Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmhall2000

Tiling my tub surround...what shelves do you find most useful and

lmhall2000
16 years ago

where do you place them?

This tub will mostly be used as a tub but occasionally one of my girls will want to take a shower...the greenboard/hardibacker takes up most of the tub space so they won't have any areas to lay shampoo bottles and such on the tub except at the side of entry....do any of you like/dislike where/what kind of shelves you put in the bath?

I was thinking of a long shelf on the wall opposite the fixtures centered low enough so you could reach it while in the tub or shower...then a soap dish on the long side? I will probably have to buy it at HD or Lowe's so I may not have much option...any tips on installing those???

Thanks so much!

Tara

Comments (12)

• tiledepotus
    16 years ago

Hi Tara

I will recommend a niche shelve, that way you still got the space when you standing up
    Check out these niches ideas

Here is a link that might be useful: Recess & Niches

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

Swanstone makes a couple, including one in the link below that holds multiple bottles of shampoo and bars of soap. We've installed it in a couple of our bathrooms and love it. To install it, you cut a hole in the hardibacker, tile around the hole, then push the niche/shelf thing into the wall, gluing it to the tile. It has a lip that covers up the edge of the tile and looks really nice. I can post a photo of the one we've got in our tiled shower if that would help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swanstone recessed soap/shampoo shelf

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

tiledepotus-- Just curious-- who makes your niches? I know the ones at the bottom of the page are Innovis, but what about the ones at the top?

• tiledepotus
    16 years ago

Fin pan for the preformed and curtis for the color ones

• MariposaTraicionera
    16 years ago

Tile, are they similar to Bonsal? I had to return the larger Bonsal because it would not fit between the studs, and was looking for another option. Those prices are way lower than the Bonsal prices!

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

If your studs are 16" on center as they should be, the Innovis shelves (at the bottom of his link) will fit.

• MariposaTraicionera
    16 years ago

Bill, mine are not quite 16" according to the klutz that was working on the bathroom.

BTW, do you build the niche yourself?

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

First off, the CENTERS of the studs will measure 16". Inside the bays BETWEEN the studs will only be about 13 1/2- 14".

BTW, do you build the niche yourself?

Any time I can.

• ericklapietra
    16 years ago

you have some tough choices ahead of you. You can easily find some marble that accents and works well with the surrounding area, and make like a corner shelf in one section and then make a cut in shelf on the long wall for your soaps. i think the use of granite or marble will make the bathroom look imaculate and even spark some interest in re doing the bathroom since you've come this far..

but FIRST!! call and make sure that where ever you bought that tile in the first place HAS SOME MORE IN STOCK! I have ran rings around town and jumped from hoop to hoop trying to find tiles that match in NUMBERS of bathrooms ive done..

• johnmari
    16 years ago

We used the plain inexpensive Lenape ceramic corner shelves, two placed one above the other. They worked just beautifully, held a surprising amount of stuff (I could put three 1-quart bottles of soap/shampoo/etc. on one shelf, with room for toothbrush, toothpaste and razor) and I thought they looked very nice. Were I to do it again I'd put a third just for grins, because threes look nicer than twos IMO. They were only about $15 apiece at HD. Daltile/American Olean makes similar ones for about the same price but I thought they were "clunkier" looking than the Lenape shelves.

• tiledepotus
    16 years ago

Actually the fin pan niches designed for 16" o.c.

If I had to choose which one, I would only consider the finish size, modifying the framing, not that big deal, any contractor or DIY could modify it in short time, and it dose not require special skill.

• tiledepotus
    16 years ago

I should have read the next threads before responding :)

Another note:
    Bonsal used to be the distributor of fin pan for the U.S abut 2 years ago or so, the stop or been stop been their distributor

Looking at their site, it dose look very similar niches

My Opinion and experience, the are all good , ( and I know abut 7 manufactures )just make sure you get the price and the size you like, between all of them now you get almost every possible sizes

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations