Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marine paint not tile for shower? Circo shower by Dreamline?

Posted by mls99 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 4, 10 at 21:04

I'm not keen on tile anywhere except on the floor. Call me crazy, I just dislike grout turning moldy. Has anyone used marine paint (like boat paint) instead of tile for a shower? If so, was it successful or not? How did you deal with those soap holders or little shelves on which to put shampoo? Any other ideas?

We have a crazy little bathroom, the window runs the whole width of the outside wall, the opposite side (with the door) has a very low ceiling thanks to an AC duct that was added. So I've been eyeing up the Circo shower by Dreamline that looks like a circle cut off on one side. That side will be against the wall. Anybody else done something similar?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marine paint not tile for shower? Circo shower by Dreamline?

What would the substrate be? Marine paint, like Awlgrip, is epoxy. (It is sooooooo nasty to work with. Make sure you have a serious, serious respirator.) But marine paint is usually applied over either epoxy resin-coated wood or fiberglass, making a pretty waterproof surface even before painting. I don't think I'd be comfortable just painting it on drywall. What were you thinking of painting it on?

If you're going to build some type of structure to paint, with carefully sealed corners and all that, you could build in niches for shampoo just like a tiled enclosure, I guess.

Also, remember that marine paint is super glossy, not matte like regular wall paint. So your room style would need to reflect that.

I think someone here (Pharoah?) has a shower that they lined in mahogany and coated with marine varnish. That's basically the same idea, so they might have some tips.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here