Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Design around this: Brushed Black Matrix granite

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 20:54

The fabricator who is doing the granite for my new house has a remnant that he is willing to let me have for a reasonable price. It is called Brushed Black Matrix, I think. There are finger-sized areas that are polished black surrounded by areas of texture that sparkle in the right light. Although in the photo the texture looks gray, it is black.

I am thinking of using it in the guest bathroom which will double as a powder room.

The givens are a white tub with a white subway tile surround. I prefer a white toilet.

I need suggestions for lighting, vanity base (color and style), wall color, shower curtain, and flooring. Accessories? Do you see an undermount sink? If so, black or white? Do you see a vessel sink? Clear glass? Seeded glass?

My general style is traditional, but most of my artwork is contemporary. I like Chinoiserie style too. And I could see a soft contemporary bathroom blending into my house. Overriding any style, I'd like for it to look stunning.

I have this mirror but I don't have to use it if there is something better.
PB Elise photo img59m.jpg

This is the Brushed Black Matrix

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Design around this: Brushed Black Matrix granite

Your granite is wonderful - and it should go with almost anything you would want to pick, from cottage to traditional to very contemporary. Personally I am not a fan of vessel sinks so I would recommend a white undermount. Depending on the overall design, probably a chrome or stainless type of hardware.

Here are a few inspiration pictures from Houzz showing a tremendous variety, even within your description of white tub, tile and toilet, traditional with contemporary art, possibly Chinoiserie, and stunning! I love it!

Contemporary with medium toned wood and grey walls, floor (tub surround could easily be white)

grey cabinet, more transitional

Stunning! Dark, vivid bold colors. A bold shower curtain over a white surround would look similar

traditional dark wood vanity with dark walls and contemporary accessories

Very neutral colors, but another sink option

one more with a dark grey/black granite on a modern, pale wood vanity with dark floors

I would suggest you browse Houzz a little - it is a great place to find inspiration.

o

I saw that granite yesterday at Bedrosians. It is gorgeous. When I was looking at it (for fun, I was there to choose white marble) I imagined it being used in our mountain vacation home. Dark gray tile on the floors, rustic dark reclaimed wood vanity and shelves. I'd do a black or dark gray under mount sink. Good luck.

o

jrueter, I'm on houzz.com so often that if I just type "h" the address bar automatically fills in the Houzz website! Although I go to Houzz often, I feel that my search skills are sub-par on that website. Thanks for the help.

jacqueline5, you are describing to a "T" a bathroom that I've pinned! Love it, but I'm thinking it may be a tad too rustic/industrial for my guest bathroom. I had the picture pinned as an idea for my upstairs guest bathroom. Maybe I ought to reconsider. Isn't it stunning granite?

If I were to go in the rustic/industrial directions, do you know whereI could get lights like those? I tried searching for "stage lights," "klieg lights" but never found the exact thing I wanted.

o

Anyone have any ideas for a more traditional look with this granite? If I use it, is contemporary or industrial the only direction that I can go?

o

OK, here are some "transitional" or "traditional" bathrooms with black/grey granite

Slightly asian, with gorgeous wallpaper:

Very traditional - similar mirror to yours

A lighter grey granite than your matrix, but I think the matrix would also work well with a simple, traditional white vanity

Traditional with grey walls and floor, dark vanity

Traditional, less rustic option with slate

A little more vintage/traditional with the white tile:

I really don't see contemporary or industrial being the only choices. I think you could do almost any style with this granite, but since it is dark, you will need to balance it with some lighter elements.

I highly recommend you search the Houzz bathroom pictures for bathrooms with wallpaper. Talk about some stunning rooms!

o

Good idea re pix with wallpaper, jreuter! I'll give it a try. Love all of these! The fabricator has suggested that I use it for my kitchen island instead of hiding it in a bathroom. I had planned to use White River in the kitchen (similar to Kashmir white) with walnut on the island. I'm having trouble imagining the Black Matrix with almost any other granite.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here