinished all the doors and hung our hands towel bars. We are ready to hang the curtains and are looking for bath towel bars. A few extra things he is going to do is put rollouts in the vanity and make a shelf in the vanity with an electric plug panel in it to store and plug in the hair dryer and curling iron. Then we should be done except for decorating. I need a decorator......... 🤷‍♂️

I can't wait to see your bathroom.

• Alfredo
    3 months ago

@vicbayside so happy you posted thst photo. I just ordered a undermount Americh madison but was starting to get cold feet about it. It looks so clean and the stone supplier looks like they did a great job with the template.

• Bre B
    3 months ago

Alfredo., We downsized from a 36 inch to a 34. Our original was way more spacious but it's just a different newer cut now. More straight up and down. It's plenty big, even though much narrower and it's really long, which is nice for my 6 ft tall husband. If we had the space I would always go wider but the old one was so wide for the doorframe that whoever built the house cut out 3/4 of the lower doorframe to make it fit. Very odd.. I will post a pic of the inside so you can see it.

• Bre B
    3 months ago

• vicbayside
    2 months ago

Alfredo here it is. It’s beautiful and comfortable. The linear drain helps with filling higher. It’s very deep.

• Bre B
    2 months ago

Vicbayside, yours looks beautiful. How nice that you have so much space to put a large deck around it . What are the tub dimensions? Your tub looks huge.

• vicbayside
    2 months ago

Hi, I think we have the same size. It’s 66 x 34 in biscuit color. It’s really nice and deep.

• Bre B
    2 months ago

Yours looks much larger than mine in your pictures. Mine is 34 x 72. It's really long but it great for my husband. Our grandsons love it.