Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ledmond

here's another way to do it (curbless shower)

LE
9 years ago

What do you guys think? Too late for me, ours is all done except the glass install. I haven't seen the "valley" in the floor done like this before. I like the way they use the different sizes of the same tile and align them. This is one huge shower, though-- pretty sure our entire bathroom could fit in here!

I also noticed the pop can on the edge of what looks like the installed tub during construction. Our GC had our tub wrapped in shrink wrap at this stage, thank goodness!

Here is a link that might be useful: curbless shower via Build Blog

Comments (4)

• enduring
    9 years ago

I am going to be a critic. I am not a builder, only a DIY'er. I would have used a linear drain instead of the center drain that is in this article.

I didn't see the description of the tile laying technique, t wonder if they put another protective membrane over the cement slope. If water gets to the membrane that is fitted over the subfloor it will pond and not go any where, because the subfloor is not sloped. I have seen a lot of problem showers on the forum due to flat shower pans collecting water instead of sloping to the drain.

But I would prefer a linear drain with one plane angled to the back of the shower, instead of the centerline trough. And I really don't like the catch basin. I could see me falling into it with my foot, and soap in my eyes, lol.

• LE
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My impression was that the trough or "catch basin" as you called it, could be left exposed like this, or could be covered with a steel grate. At that point, it would look like a linear drain. Our linear drain is actually built sort of like this, in the sense that it just has a round drain in the middle of a trough, it's just covered up with a linear piece-- tiled, in our case, to become "invisible."

I agree, I'd rather have it disappear. I don't think I ever stand that close to the wall, but it does look sort of disturbing. These guys build very high end and what look to be thought-out houses, so I would be very surprised if they didn't have the waterproofing figured out. But maybe not enough detail here to take away and DIY.

I just know I looked at and for an awful lot of examples of curbless designs and didn't always find what I was looking for. (Maybe I'll post mine here if the grout ever gets sealed and the glass guy installs the side panel.)

• enduring
    9 years ago

Yes, I thought that the linear drains were like this example, without the cover in place. You're probably right about the article not including important details of the tile installation.

Overall the bathroom is very nice looking.

I look forward to seeing your bathroom.

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

I agree with enduring. Their schematic has the liner flat on the subfloor, which is a no-no. The liner itself should be sloped. A 3" to 4" layer of mud, covering that large of a shower footprint over a flat membrane? It could get ugly.

It does look like they used a topical membrane which is the smart thing to do on a curbless. The wall almost looks like it has blue covering red. Hydroban over RedGard? Who knows?

I do like that they used a 3" drain. I don't see that often, even when required by code.

I know the finishing details are not all included, but the user might need a springboard or a stairway to heaven to get into that tub.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH