Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snert_gw

Help with grout color - pictures

snert
14 years ago

We are in the midst of a basement remodel of our 1920s bungalow. We are adding a small, period bathroom. The floortile is tumbled marble white-gray baseketweave with dark squares, and we are using unglazed Dal-Tile hex for the shower floor (I know, no very period, but we like the look.)

We were thinking about using a charcoal black grout for both, since I think you need the dark line to achieve the basketweave look. My GC tells me that black will look bad, show all of the imperfections in the natural stone, and discolor the natural stone over time, he recommends a white or perhaps grey.

Is he right? What color grout do people recommend? FWIW, we are using unsanded grey grout for the Dal-Tile arctic white subway wall tiles.
{{gwi:1491903}}From Basement Remodel

{{gwi:1491904}}From Basement Remodel
{{gwi:1491906}}From Basement Remodel

Comments (24)

• snert
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Forgot to say that the hex tile is black (obviously). :)
    {{gwi:1491908}}From Basement Remodel

• User
    14 years ago

I don't know what the correct answer is, I just remember looking at the vinettes at our local Tile Shop and they used the lighter grout with the basketweave. It makes sense really since more of the tile is light than dark.

• snert
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was thinking that dark would help the "optical illusion" of the basketweave?

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

We were thinking about using a charcoal black grout for both, since I think you need the dark line to achieve the basketweave look. My GC tells me that black will look bad, show all of the imperfections in the natural stone, and discolor the natural stone over time, he recommends a white or perhaps grey.

Is he right? What color grout do people recommend? FWIW, we are using unsanded grey grout for the Dal-Tile arctic white subway wall tiles.

Your GC is absolutely right. The thing is the white tiles will make that black stand out even more and overpower the tile. If you were to use a soft grey, it'd be enough to make the pattern stand out, but subtle enough that the tile could shine through. Not sure whose grout you're using (what manufacturer). Tell me that, and I'll make a recommendation.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

In fact, I can even SHOW you what it'll look like with the soft grey. Look at the very first picture you posted. That's EXACTLY what it'll look like.

• sherri_09
    14 years ago

I just wanted to suggest you do a search for tulipscarolan, and take a peek at her bathroom if you haven't already seen it. She used all marble hex, not basketweave, but she used black marble hex for her shower floor. Thought you might want to see what her grout looks like w/her marble. Good luck w/your decision. Your bath sounds like it w/be beautiful. I'm envious of your basketweave!

• sherri_09
    14 years ago

Just wanted to add that Bill is definitely your man for recommending grout colors. We installed Dal-tile white hex on our bathroom floor, and we used a light gray grout which Bill recommended. Couldn't be happier.

• snert
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If you were to use a soft grey, it'd be enough to make the pattern stand out, but subtle enough that the tile could shine through. Not sure whose grout you're using (what manufacturer). Tell me that, and I'll make a recommendation.

Bill, thanks. Would the charcoal grout work for the black unglazed hex tiles on the shower floor, or do you recommend a soft grey there as well? I will ask the GC which grout brand he plans on using. He also said that we can't use sanded grout due to the tight grout lines.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Nope-- Charcoal will do fine with them. :-)

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

My fingernails and cuticles were black for several days after a charcoal grout job I did a few weeks ago. Used 17 bags of grout, and that was using a grout bag. Oy!

The more the tile color and grout color differ, the more "pop" you get. Pop can be good, pop can be bad.

I'm with the others though, I'd recommend a light-medium gray or silver-gray for the basketweave and a dark gray or charcoal for the black hex.

Were you to use charcoal grout on the marble, while it would look dramatic, any imperfections or fissures in the marble would pick up and hold the grout, the marble would stain and look dirty. There are ways around that, but it gets labor intensive.

As far as the recommendation for "white" grout...I really can't think of a situation where I'd recommend a true white grout on a floor in a traditional, non-contemporary bathroom. While there are exceptions, something in the gray or silver family almost always looks and wears better.

Mongo

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Hey Mongo-- Shoot me an email. Might have some tile work for you in Mystic, if you're interested.

• snert
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bill - we are using PolyBlend grout. We already bought a box of Delorean Grey for the white subways. What color do you recommend for the basketweave and the black hex? Thanks!

• skippy05
    14 years ago

snert, just wanted to say that the basketweave is absolutely beautiful, Enjoy!

Bill & Mongo, sure wish you guys were in the Philly area!!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

The Delorean Gray would work, or the 386 Oyster Gray.

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Bill,

Appreciate the offer but I'll have to take a pass this time.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Not a problem. :-)

• jilld17
    14 years ago

We just got done with a shower with the same type of basketweave floor tile. We used Custom's grout in Platinum for our walls (white subways) and in Delorean Grey for the floor . . . if I had to do it over again I think I would have used the Platinum for the floor as well. The Delorean is just a tad too dark.

• snert
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the tips. We went to HD and ended up special-ordering 2 boxes of Polyblend platinum unsanded grout. 2 questions:

The tile guy at HD said to be sure that we seal the tumbled-finish marble basketweave before we grout, and then seal again after we grout. Is this right?

My wife is considering a 4-5" "border" of 1" black square tiles along the perimeter of the bathroom, as we have seen on a few pictures here. The bathroom is small, only 4'6" feet wide and 5' deep to the shower curb. Will this make it look smaller or the opposite?

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

The tile guy at HD said to be sure that we seal the tumbled-finish marble basketweave before we grout, and then seal again after we grout. Is this right?

If you're doing it, yes. If a pro's installing it, leave it up to his (or her) discretion.

Will this make it look smaller or the opposite?

Good question. Because of it being so dark a border, I think it might tend to close the room up a little.

• snert
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are a couple shots of the basketweave and the black hex. We are using the Platinum grout for the walls and the basketweave. My GC is saying we should use the same oclor grout to "tie it all together" but wouldn't the black hex look better with a darker grey (e.g., DeLorean Grey)?
    {{gwi:1491909}}From Basement Remodel
    {{gwi:1491910}}From Basement Remodel

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

My GC is saying we should use the same oclor grout to "tie it all together"

What it would do is make it alot easier for the installer, being he doesn't have to worry about getting the wrong color grout either in the joints of the floor, or on top of the already grouted floor. I agree-- a bit darker grey would work much better-- even a charcoal. Using a charcoal with this hex would be the same thing as a light grey with the white tiles-- just enough of a shade off to show up the pattern, but not enough to take away from it.

Either way, using a real light colored grout in that black hex, IMO, would be a mistake. But then again, it's not my floor, either. :-)

• ke75
    14 years ago

snert,

What grout color did you end up using with your white subways? I'm doing a similar shower.

Bill,
    If you have any light gray grout suggestions for black/white hex floor and white subway walls that would be great!

Thanks!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Mapei's Warm grey
    Custom's Platinum
    Laticrete's Silver Shadow

Those are the three tops.